Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Christmas Horror! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/4152-christmas-horror.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 31st October 2007 05:12 PM

Festive Horror Movies

With the festive season fast approaching (Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time was playing in a shop today :ack:) I am searching for some Christmassy movies to fill me with seasonal fear... I mean, cheer.

I know there's stuff out there like Black Christmas and, if I got desperate to the point of being suicidal, the Black Christmas remake, but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any Christmas-themed exploitation films of the rather sick variety?

There's only so much Miracle On 34th Street a girl can take! :puke:

Philleh 31st October 2007 07:17 PM

Silent Night, Deadly Night 1, 2,3, 4 and 5! (although 4 and 5 lose it all completely, father christmas gets replaced!)

Chirstmas Evil

Don't Open Till Christmas

Jack Frost 1 & 2

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

Sarah@Cult Labs 31st October 2007 07:57 PM

Thanks! I seem to remember watching at least one of the Jack Frost films once upon a time. Haven't seen any of the others though. It'll give me something to watch when I get fed up of Christmas sized queues in Primark!

If anyone has anymore suggestions, keep 'em coming!

vincenzo 31st October 2007 11:59 PM

Don't Open Till Christmas is absolutely abysmal but also an absolute must. Poor old Santa takes a right pounding in this one (speared, baked in hot coals, castrated in a London toilet etc). You won't see a worse film but you also won't see a more entertaining one.
The Film 2000 DVD (extras-free alas) restores all the (heavy) BBFC cuts but is slightly re-edited and misses out a Santa being shot. No matter. Grab it anyway. :)

Silent Night, Deadly Night urgently needs a UK release. Never been submitted over here, though the sequel was rejected back in 1987.

Other seasonal delights......

Silent Night, Bloody Night - Awful print and not particularly Christmassy but not a bad film nonetheless. John Carradine had a wonderful speaking voice but in this film plays a mute.

Pranks - Vaguely set at Xmas but devoid of atmosphere. Also devoid of 10 secs of a head-drilling because Vipco were too lazy to find an uncut print. An original Video Nasty but could well qualify for a '15' now.

To All A Goodnight - David Hess directed it and I have vague memories of a decapitated head in a shower and dead bodies buried in soil. Other than that it's been about 20 years since I last saw it and the memory fades a bit.

Tales From The Crypt - Ye olde superior British horror compendium classic which includes Joan Collins being pursued by a looney Santa after she murders her husband.

I'm sure I've forgot some but that's a taste of Xmas mayhem to consider. :)

Sarah@Cult Labs 1st November 2007 08:26 AM

I saw Tales From The Crypt not long ago on TV. Loved it! There's a Region 1 copy of Silent Night, Deadly Night but it's a tenner which is more than I can afford. Think I'll have to go ebaying soon!

Thanks for all the suggestions! :D

vincenzo 1st November 2007 10:58 AM

Tales From The Crypt was recently released on a R1 DVD paired with Vault Of Horror, though the latter sadly featured the edited U.S TV print.

Crypt is fully uncut (the UK video version was the cut cinema print).

RobbieD 1st November 2007 03:37 PM

Jack Frost II is AWFUL! (And not even in a so bad it's good way.) The first one is fun. :)

herman 6th November 2007 03:12 AM

um Black Christmas maybe?

failing which maybe National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. :)

RobbieD 15th November 2007 12:58 PM

Here's a newer one which hasn't been released in the UK yet: P2, by the director of Switchblade Romance and The Hills Have Eyes remake. It takes place during Christmas Eve. A woman, on her way home, is locked in a carpark and trapped and tortured by a stalker. It's not brilliant but there's some suspenseful scenes and some nice gore. :)

Philleh 15th November 2007 03:47 PM

Tartan own the rights here, think they are aiming for a January release. Even though it all takes place on Xmas Eve! lol