Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: Best King Adaptation?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best King Adaptation?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2008, 01:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Totally agree 1408 was utter bollocks!
1408 started off well then it went downhill quickly.A shame as I'm a sucker for a good ghost story.Thinner & Firestarter were rather underrated IMHO.
Old 24th August 2008, 01:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Rose Red would've worked better with an hour removed though its nothing special.I'm not keen on his own version of TRUCKS Maximum Overdrive.I know it was remade under its original title but I've never seen it.Creepshow 2 while not anywhere near as good as the first is mildly entertaining.Apparently the third one is lousy.Riding The Bullet had a couple of creepy scenes but I regard that as one of the worse too.Graveyard Shift is crap but entertaining crap !.
Old 24th August 2008, 03:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And has anyone seen the black & white version of The Mist yet? I liked it a hell of a lot better than the colour version (what i've seen of the clolour version that is!),The CGI effects looked mucher better in b&w I thought.
Old 24th August 2008, 09:29 PM
Cultist in Training

I voted for The Dead Zone. I wanted to vote also for The Shining. But it's a Kubrick movie. Stephen King has not much to do with it (his "official" TV mini serie version is really awful, by the way).

David Cronenberg did an amazing work on Dead Zone. He filtered the novel in such a clever way... it's brilliant! And the performance of Christopher Walken is heartbreaking. One of the best adaptation of Stephen King, and one of the best movie of Cronenberg.

I'm big fan of the Cronenberg of the 80ies: Videodrome, Dead Zone, The Fly and Dead Ringers are all excellent.
Old 24th August 2008, 11:59 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
And has anyone seen the black & white version of The Mist yet? I liked it a hell of a lot better than the colour version (what i've seen of the clolour version that is!),The CGI effects looked mucher better in b&w I thought.
I really liked the B/W version but I don't mind the colour version either. Depends what mood I'm in and whether I want to watch a 50's creature feature or a great genre picture from the 70's or 80's.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this one was held in the same high regard as "The Thing" in years to come, a picture in which it this shares quite a few similarities.

There are other greats though on there, including amongst others Carrie, Salems Lot, Dead zone, The Shining, IT and Storm of the Century (which I really like also).
Old 25th August 2008, 04:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Dead Zone is arguably the finest on that list.
Salem's Lot (Hooper) is also a masterpiece of terror IMO......
Ralphie and Danny Glick,Geoffrey Lewis in the rocking chair,the master in the kitchen with the priest,Marjorie Glick rising from the dead,the master's appearance in the jail....all brown trousers material.....
Old 25th August 2008, 05:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

THe only really ropey CGI effect I can recall in The Mist was the tentacle.I thought the other creatures in the movie were great.Considering the fairly low budget the film worked out well & I'm also sure as I've mentioned before it will be better thought of in the future.Hopefully the Momentum release will contain the B & W version.
Old 25th August 2008, 05:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
The Dead Zone is arguably the finest on that list.
Salem's Lot (Hooper) is also a masterpiece of terror IMO......
Ralphie and Danny Glick,Geoffrey Lewis in the rocking chair,the master in the kitchen with the priest,Marjorie Glick rising from the dead,the master's appearance in the jail....all brown trousers material.....
As I said before everyone was talking about this in my class the day after its premiere.I also love the part where the crate is moving around in the delivery truck.'It' was ok but nowhere near as creepy unless you had a clown phobia.
Old 25th August 2008, 08:45 PM
Cultist

I agree, Rose Red was very dull and lacked any level of tension or spookiness and was an utter disappointment.
Old 25th August 2008, 08:49 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
THe only really ropey CGI effect I can recall in The Mist was the tentacle.I thought the other creatures in the movie were great.Considering the fairly low budget the film worked out well & I'm also sure as I've mentioned before it will be better thought of in the future.Hopefully the Momentum release will contain the B & W version.
I completely agree that the CGI'd tentacle was the only 'ropey' effect and I am holding off from buying the US DVD release until I find out what the UK edition has on it.

I think this film will last a long time and will be one of those films that gets discovered every now and then and will become a major success on DVD. It really is a remarkable film and I think my friends have grown tired of me telling them how remarkable it is.

Like this? Share it using the links below!