Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2011, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Mya dvd

I was wondering which dvd's people owned on the Mya and One 7 movie labels.
Specifically the quality of the source materials and if they thought they were up to scratch.

I own Door into Darkness which is very poor quality, but is still the best version likely to be available.

Hunchback of the Morgue which is a decent print and Blade of the Ripper which is very good. (look forward to the Shameless release)

There are well over 60 titles available, many of which i have never seen or heard of before.

I realise they are an off-shoot of the brilliant, now sadly defunct Noshame label and charge top prices for often inferior picture and sound quality.

Any thoughts?
Old 18th March 2011, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The connection between Mya and NoShame is still being disputed.
Most of Mya's releases seem to have crap pic quality...
Almost all of the good releases are mainly ports of other (mostly NoShame) discs.

One7 seem to be the same as Mya regarding pic quality...

I have:
Four Flies on Grey Velvet (which is good pic quality)
Door into Darkness (master tape source)

Probably won't be buying any others soon.
Old 18th March 2011, 04:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I don't own anything on the One 7 label but the stuff released through Mya is wildly inconsistant in terms of transfers.

I have:

Four Flies On Grey Velvet (looks great but there's missing footage and one of the night time scenes is not properly colour corrected), Horrible (D'amato's Absurd) and Without Trace - which are both fine. Can't remember if I have any more to be honest. A lot of the Mya releases, as you probably know, are re-issues of NoShame titles and I had every one of the titles I wanted already.

From what I've heard some of the other releases look like VHS rips.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
From what I've heard some of the other releases look like VHS rips.
I'm familiar with the same opinion and it seems quite a bit of Mya Communication's output is reportedly sourced from VHS origins. Not good obviously and i must admit i don't own many of the label's titles due to said company's seemingly less-than-legit reputation.

Thank God they're not issuing Blu-Rays!
Old 19th March 2011, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

The only mya disc I have is Joe D'Amato's Absurd, which is watchable enough.
Old 9th April 2011, 06:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I have about 7 titles.

Satans wife is a particulary terrible print,makes vipco look like HD

the film itself is really enjoyable,but the diaboloical picture quality is hard to ignore and ruins the expierience. Maybe this is one for arrow/shameless to pick up and give some love.

but having said that some of the transfers are extremely good quality,but I doubt I'll add anymore from their catalogue to my collection.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:29 AM
Cult Addict

I have absurd (released as horrible, variable quality but the ONLY way to get it on dvd)
Island of the fishmen (enjoyable hokum, good quality)
scorpion with two tails (aka murder in an etruscan cemetary, excellent quality, great giallo!)
Four flies in grey velvet (variable quality but the only way to get it!)
Legend of blood castle (fun euro-horror nonsense, reasonable quality directed by jorge grau of living dead at manchester mourge fame.)
And I just bought alligator!!! (no idea of quality but i'm looking forward to it!)

I've heard mya are not entirely legal, sort of like 23rd century in this country, but thats hearsay, I also heard that city of the living dead on blu-ray from arrow was a grainy mess but that turned out to be total rubbish, so internet gossip is hardly a reliable source.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I own quite a few from both, and the quality does indeed range. I feel the Mya releases tend to generally be decent, while One Seven's can be touch and go. However, oftentimes One Seven releases some fairly rare material, so it's understandable that the source material could itself be damaged.

This was especially the case with their Sex Demons and Death DVD (aka Diabolicamente...Leticia) but I dug the film regardless. The scratchy quality gives it some character, I think.

I actually have some reviews of One Seven releases I can post up here soon, of their recently reissued D'Amato titles ('Sesso Nero' 'Orgasmo Nero')

cheers!
mG
Old 15th December 2011, 08:57 AM
Cult Addict

Alien From the Deep [DVD] [US Import]: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Marius, Daniel Bosch, Charles Napier: Film & TV

heres a review I posted on amazon for onesevens alien from the deep, an adventure movie/monster movie from the legendary antonio margharetti, if you can't be bothered reading it i'll sum it up in one brief sentence. Tons of fun!.

Like this? Share it using the links below!