Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2012, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I did watch it with the Ben and Amy commentary straight after viewing the film to try and understand more but found Wheatley not forth coming, him saying "I understand it" and not answering his wife's question about the masks just left me more annoyed. Personally I feel he may have stripped too much away, though the idea of two occult groups battling it out sounded pretty crap to me so I am glad he stripped back the plot that way. It's one of the best commentaries I've heard since "The Naked Witch" and "Valhalla Rising". I'll give the actors one a go soon.

Anyway, as me original post stated I was only unsure of the ending after watching the film, during it I was totally with the plot and ending, perhaps I didn't make that clear.

@Reaps, loved the violence, there was something very satisfying about the realism of it that is lacking in a lot of modern horror films.
Haha - I guess I'm just a fan of total ambiguity, or simply like the ending of the film.
Maybe Lynch does it best by refusing to do commentaries therefore not riling folks who want some clarity.

I'm wondering if the whole ending sequence was some kind of catharsis for Wheatley, you know, to confront those nightmares that he had about being chased by naked pagans!

If you enjoyed the Valhalla Rising commentary I'm sure you'd enjoy the Bronson one too.
Refn's commentaries are all top drawer and his Fear X one basically provides all of the questions to the mysteries of the film, which pissed me off at first, but then in retrospect I fully appreciated the fact that he wasn't precious about the ambiguities on offer in his film. It's also the film that made him bankrupt so maybe the commentary was his catharsis?

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 6th January 2012, 07:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
Maybe Lynch does it best by refusing to do commentaries therefore not riling folks who want some clarity.
Reckon a Lynch commentary would rile those folk even more with 100 minutes of babbling nonsense . . .
Old 6th January 2012, 07:20 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
Haha - I guess I'm just a fan of total ambiguity, or simply like the ending of the film.

I'm wondering if the whole ending sequence was some kind of catharsis for Wheatley, you know, to confront those nightmares that he had about being chased by naked pagans!

If you enjoyed the Valhalla Rising commentary I'm sure you'd enjoy the Bronson one too.
Refn's commentaries are all top drawer and his Fear X one basically provides all of the questions to the mysteries of the film, which pissed me off at first, but then in retrospect I fully appreciated the fact that he wasn't precious about the ambiguities on offer in his film. It's also the film that made him bankrupt so maybe the commentary was his catharsis?
I've still to see "Fear X" and "Drive" for that matter. The VR commentary is the only commentary which has made me understand the film less than on first viewing!
Phurious likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Reckon a Lynch commentary would rile those folk even more with 100 minutes of babbling nonsense . . .
Perhaps he'd fill it with useful tips on meditation and the like.
Phurious likes this.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default lynch

lynch's commentaries should come played backwards
PaulD and Phurious like this.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A brilliant film which was let down by the final act. It was a compelling film without it.

The film makers mistake in my opinion was either lose the final reel or expand on it, it just felt tacked on for shock value in its current cut.

Going to order Down Terrace this week.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

For those who've seen the film, this is a quite insightful, interesting explanation of what the film is about. If you haven't seen it, don't read it!

Kill List: What
Old 7th January 2012, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
For those who've seen the film, this is a quite insightful, interesting explanation of what the film is about. If you haven't seen it, don't read it!

Kill List: What
A good article.
Old 7th January 2012, 06:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Superb article.

That certainly throws a LOT of light on the film.

If you haven't seen it yet,my suggestion is this;

Watch it,ponder over it,shout 'WTF?'

Read the above article.

Watch it again and marvel at the making of a modern classic.

Like The Sixth Sense,it will all fall into place.
wayfarer likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
A brilliant film which was let down by the final act. It was a compelling film without it.

The film makers mistake in my opinion was either lose the final reel or expand on it, it just felt tacked on for shock value in its current cut.

That's what me and my 2 friends I saw it with though. Not sure if I wasn't paying full attention and missed some hints, quite possible. Definitely one I want to revisit at some point. There was something about the overall atmosphere of the film that was incredibly uncomfortable, like it could all kick off at any one moment.

Like this? Share it using the links below!