Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   What is your top comedy horror? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/4231-what-your-top-comedy-horror.html)

caprioni 16th December 2010 08:37 PM

What is your top comedy horror?

A really good horror comedy be it intentional or not is a rare beast indeed.....

There are 2 that I come back to time and time again and always go down well when I have friends over:

Nightmare City has it all, great sound track, amazingly bad acting/script/effects, epic contrived ending. Also one of the best panning shots in motion picture history....maybe a slight exaggeration there ;)

Dead Heat: Great spin on the standard buddy cop movie. Awesome camp dialogue, pure 80's trash.

Both have so many rewind moments.....

So my question is what is your favourite horror comedy?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th December 2010 08:40 PM

Memorable titles I go back to include;

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
BRAINDEAD
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

However,king of the horror hilarity for me,has to be Jackson's BAD TASTE.:cool:

Tell you one thing.....ISLAND OF DEATH got plenty of laughs at it's Glasgow screening in October....;)

caprioni 16th December 2010 08:59 PM

All the ones you list are superb, have a massive soft spot for Bad Taste. 'The head shot is the only real stoppa'!.

Hammer time 16th December 2010 09:55 PM

As you can see i like 80's comedy
Serial Mom
Transylvania 6-5000
Hysterical
Once Bitten
Fright Night

and The Wicker man remake "OH, NO! NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES! AAAAAHHHHH! OH, THEY'RE IN MY EYES! MY EYES! AAAAHHHHH! AAAAAGGHHH!"
:pound:

PaulRobinson 17th December 2010 06:31 AM

Serial Mom for me... the beating to death with a leg of lamb is inspired!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th December 2010 07:12 AM

Some of my favourites:

An American Werewolf in London
Braindead
The Fearless Vampire Killers or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck
Gutterballs
Poultrygeist: The Night of the Chicken Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Splatterdragon73 19th December 2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caprioni (Post 117291)
Nightmare City has it all, great sound track, amazingly bad acting/script/effects, epic contrived ending. Also one of the best panning shots in motion picture history....maybe a slight exaggeration there ;)

God only knows, i love NC with a passion!

But also what about Zombie Creeping Flesh, Rats:Night Of Terror and Burial Ground?

Side-splittin' Spaghetti schlockfests all of 'em!:nod:

Vampix 20th December 2010 02:30 AM

Mine are:

The Fearless Vampire Killers
Bad Taste
Braindead
Re-Animator
Zombie Holocaust
Burial Ground
Zombie Creeping Flesh

BioZombie 8th January 2011 10:10 AM

For my top horror comedy I would find it hard to decide between Evil Dead II and Braindead. Probably with Bad Taste coming a close third.

Others I'm a big fan of are:

Shaun of the Dead
Street Trash
Bio Zombie
Versus
Meet the Feebles

Concertina 8th January 2011 09:45 PM

Shaun of the Dead (because I want to marry Edgar Wright)
Dead and Breakfast...sweet sweet zombie rockabilly.
Of course Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness
My Best Friend is a Vampire (which I always liked more than Once Bitten although Jim Carrey is the best)
Dead Alive ("I kick arse for the Lord!!")
Oh man...so many more that I know I am forgetting...I will have to post again I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspector Tanzi 8th January 2011 10:09 PM

Theatre of blood.

PaulRobinson 8th January 2011 10:28 PM

I also have soft spot for Idle Hands...

thundercrack 8th January 2011 10:31 PM

Evil Dead Franchise
Braindead
Tokyo Zombie
Black Sheep (the New Zealand one)
Theatre of Blood
Carry on Screaming

and some others I've forgot.

Gojirosan 8th January 2011 11:00 PM

In no order whatsoever, these comedy horror films have pleased me over the years!

Bubba Ho-Tep
Braindead
Bad Taste
Gremlins
Piranha
(both versions)
An American Werewolf In London
Theatre Of Blood
Motel Hell

The Evil Dead flicks
Creepshow
Basket Case
Brain Damage
Frankenhooker
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Serial Mom
The Old Dark House
Comedy Of Terrors
The Raven
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Arachnophobia
Tremors
The Frighteners
A Chinese Ghost Story
Encounters Of The Spooky Kind

The Mr Vampire flicks
The Feast flicks
The Re-Animator flicks
Society

...brain hurts...must stop...making...list!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th January 2011 01:00 PM

I agree with each and every one of the films on that list as they are all excellent horror-comedies but my favourite would have to be An American Werewolf in London, probably with Shaun of the Dead and Evil Dead 2 rounding off my top three. I keep meaning to make a definitive top 10 list and this is probably the inspiration I needed.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th January 2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 120786)
Theatre of blood.

Forgot about that - great choice.

One of my favourite Price movies, too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th January 2011 01:43 PM

There are so many Vincent Price horror films that have a comedic element simply because of the nature of his performance as he is definitely not afraid to achieve the scenery and put a flourish on every other line!

zombiematt 15th January 2011 09:32 AM

I always have a soft spot for Critters (just for the scene where the critter is trying to talk to E.T) Brain Dead (as it kicks arse for the lord) and Return of the living dead cause they want your brains and it made me laugh my butt off as a kid).

ArnoGoldfinger 16th January 2011 12:03 AM

We come in peace...

Bit of a guilty pleasure but Tim Burton's 'Mars Attacks!' made me laugh. Thought long and hard about whether it could be counted as horror and was reminded of all the hilarious and grisly death scenes. I love animals but the cows on fire just made me hoot with laughter.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th January 2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnoGoldfinger (Post 122229)
Bit of a guilty pleasure but Tim Burton's 'Mars Attacks!' made me laugh. Thought long and hard about whether it could be counted as horror and was reminded of all the hilarious and grisly death scenes. I love animals but the cows on fire just made me hoot with laughter.

I've only seen Mars Attacks! once and didn't really think much of it but that was years ago and should really give it another try. I'll add it to my Lovefilm list (once my 'holiday' is over) so I can give it a reappraisal.

ArnoGoldfinger 16th January 2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 122266)
I've only seen Mars Attacks! once and didn't really think much of it but that was years ago and should really give it another try. I'll add it to my Lovefilm list (once my 'holiday' is over) so I can give it a reappraisal.

Hope you enjoy it. BTW what is the LoveFilm list?

If you haven't seen thw wonderful BBC series 'The League of Gentlemen', I can thoroughly recommend that. Was partially inspired by Hammer Horror. There is also a movie 'LOG's Apocalypse' which is quite gothic and probably fits in the horror comedy genre. The same writers also produced a series called 'Psychoville' which had some good dark laughs.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th January 2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnoGoldfinger (Post 122417)
Hope you enjoy it. BTW what is the LoveFilm list?

It is the list of films I want to rent from the online company Lovefilm -- it's quite a long list at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnoGoldfinger (Post 122417)
If you haven't seen thw wonderful BBC series 'The League of Gentlemen', I can thoroughly recommend that. Was partially inspired by Hammer Horror. There is also a movie 'LOG's Apocalypse' which is quite gothic and probably fits in the horror comedy genre. The same writers also produced a series called 'Psychoville' which had some good dark laughs.

I'm a massive fan of The League of Gentlemen and have all three series and the film on DVD. I haven't seen Psychoville but will investigate it and maybe add it to my Lovefilm list!

JoeTerror 26th January 2011 07:28 PM

Zombieland all the way! OMG! I've seen it about 5 times now and the dialogue and "rules" still crack me up! NUT UP OR SHUT UP!

mbv 30th January 2011 07:52 PM

Young Frankenstein tops my list.
There is hardly a minute in it that is not funny as hell.
It has affected my enjoyment of the original as I find myself giggling when I watch some scenes(especially the scene with the blind guy).

ZigZagZombie 30th January 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTerror (Post 124321)
Zombieland all the way! OMG! I've seen it about 5 times now and the dialogue and "rules" still crack me up! NUT UP OR SHUT UP!

Just watched this for the first time the other day and am kicking myself for not seeking it out sooner. Whilst I wouldn't say it was the most laugh out loud horror comedy I've ever seen (though it certainly had its share of those moments) I thought it struck the balance between those two genres very well. If nothing else, don't think I've seen many other horror films which I found so completely heartwarming.

As for my own favourite comedy horrors there are many that spring to mind and many I'm sure I've forgotten about, but here's a few:

Ghostbusters - Anyone who's seen Zombieland will no doubt appreciate why this one springs to mind at the moment. The humorous elements, hopefully self evident to anyone with a pulse, need no real comment, but I often forget that some bits are a wee bit intense (Sigourney Weaver's armchair ride towards the hounds of hell springs to mind) especially when watched as a little 'un.

Braindead - As Jamie Russell suggests in his excellent book on the history of the zombie movie, this is surely the zenith of the splatstick subgenre.

Theatre of Blood - Possibly Vincent Price's greatest role and a veritable buffet of nudge nudge, wink wink jokes for Shakespeare fans.

Society - Wasn't sure whether I liked the presence of the somewhat cartoonish humour that sometimes crops up in this film (especially in the final act) at first but upon further consideration I think it was ultimately a good idea for two reasons. Firstly, I think it helps underscore the point that the film should be treated as a satire and secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I think without the lighter elements it would be perhaps a little too grim and intense. Others have totally disagreed with this latter point and think the humour deflates some of the impact of the horror, and I can certainly see their point. Anyway, to each their own ;)

Lots more spring to mind but I'll mention one last film I saw recently which is now burnt into my retinas for eternity:

Troll 2 :lol: Again, as with Zombieland, am kicking myself for not checking this out sooner. The thing that baffles me most about the whole film (and there are many many things that do) is I can't get my head round whether it's meant to be a comedy or not. It stretches my sense of credulity to sheer breaking point to imagine that parts of the cast or crew weren't in on the joke, if there was one of course. And finally, as I've said elsewhere, I did actually find one or two bits quite creepy, such as when Joshua appears to start turning into a plant (the green slime aside of course).

blu 24th February 2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 117292)
Memorable titles I go back to include;

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
BRAINDEAD
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

I'll second this great list with Shaun of the Dead being my fave.

gb52 10th March 2011 01:16 PM

The Raven from 1963-Peter Lorre is pretty hilarious in it.

Susan Foreman 8th June 2016 12:59 PM

9 Brilliant Horror Comedies - Shock Till You Drop

JamesN 8th June 2016 01:11 PM

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD is my all-time fave. Here are a few others that never get old to me:

* RE-ANIMATOR
* NIGHT OF THE CREEPS
* AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
* THE EVIL DEAD 2
* SHAUN OF THE DEAD
* FRIGHT NIGHT (the original, of course)
* BUBBA HO-TEP

THE FRIGHTENERS was fun. One that really impressed me recently was COOTIES -- I didn't expect much at all from this one, considering I'm sick and tired of zombies and even more sick and tired of zombie comedies (yeah, nevermind the fact that I'm a walking contradiction, considering some of the titles I listed above as favorites), but I had a blast with COOTIES. A lot of that had to do with folks I really like in the cast.

Nordicdusk 17th January 2024 11:56 AM

Is there any notable horror comedies over the past few years they can be very very very hit or miss for me Renfield would be a stand out for me recently can't think of much else.

MrBarlow 17th January 2024 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No matter how many times I watch this, it still makes me laugh.

Nordicdusk 17th January 2024 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 694655)
No matter how many times I watch this, it still makes me laugh.

Always a great time :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2024 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 694646)
Is there any notable horror comedies over the past few years they can be very very very hit or miss for me Renfield would be a stand out for me recently can't think of much else.

Yes, Renfield definitely. Fantastic film. I really hope it stands up to repeat viewings.

Nordicdusk 17th January 2024 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 694676)
Yes, Renfield definitely. Fantastic film. I really hope it stands up to repeat viewings.

Yes hopefully it does I haven't picked up a copy of it yet but I do plan on it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2024 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 694677)
Yes hopefully it does I haven't picked up a copy of it yet but I do plan on it.

The Blu is currently £6.99 on Amazon if that's any help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renfield-Bl...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

MrBarlow 17th January 2024 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 694679)
The Blu is currently £6.99 on Amazon if that's any help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renfield-Bl...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

That's a bargain.