Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:10 PM
Ex-member

The main reason why Faces of Death Is one of the sickest movies have ever seen Is becuase I saw It at a young age fully uncut these days only some part of the film Is sick to me.
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:41 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
It's not a bad book at all. There are shedloads of mistakes, especially relating to more modern films, but as censorship books go it's definitely an essential.

John Trevelyan's What The Censor Saw is also an enjoyable read.
The Trevelyan book is very enjoyable and well worth reading.

I've always been fascinated by what the reasons behind censorship were so any insight has always been welcomed.

Dewe Matthews book is also very enjoyable but needs an update.
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:18 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

What about 'Irreversible' - that was pretty disturbing - the rape went on forever. Very powerful film!
Old 25th July 2008, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Scrapbook deserves a mention. It also holds the record for the heaviest cuts in recent years.
Old 26th July 2008, 06:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Here's my comments on Cannibal Holocaust based on the cuts made by the BBFC in 2001.

Cannibal Holocaust was classified '18' for video release in 2001 with the following cuts:-

At 17 mins: Remove all sight of muskrat being killed.

Short scene but very cruel. The BBFC won't be waiving this cut.

At 19 mins: Following LS sight of man holding naked woman's head as she lies on the ground, remove sight of woman dragged through the mud and having her legs forced apart.
At 20 mins: In same sequence, and following LS sight of man preparing to attack naked woman lying on the ground, remove all subsequent sight of woman struggling and being raped with wooden dildo.
At 20 mins: In same sequence, and following sight of man raising nail-studded mud ball, remove all subsequent sight of naked woman being genitally mutilated.

In this scene the woman is psysically restrained by ropes. The BBFC will always come down harder on scenes like this. She's also completely naked as well which only makes matters worse. However she is completely covered in mud from head to toe making the scene look more grotesque and less of a sexual turn on than it otherwise may have been. Somehow I can see some of the cuts here being waived now. It was previously cut under 2001 guidelines (see also House on the Edge of the Park). The genital mutilation and part of the rape will still be cut but some of the cuts could be restored now. The scene doesn't really focus/dwell on the woman's nudity - the main reason the BBFC would cut such a scene today.

At 31 mins: Following LS of tribesmen on riverbank, remove all sight of woman being raped. Resume on MS sight of men slicing corpse.

I really can't see the BBFC cutting this scene today. It last's barely 10 seconds.

At 51 mins: Following sight of giant turtle dragged from river, remove all sight of turtle being dismembered alive and disembowelled. Resume on MS sight of man filming. Reaction shots in which turtle or parts of turtle are not visible may remain.

No chance of the cuts ever being waived. This scene goes on forever with numerous and totally unnecessary lingering close ups as the turtle is literally pulled apart.

At 60 mins: Following CU sight of blonde man's face, remove entire sequence where top of monkey's head is sliced off and blood is drained into a bowl.

Cruel. It's not going to get passed the BBFC. Again shot in extreme close ups.

At 63 mins: Following LS sight of man approaching tethered pig, remove subsequent sequence showing tethered pig being kicked and shot.

Strangely I found this to be the worst cruelty in the film. The BBFC will pass this scene on the same day they pass the uncut Death Wish 2 with a 15 rating.

At 76 mins: Significantly reduce rape sequence.

This scene was cut by 30 seconds. Again it's a complete mess with the actors rolling about in mud and the camera not focussing properly. I'd be surprised if the BBFC were to cut this scene today.

At 82 mins: Remove MS sight of woman's genitals before she is dragged away by cannibals.
At 86 mins: After woman is partially stripped, remove all sight of her underwear being removed and her subsequent rape.

I think most of this scene could pass now. During the rape, the camera keeps its distance. There are no lingering close ups or focus on nudity. As brutal as the rape may be that in it self should not be a reason for cuts.

Overall I think the sexual violence cuts could be reduced. The animal cruelty cuts will remain the same.
Old 26th July 2008, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Whats oXEN about.?
Old 26th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes I fully agree, Angel. If they'd submitted the uncut print this time then I'm sure much of the sexual footage would pass now. The mudball scene would be the most problematic, though even this could possibly get away with far less cuts than before.

The animal cruelty would remain cut and rightly so.
Old 26th July 2008, 09:37 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post

The animal cruelty would remain cut and rightly so.
Zann wont agree with you there lol
Old 26th July 2008, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorman View Post
Zann wont agree with you there lol
Just as I don't agree with him.

If people want to see such footage then the uncut version is easily obtainable from overseas. Problem solved.
Old 27th July 2008, 05:19 AM
Ex-member

Each to their own!! I have the Grindhouse DVD with choice of uncut or animal cruelty free versions. It's the uncut version every time for me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!