Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2013, 12:32 AM
Cultist in Training

My spontaneous thoughts having just watched A FIELD IN ENGLAND: http://boxd.it/1q5Cb

Suspect my evaluation of the film differs from many. Be keen to hear what people made of it.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I think Kill List should've been brilliant but one of the things that holds it back is the lead actor. Dunno who is he but doesn't he normally pop up in those cringeworthy 'cor blimey guvnor geezerish Guy Ritchie type movies.
Old 7th July 2013, 08:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
I think Kill List should've been brilliant but one of the things that holds it back is the lead actor. Dunno who is he but doesn't he normally pop up in those cringeworthy 'cor blimey guvnor geezerish Guy Ritchie type movies.
Neil Maskell? I thought he was fine in the film. He was also in that Channel 4 series Utopia I never got round to watching.

Bought A Field In England on Blu yesterday. Hopefully can fit it in later this afternooon . . .
Old 7th July 2013, 02:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Yeah, I like Maskell. Utopia is great - you should watch it, Jack - and he's really quite funny in it (although I've only watched the first few eps so far). I think he's a good actor and he was superb in Kill List. I've met him before too.

Anyway, I can't seem to get A Field in England out of my head. It's deliberately obtuse and one that definately requires the viewer to meet it part way. I read criticisms on the fact that its budget clearly shows (it does) and it looks like a bunch of actors in costumes (again, it does), but I didn't find that a problem, as it's not unlike Theatre in that it requires the audience to accept its limitations. I found its themes quite existential and it was all quite otherworldly, and I like that. It stuck with me anyhow.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

To be honest, at first I found AFIE a little ponderous, but as it grew on me the deeper side crept up and put some nice dark images overlaying the 'four guys in a field' basics, also liked the witchcraft/mushrooms/stones plot points, this one may grow into quite a nice cult classic.
Old 7th July 2013, 05:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I was harsh on it, but only because it lacked that final piece that would have made it a firm favourite, it came so close as well, I thought it had a almost epic spaghetti western feel in the final moments. The (beginning esp) mushroom scene was admittedly amazing, I just wish they could have come up with something else to match it. Endings can make or break a film for me sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
this one may grow into quite a nice cult classic.
Esp amongst students doing mushrooms.
Old 8th July 2013, 08:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

Watched it again last night with the (very funny) commentary, and watched a few of the featurettes. There was one key film influence I didn't pick up on, but got what they meant as soon as the named it: Onibaba . I did think on second watch, that bit where they are being dragged along the rope, gliding past shot with a little 'whoosh' sound, is soooooo 1960's J-horror . . .
Old 8th July 2013, 09:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Watched it again last night with the (very funny) commentary, and watched a few of the featurettes. There was one key film influence I didn't pick up on, but got what they meant as soon as the named it: Onibaba . I did think on second watch, that bit where they are being dragged along the rope, gliding past shot with a little 'whoosh' sound, is soooooo 1960's J-horror . . .
Yeah, I heard him reference Onibaba in an interview, which to my shame I didn't pick up on first time, but makes perfect sense now I think about it.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 8th July 2013, 09:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Yeah, I heard him reference Onibaba in an interview, which to my shame I didn't pick up on first time, but makes perfect sense now I think about it.
Indeed. They originally pictured the field to have much longer grass as inspired by the film, but I think location/practicality issues nixed that.

So I've ordered the Blu re-release of Onibaba, and started re-reading Witchfinders: A Seventeenth Century English Tragedy by Malcolm Gaskill. Yes, this film has definitely left its mark on me . . .
Delirium likes this.
Old 26th September 2013, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone after Sightseers on Blu-ray? Watched once, £8, free postage if anyone's interested.

Like this? Share it using the links below!