Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Rollin DVDs: best versions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/4358-rollin-dvds-best-versions.html)

Gojirosan 10th January 2011 07:24 PM

Rollin DVDs: best versions

I have an urge to get back into the film of the late Jean Rollin and feel my VHS stuff needed upgrading.

But, my god! There are a lot of different releases of his stuff! I read the thread about The Grapes Of Death with interest, but wonder if I could ask you guys for any more tips on releases with priorities being (in order) uncut status, original aspect ratio, original language (but English friendly) and then anamorphic picture. I don't mind non-anamorphic releases of 1.66:1 films very much at all, so that is fine, but I do prefer good transfers and uncut!

I know the Encore releases are the most collectible (and increasingly expensive!) but are they necessarily the best? How are the Redemptions?

I am particularly interested in:

The Living Dead Girl
Fascination
The Grapes Of Death
Frissons des Vampires
Requiem For A Vampire
La Vampire Nué

but open to recommendations over other films.

I've looked on DVD Compare, but wanted some "horse's mouth" information from you good people.

thundercrack 10th January 2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 121071)
I have an urge to get back into the film of the late Jean Rollin and feel my VHS stuff needed upgrading.

But, my god! There are a lot of different releases of his stuff! I read the thread about The Grapes Of Death with interest, but wonder if I could ask you guys for any more tips on releases with priorities being (in order) uncut status, original aspect ratio, original language (but English friendly) and then anamorphic picture. I don't mind non-anamorphic releases of 1.66:1 films very much at all, so that is fine, but I do prefer good transfers and uncut!

I know the Encore releases are the most collectible (and increasingly expensive!) but are they necessarily the best? How are the Redemptions?

I am particularly interested in:

The Living Dead Girl
Fascination

The Grapes Of Death
Frissons des Vampires
Requiem For A Vampire
La Vampire Nué

but open to recommendations over other films.

I've looked on DVD Compare, but wanted some "horse's mouth" information from you good people.

All the Dutch Encore special editions are Uncut except for 1 which is missing 7 secs.

Also the Encore special editions are the best editions of those films.

That reminds me to pay someone on this forum for the rest of the Encore special editions sets as I got Lips of Blood off a different member.

Gojirosan 11th January 2011 03:10 PM

Thank you, Mr Crack!

thundercrack 11th January 2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 121275)
Thank you, Mr Crack!

Here is the DVD Comopare site page for Dutch Encore DVD company

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - The Home of DVD Comparisons - Part of The Rewind Network

The Shiver of the Vampires is the one that is cut. Here are the details

R0 2-disc Dutch CE is the clear winner in terms of extras and Anamorphic transfer, but R1 -release is "complete" version (includes 9 seconds that is missing from the Dutch-release).

Gojirosan I hope this helps.

Gojirosan 13th January 2011 01:07 PM

Well, I just went for the Redemption releases of Grapes Of Death and Living Dead Girl, as they were both under a fiver, whereas the Encores (if you can find them) are nearer £30 each!

Annoying that the anamorphic AWE disks are not English friendly, as they can be had very cheaply!

bdc 13th January 2011 09:17 PM

Try mailing OMG about the Encore releases. ;)
They still have a few listed (but out of stock) at 20 Euro and maybe they can also get the other ones?

thundercrack 13th January 2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 121593)
Well, I just went for the Redemption releases of Grapes Of Death and Living Dead Girl, as they were both under a fiver, whereas the Encores (if you can find them) are nearer £30 each!

Annoying that the anamorphic AWE disks are not English friendly, as they can be had very cheaply!

Gojirosan you should pm bigandya as he might still have Lips of Blood (Encore) DVD for £15 but none of the other Encore ones as I have bought them off him, I bought Lips of Blood from a different member.

Pete 17th January 2011 10:14 AM

This months DVD World comes with a free copy of Rollin's The Escapees.

Daemonia 9th February 2011 02:05 AM

The Dark Side magazine put out a double-feature of Rollin flms which included an uncut, anamorphic transfer of Fascination, which I think Redemption have subsequently put out themselves. Most of the Redemption US releases were decent enough. The Encore DVD of Lips of Blood looks very badly framed to me, very tight and looks zoomed in. The Synapse DVD of Grapes of Death is another stunning Rollin release that's well worth picking up.

But of all Rollin's films, Living Dead Girl is probably my favourite. It's a beautiful but haunting film. The only low-point is that awful band that plays in the town square midway through the proceedings. :lol:

Chucky 9th February 2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundercrack (Post 121287)
Here is the DVD Comopare site page for Dutch Encore DVD company

The Shiver of the Vampires is the one that is cut. Here are the details

R0 2-disc Dutch CE is the clear winner in terms of extras and Anamorphic transfer, but R1 -release is "complete" version (includes 9 seconds that is missing from the Dutch-release).

Gojirosan I hope this helps.

Typical. The one Rollin / Encore film that I have and it's the one thats cut. :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me what content is cut from this?

(the above link isn't working for me)