All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2013, 03:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Simple really -- even if you like anything that can be classified as 'horror', what do you like least? For me, the answer is franchise horrors that just follow the same template as the original film for each sequel. I'm not keen on things like Friday the 13th: Part 7 and all of the Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street sequels. Some of them have merits but they are not a patch on the original with the possible exception of Friday the 13th 2. I think it's when you get over three films in a franchise that there is a problem.
I agree there is loads of films where after part 3 I've lost interest, saw, children of the corn, hellraisers, are just a few besides the ones you have mentioned.
Think of top my head only one where have watched pass three is final destinations..
Old 1st July 2013, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
For me it has to be the fairly recent torrent of torture crap. This can be split into two:

- we got some semi-decent intelligent flicks like Saw and possibly Hostel, then suddenly we get a million sequels or imitations which are not true horror. Just an excuse to milk money and ride the waves. I do not want to see 90 mins of shit and people being traumatised (perhaps it is me who is traumatised with being so bored?).

- the number one pet-hate for me has to be the low budget torture gore stuff that is just sick and perverted. You know, Toetag releases, August Underground, Vomit trilogy etc. I HATE this stuff to the core. It gives horror a terrible name, and I just don't understand why folks will want to watch movies like this. Times like this i kind of like how this stuff doesn't get official releases in Britain, not on a censorship level but just not encouraging the idiots who makes these films to make more.

2nd type of horror is the animal stuff. I love Lenzi, Martino etc, but just hate seeing animals in their flicks. One of the reasons I would never watch that Mondo crap.

Phew I feel better now.
Totally agree with you on likes of Grotesque etc and guinea pig series these arent films in my opinion just films for sicko, surely there isn't something right if these type of films are someone's only interest. Also films that are similar and only offer gore for gore sake and nothing else, you at least want a story of some sort even if the film isn't to you're taste or crap..
Old 1st July 2013, 03:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Even though I haven't seen any to know I hate the look of things like "Twilight" etc, they just look utter shit.
I call it twishite.
Old 1st July 2013, 03:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Exorcism films, there's so many of them, The Devil Inside, The Last Exorcism, Exorcismus, Last Exorcism 2...etc. All try but none of them come close to the out right sheer horror of The Exorcist. Saying that, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a great film, maybe i like that one because it's less of a horror and more of a courtroom drama.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 1st July 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Ghost films that hammer everything home with ott effects and loud noise. Have these film makers never seen The Haunting? Subtlety always works best - the creaking of a door, a flapping curtain.

I was also fed up of found footage films until recently, i hadn't watched one in a year or so then i watched The Lost Coast Tapes and Evidence, both of which i rather enjoyed.

I think my real pet hate is PG remakes of slasher and horror films from the eighties. The Fog, Prom Night etc.

Then of course remakes of J - Horrors. Which watered down the scares and added crash bang wallop (see the first paragraph of this post).

J-Horrors themselves are another dislike, especially as they all turned out to be the same film after all that, with a few exceptions.
pedromonkey likes this.
Old 1st July 2013, 03:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Ghost films that hammer everything home with ott effects and loud noise. Have these film makers never seen The Haunting? Subtlety always works best - the creaking of a door, a flapping curtain.

I was also fed up of found footage films until recently, i hadn't watched one in a year or so then i watched The Lost Coast Tapes and Evidence, both of which i rather enjoyed.

I think my real pet hate is PG remakes of slasher and horror films from the eighties. The Fog, Prom Night etc.

Then of course remakes of J - Horrors. Which watered down the scares and added crash bang wallop (see the first paragraph of this post).

J-Horrors themselves are another dislike, especially as they all turned out to be the same film after all that, with a few exceptions.
Totally agree on the PG remakes, The Prom Night Remake was utter balls.

Like this? Share it using the links below!