Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2012, 06:32 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The first horror film I can really remember seeing was House By The Cemetery when I was around 9 years old. Never did me any damage seeing a film like that at such a young age, well not that much damage.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The first horror film I can really remember seeing was House By The Cemetery when I was around 9 years old. Never did me any damage seeing a film like that at such a young age, well not that much damage.

It was Grease 2 that did the real damage

Cooooooooool rider......
Old 28th January 2012, 06:52 PM
Cult Master

I'd probably seen scary 'childrens' films before, but the first one that I remember seeing, which made a real impression on me, was 'Jaws' on it's initial run at the cinema back in 1975. I would have been about 8 or 9 years old

It terrified me, and I still remember 'the head-in-the-boat' sequence!

Oh - it's STILL a great pop-corn horror film, and I love introducing people who have never seen it before to the DVD
Daemonia likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th January 2012, 06:53 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
It was Grease 2 that did the real damage

Cooooooooool rider......
How dare you!
Old 28th January 2012, 09:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Carpenter's The Thing, I was seven or eight. Also saw bits of Carrie around the same time. Saw Jaws when I was five or six too.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzombie View Post
March 17, 2001. Channel 4.

I would've been 11

Edit: I remember the previous year Channel 4 screened Texas Chainsaw, which (despite my failed attempt at surreptitiously recording it) my parents wouldn't let me see. I was left intrigued by it and when The Exorcist popped up in the telly guide I convinced them to let me see it. Great success
11?? Now I feel old. I would've been 33 back then.
Gojirosan and the blob like this.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Same here!

Thinking of those old early days of watching horror films, when oh when will i be able to buy The Ghoul and The Beast With Five fingers on DVD?...................................
Old 29th January 2012, 12:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Thinking of those old early days of watching horror films, when oh when will i be able to buy The Ghoul and The Beast With Five fingers on DVD?...................................
And Legend of the Werewolf! I was sure this would make an appearance on DVD at some point, but it never has. Likewise with The Ghoul, which you mention above.
Old 29th January 2012, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The first horror film that I can clearly remember watching all the way through is the 1999 Stephen Sommers Mummy movie on VHS, I suppose it's not really even a true horror movie. For a lot of my childhood, I was more interested in sci-fi due to being obsessed with Dinosaurs and giant monsters. I saw a lot of the Godzilla films at a young age (does anyone else remember those Godzilla VHS which had black covers and an outline of Godzilla's head on the front which was a different colour on each release?) I can remember catching glimpses from various other horror movies beforehand, one of these I now know to be Zombie Flesh Eaters which had some how ended up on the same VHS which I used to tape Walking With Dinosaurs (I blame my Dad ).
What was far more exciting than the Mummy film was seeing this advert for the digitally remastered classic Universal Monster films which came on before it started:

The version of the advert that I saw was slightly different to the one in the Youtube vid. The one I saw also showed clips from the Black Cat and the Raven, the part advertising Dracula with the new soundtrack wasn't there, the voiceover was different and the VHS boxes were obviously the UK versions but the rest was the same. At that point, I knew of the Universal Monsters but had only seen still images of them in the various monster books I then owned so to finally see them in action was extremely exciting, the trailer still sends shivers down my spine watching it now! After showing the trailer to my Grandad a few days later, he went and bought me Creature From the Black Lagoon as he could remember going to see it way back when it was originally released. I loved it and my first viewings of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man followed soon after. I only really started to get into gore and cult films until about 6 or 7 years a go after watching both the original Night of the Living Dead and original Dawn of the Dead on DVD. Around the same time, I also used to constantly read two books called Cult Horror Films and Cult Science Fiction films, these are what responsible for introducing me to the likes of the Blind Dead films.
Old 29th January 2012, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I was 34!

The first Horror I remember clearly is "Taste the Blood of Dracula" though I'm sure I saw others before that.

Like this? Share it using the links below!