Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2015, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Definitely, I started this thread to tie in with an assignment I was writing about music in Horror films, but the same rule applies for all genres.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th July 2015, 11:28 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Like a lot of these modern films, I sometimes get the feeling that I've missed something..see also The Babadook, Lovely Molly. I guess I just prefer my horror to be actually scary.

Having said that I did sit through the awful Red Clover on THC last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, still don't get all the hype surrounding The Babadook, one of the worst horror films I've seen this year, and that's saying something because I've watched a ton of no-budget shockers this year!
I also didn't think much of The Babadook. However, I do rather like Lovely Molly. Honeymoon actually reminded me of Lovely Molly in a lot of ways.

As for 'scary' - I can't remember the last time a film actually scared me ...other than by 'cattle-prod' jump-scare of course
Demoncrat and profondo rosso like this.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I guess that scary is a subjective thing really.
Whilst I still "jump" at the roof top sequence in Dark Water etc, I found Snowtown to be quite terrifying...this must say something about the "banality of evil" possibly......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th July 2015, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I guess that scary is a subjective thing really.
Whilst I still "jump" at the roof top sequence in Dark Water etc, I found Snowtown to be quite terrifying...this must say something about the "banality of evil" possibly......
Yeah, 'scary' isn't always easy to define and can cover a multitude of reactions to various media really, varying from person to person.

Snowtown is definitely chilling. All the more so when you take into account its biographical nature.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed.

I also find some music to be quite "scary"....The Haxan Cloak, Dead Raven Choir, some Penderecki (not just the Exorcist stuff either!) and Taylor Swift (her incessant cheerfullness is anathema to me, moody bugger that I am )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th July 2015, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Indeed.

I also find some music to be quite "scary"....The Haxan Cloak, Dead Raven Choir, some Penderecki (not just the Exorcist stuff either!)
Indeed! Which brings us nicely back to the importance of music in film. Music cues if exceuted well can certainly provoke more of an emotional response than the imagery at times.

Quote:
Taylor Swift (her incessant cheerfullness is anathema to me, moody bugger that I am )
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 17th July 2015, 01:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm glad I'm not alone in being singularly unimpressed by The Babadook. It bored me.
Rik and profondo rosso like this.
Old 17th July 2015, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone in being singularly unimpressed by The Babadook. It bored me.
Like Antichrist it uses horror tropes to tell a story in that manner whilst not a horror film per se...IMO. But I need to get out mair

[B]
Old 18th July 2015, 06:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

It's really important to me. A good score can make a movie so much more effective, just like a bad one (think Return of the Living Dead Pt. II) can really weigh it down. Plus, a score can really elevate the mood or atmosphere of a film, such as the usage of synthesizers and percussion in so many classic 80s flicks to evoke feelings of detatchment, tension or fear.
Old 18th July 2015, 10:15 PM
Cultist in Training

I responded in a previous thread that is similar, only it was about sex in a horror film. I definitely think it has its purpose, at the very least having some nice eye candy around certainly adds to the film....but for sure music is much more important aspect in a horror film. When it is well placed it can drive a particular scene...I mean the music in Halloween is part of the reason why the originals are so damn great. It added to the viewing experience when Michael was stalking his victims.

Not to mention it can also help the atmosphere of a film. I have some horror movies were they are just all out blood and guts slasher so it doesn't really matter to much...but I also have older films where the gloomy music really does "make or break" certain scenes....and the film really.

This is all of course just my opinion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!