Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Werewolf Beauty Pageant! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/8426-werewolf-beauty-pageant.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 14th April 2012 04:27 PM

The Werewolf Beauty Pageant!

As 'they' say, a monster movie is often only as good as it's monster. But what happens when a whole genre of movies are based on a similar design? Well, things get pretty tough in picking the greatest looking monsters. In fact, when we did the werewolf movie marathon last week (I think?!) we wondered which had the best werewolf effects, The Howling or American Werewolf? I'd personally vote for AWIL!

But what are your favourite onscreen werewolf effects? Whats the best transformations? The best looking beasts? What about the worst?

The Howling: Reborn's werewolves are pretty damn cool and definetly a highlight. Although some may find the added tail a little strange, these ones are pretty crazy! Bonus points for not being CGIed!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5hSRxeqIYK...Werewolf+2.png

Got any trivia facts about werewolf effects in movies? Come on, share them here!

What film has the best and worst looking werewolves?

The Howling: Reborn is out now from Anchor Bay Entertainment. Pre-order the DVD or the Blu-Ray here!

VicDakin 14th April 2012 04:30 PM

Paul Naschy

2 Attachment(s)
Paul Naschy
I've always liked the hairy spaniard look

PaulD 14th April 2012 04:52 PM

Pretty obvious, I know but the transformation scene in An American Werewolf in London is my favourite. Not just for the visuals but the sickening crunchy sound effects too. Superb

Rick Baker Werewolf Transformation from An American Werewolf in London (1981) - YouTube

PaulD 14th April 2012 05:00 PM

Also, genuine props for The Howling: Reborn for using physical, costumed werewolves and not resorting to lazy cgi. I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing this when it lands on my doormat courtesy of Kyle's Comp and Cult Labs!

Hawkmonger 14th April 2012 05:08 PM

An American Werewolf in London. Cliche, yes but it's famous for a reason.
I had seen the full werewolf design on book covers for years before I had seen the film, it's one of those little recognised icons that is so masterfully pulled off.
The scene's of the werewolf stalking the business man in the underground are chilling until we see the final reviel of it creeping up to him from upon high.
And the final rampage scene! Glories.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD
Also, genuine props for The Howling: Reborn for using physical, costumed werewolves and not resorting to lazy cgi. I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing this when it lands on my doormat courtesy of Kyle's Comp and Cult Labs!

Seconded. I think this is only the second creature feature I will have watched in the last two years that has done that.
The other being Aliens vs. Ninjas.

PaulD 14th April 2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 232010)
The other being Aliens vs. Ninjas.

That was my first ever prize in a Cult Labs comp, I remember it well. Still haven't taken it out of the shrink-wrap yet though. Whether it's still sealed to preserve the glory of my victory or because I think it's not going to be very good remains to be seen :)

Hawkmonger 14th April 2012 05:15 PM

Crack out the scissers. You'll be surprised how much fun it actualy is.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 14th April 2012 06:24 PM

Nooo! Don't listen to Hawk, Paul! Keep it as a monument - you're first ever cult labs comp win! Put it in a frame, stick it up on the wall, make a shrine for it!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 232041)
Nooo! Don't listen to Hawk, Paul! Keep it as a monument - you're first ever cult labs comp win! Put it in a frame, stick it up on the wall, make a shrine for it!

That bad is it? ;)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 14th April 2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 232042)
That bad is it? ;)

Yep. :pound: