Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rassilon
  • 1 Post By Pete
  • 1 Post By Demdike@Cult Labs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2012, 06:11 PM
Ex-Member

Default Jurassic Geek

In jurassic Park, someone says in regards to evolution that they took what had already been written and studied, and filled in the gaps. That they didn't do the work for themselves.
I met a few horror fans this week who consume horror in terms of films and knowledge. But I feel slight pain for and from the newbies.
Today horror fans need look no further than amazon for a rare film, or wikipedia for information on what Dario Argento's favorite soft drink is.
Back in the day I remember hunting, hunting for films, not knowing where I'd find them. Discovering Lucio Fulci's name pop up more and more and wondering who is the guy was. Markets, and video stores were the hunting grounds and the ocassional car boot. And there was Darkside magaine and a few others but if you didn't find the info you seeked like perhaps if a film was cut, or interviews with the starlets you wanted then that was it...
But wasn't there a thrill to the chase. Seeing video nasties on big box vhs tapes. Travelling all over and hunting through piles of crap video's to find a copy of Blood Bath. Sometimes we even hunted in packs, and argued who deserved there copy of Slaughter High more and ended up with Don't Panic, because the box looked good.

What's my point...well do newer fans of horror appericate film in the same way we did, before it could be downloaded, ordered next day delivery or watched on your phone...your phone? I mean come on. Sometimes I wish we could have seen films so easily, but if we did, would they have made the same mark on our lives?
darthelvis likes this.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:38 PM
Cult Rookie

There is an element of searching to be done if you really want it.

Now that HMV and Blockbuster have the high street video retail market tied up selling only select titles at over inflated prices and supermarkets wont touch anything that isn't in a mainstream chart, you really do have to search if you want to "physically" find something obscure or cult.

I agree it is very easy to find out information these days and just download the movie, but to find physical copies of films out in the real world is getting increasingly difficult.

I do enjoy searching branches of Poundland or the Works just in case they have something cool.

I'm a traditionalist though. I'll never download a film or get a digital subscription. That is until the alternative ceases to exist. But then, the search will be even more rewarding!

On the other hand, I have just started using LoveFilm instead of Blockbuster (I've always been a rental fan) for DVDs due to a better range of titles and value for money. I guess we just have to accept change.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
But wasn't there a thrill to the chase.
No. It was a colossal ball ache. Things are a million,, million times better now.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
No. It was a colossal ball ache. Things are a million,, million times better now.
There was a thrill to finding something.

BUT the rest of the time it was a pain in the backside trailing all over and coming back empty handed.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

"Good things come to those who wait" etc. and yeah it was great finally grabbing an obscure/banned horror after years of looking(sometimes out of the blue) but go back a little further and... no home video recorders, that really was lean times. Just roll with the times and enjoy todays availability of so much cult stuff. And careful RC, ya might slip into "Ahhh, we had it tuff lad"
Old 16th January 2012, 08:16 PM
Cult Master

I gotta say things are better now because i could get nothing here for years and years only pirate copies of everything that a guy in a van would come round and people would rent off him. Thats the way i used to see all horrors when i was younger most times barely watchable.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I gotta say things are better now because i could get nothing here for years and years only pirate copies of everything that a guy in a van would come round and people would rent off him. Thats the way i used to see all horrors when i was younger most times barely watchable.
That was just Vipco Nd. They were always like that.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
That was just Vipco Nd. They were always like that.
Stop trying to bait me.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 16th January 2012, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Stop trying to bait me!
Who me? Never.
Pete likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!