Poll Options
Favourite Amicus movie?

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2012, 12:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
If you're set up for it, then there is a nice Blu-ray available (as a double feature with Hammer's The Man Who Could Cheat Death) dirt cheap on Amazon marketplace.
I haven't worked out if I can unlock my blu-ray player yet
Old 16th June 2012, 12:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I haven't worked out if I can unlock my blu-ray player yet
No need: It's region free!
Old 16th June 2012, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
No need: It's region free!
ah, I just read it a A/1 region being North America, I still haven't got used to the whole blu-ray region thing, is it the same as dvd? aaahhhh why do we even have to have region locking? It's just all too much.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:30 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
ah, I just read it a A/1 region being North America, I still haven't got used to the whole blu-ray region thing, is it the same as dvd? aaahhhh why do we even have to have region locking? It's just all too much.
Greed on the part of the people who own the films. Pure and simple.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Amazon aren't to be trusted when it comes to posting correct region info, unfortunately.

Yeah, region locking is annoying, but the price of a region free machine is pretty cheap nowadays. I don't think I'd be able to handle being region locked again!

As for the quality, it's pretty good; especially for the price.

Here's a review: The Skull / The Man Who Could Cheat Death Blu-ray
Old 16th June 2012, 12:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Amazon aren't to be trusted when it comes to posting correct region info, unfortunately.

Yeah, region locking is annoying, but the price of a region free machine is pretty cheap nowadays. I don't think I'd be able to handle being region locked again!

As for the quality, it's pretty good; especially for the price.

Here's a review: The Skull / The Man Who Could Cheat Death Blu-ray
I think I'll give it a go. I have always bought cheap multi-region machines in the past, still holding on to the multi region dvd player as well as my multi-region video player - still holding on to a video of The Cramps live at Napa State Mental hospital - should just get a dvd copy and dump the bulky machine!

But for me getting a blu-ray player was an early investment just last year I didn't even think of multi-region. Saying that I have seen a lot more region free out than in the early years of dvd.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I think I'll give it a go.
I hope you enjoy The Skull - it's brilliantly daft, and Cushing and Lee are on top form, playing off of each other.

Quote:
I have always bought cheap multi-region machines in the past, still holding on to the multi region dvd player as well as my multi-region video player - still holding on to a video of The Cramps live at Napa State Mental hospital - should just get a dvd copy and dump the bulky machine!
I still have two VCRs - mainly as a means to play my Front Line Assembly - Live Wired VHS.

Quote:
But for me getting a blu-ray player was an early investment just last year I didn't even think of multi-region. Saying that I have seen a lot more region free out than in the early years of dvd.
The format started out well, with only a few studios locking their releases, but recently it seems that a lot of distributors are going (or being forced) backwards and starting to lock more releases: possibly due to the format getting more popular, and subsequently license holders becoming more greedy as Stephen mentioned above. Or, it could just be me being cynical and paranoid.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I hope you enjoy The Skull - it's brilliantly daft, and Cushing and Lee are on top form, playing off of each other.

I still have two VCRs - mainly as a means to play my Front Line Assembly - Live Wired VHS.

The format started out well, with only a few studios locking their releases, but recently it seems that a lot of distributors are going (or being forced) backwards and starting to lock more releases: possibly due to the format getting more popular, and subsequently license holders becoming more greedy as Stephen mentioned above. Or, it could just be me being cynical and paranoid.
I wouldn't blame you for being like that, I am. I'm completely convinced everything is set up to squeeze as much money out of us poor saps. I rarely buy a dvd above £10 though, I'm just cheap.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I wouldn't blame you for being like that, I am. I'm completely convinced everything is set up to squeeze as much money out of us poor saps. I rarely buy a dvd above £10 though, I'm just cheap.
The sad thing is; you're highly likely to be right. I try not to spend more than £5 on a DVD, although when it comes to BD I'll happily order a Criterion at £20
Old 16th June 2012, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Skull is an excellent film, as is The Man Who Could Cheat Death.

Like this? Share it using the links below!