Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2011, 10:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Those in the UK of a certain age surely must remember Armchair Thriller...

YouTube - ‪Armchair Thriller, Quiet as a Nun‬‏
I posted this up about 6 months ago. Armchair theatre really used to do the buisness when it came to shocks. It actually got to the stage where the music for it would have me behind the sofa before the program actually started:!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th May 2011, 10:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Ju-On/THE GRUDGE (Original) in the right setting is VERY scary!

However the scariest thing I've EVER seen is how a director was ever allowed in a so-called civilized world to unleash this on the public.....

Old 6th July 2011, 11:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to paranoidbrunette

When I was younger and I saw Blair Witch for the first time in theaters, it scared the shit out of me, I didn't go in the woods for like 6 months after that...and I lived in the sticks.

I recently rewatched Nightmare on Elm St - classic 80s horror film that is ACTUALLY freaky and scary, unlike most of the B horror films which are just hilarious (Troll 2, Motel Hell, Basket Case, etc).

The Legend of the Psychotic Forest Ranger Facebook Fan Page (we're giving away posters!)
Old 7th July 2011, 07:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Hi! I'm Richard, 42, GSOH and...hold on...wrong forum!

Like some other posters, TV shows had content that scared me most as a child. Anyone remember The Omega Factor, with Louise Jameson (Leela in Doctor Who)? It was cheap as chips but very well done; more a series of plays the budget was so low, but it creeped me out. Doctor Who did on occasion, too.
Then came VHS and rentals. At age 13/14 I scared the living crap out of myself watching The Exorcist. Perhaps it was because I was brought up a Catholic (now lapsed - surprise!). i might have been because my parish priest wouldn't confirm or deny that exorcisms were real that somehow validated the movie. Strangely, The Evil Dead scared me at the time I put it down to the white eye contacts and the grungy make-up; far better than the rubbery fakery of ED2.
As I've gotten older, I still find the movie unnerving if I watch it on my own but otherwise, I've exorcised that fear
first time I saw Blair Witch I was with a a group of people that wanted to see it (as in not the great unwashed that just wanted to check it out cos an ad told them to). I thought it was 90 minutes of a girl whinging. But the punchline ending was a good one.

Now, sadly, I just get the occasional goosebumps in movies and have become largely immune to jump/crash scares. You know, the ones sign posted by an orchestra. REC genuinely made me jump; the scene where the fireman falls. That wasn't signposted.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Ju-On/THE GRUDGE (Original) in the right setting is VERY scary!

However the scariest thing I've EVER seen is how a director was ever allowed in a so-called civilized world to unleash this on the public.....

ah, the Grudge....has anyone seen the Wii game btw?? eeks aplenty (and this just in the demo i played)...creeped me right out (but then i hate kids )
the remake....hmmm. i had a friend who though mired in BM, Power electronics, industrial noise blah blah...wouldnt watch horror films (possibly the only metal fan who doesnt???) his infamous quote being "shit on your Ichi the Killer, i cannae stand Itchy & Scratchy!!.." ahem. he rang me up one night saying he was watching the remake of said ju-on with the immortal line "there's something coming down the stairs...!!! what is it??" this isnt to take the piss out of the guy, i just wish i still had some of that genuine fear...as that last thing to really creep me out was Snuff 102. which is a far way off from watching Night of the Big Heat as a child and being scared of the beastie in that!!!
Old 28th July 2011, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
"shit on your Ichi the Killer, i cannae stand Itchy & Scratchy!!.."
Old 28th July 2011, 11:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
yeah, ive used it a few times myself, he's some loon (male person, noun, doric)

Like this? Share it using the links below!