Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 02:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"Salem's Lot" did it for me as a kid but as an adult I can't think of anything that has frightened me.
Yep, first time I saw Salem's Lot when it was broadcast on TV as a two parter scared me, it was that floating kid scratching at the window.I loved Reggie Nalder's Mr Barlow make-up job too, really unnerving.Other classic horror films that scared me on first viewing are: Black Christmas (1974), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Changeling and The Evil Dead.

Last edited by Vampix; 12th May 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12th May 2011, 05:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

This will go over the heads of all the posters under 30, but some of a certain age will understand and may even agree.

Between the ages of 6 - 10, it was tv that really frightened me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCA0XAY1X.jpg (6.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCA1JP4IT.jpg (8.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCA7YYD3H.jpg (10.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAGPD8ZB.jpg (4.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAWUYRH6.jpg (8.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg j.jpg (8.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAZMB1B8.jpg (4.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAFQ2HBL.jpg (14.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 12th May 2011, 06:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm under 30, but I could probably name most of those episodes, Demdike - Classic Dr Who was so my better than the CBeebies poor excuse for what passes as Dr Who nowadays.

As for scary films, I can honestly say I've never been 'scared' by a film to date, mainly because even though I immerse myself into the story when viewing, I'm still aware it's only a movie. That's not to say that I don't find films eerie or creepy, but I've just never had a scary viewing experience.

The fact that I didn't get into watching any horror films until I was about 10, could probably explain my above statement, my viewing before then consisted mainly of cartoons, sci-fi and action films; I only really got into horror in a big way in my teens.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm under 30, but I could probably name most of those episodes, Demdike - Classic Dr Who was so my better than the CBeebies poor excuse for what passes as Dr Who nowadays.

As for scary films, I can honestly say I've never been 'scared' by a film to date, mainly because even though I immerse myself into the story when viewing, I'm still aware it's only a movie. That's not to say that I don't find films eerie or creepy, but I've just never had a scary viewing experience.

The fact that I didn't get into watching any horror films until I was about 10, could probably explain my above statement, my viewing before then consisted mainly of cartoons, sci-fi and action films; I only really got into horror in a big way in my teens.
Is that how you counteract your fears - keep repeating- its only a movie, its only a movie.

Some good points made there though.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
it all depends on your ability to suspend belief surely.....i still find things that scare me whilst im watching them but, and this is purely me, the last film that creeped me out i.e. restless sleep etc. was (drum roll.....) The Blair Witch Project. ok its a rollicking mix of CH and Nuts in May, and may make people dismiss this missive out of hand, but cant help the way i feel. though St Johns Wort had same effect at the time, rewatching sadly diminished its impact...c'est la vie!!
I fully subscribe to that- except for in my case even repeated viewings haven't lessened the effect on me- I guess "Blairwitch" is one of those rare movies which really managed to touch upon a good couple of my subconscious fears

As a teen, "Absurd" really scared the lving hell out of me, though that was mainly due to George Eastman's threatening appearance and the unnervingly effective soundtrack.

As far as jump scares go, the bit in "Jaws" when Hooper is taking a dive only to be suddenly confronted with a pale faced body ALWAYS catches me off-guard- always!
Old 12th May 2011, 06:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Here we are in the year 2011, most video nasties are available uncut in the UK, grisly torture images are on view in practically every new horror release, all manner of creatures and demons can be created using computer effects.

BUT are horror films actually scary?

Have they ever been scary?

You can have your stomach turned, but are you actually frightened ?

Have we been desensitized to horror as the years have rolled by?

Have your say, which films scared you? if any, and give reasons, it may make others want to watch them.
Desensitized by all that 'Girly shit'?

Seriously,though-good thread Dem!

Last scary films I saw were Paranormal Activity and The Strangers.

Of course when you are younger,all the favourite horror films were FAR scarier,than when you're now longer in the tooth.

Films I still find scary,and these will no doubt be the culprits that terrified me when I was a pup are;
SALEM'S LOT
THE CHANGELING
And I'm struggling to think of any others......

What REALLY is scary,is that people HAVE been desensitized into thinking that Near Dark is a superior film to The Lost Boys.......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

POLTERGEIST gives me the runs! Funny thing is I saw it several times as a kid and it never bothered me once but when I got older..

PRINCE OF DARKNESS gives me the chills aswell.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Is that how you counteract your fears - keep repeating- its only a movie, its only a movie.

Some good points made there though.

I've got it pasted to the top of every TV in the house as a permanent reminder in case I get scared!
Old 12th May 2011, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post

What REALLY is scary,is that people HAVE been desensitized into thinking that Near Dark is a superior film to The Lost Boys.......
Dunno what you're on about Reaps, I thought The Lost Boys was the prequel to Twilight...

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th May 2011, 06:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And I thought Near Dark was the eighties equivalent to tranquilizers....

However.....

This has been discussed before,but here's another 'Caramac inducing' 'film' from my childhood......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!