Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2012, 04:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I tend to prefer the fringes of the genre, the total spew, the vermin infested garbage, the unwatchable. A reduction in conventional aesthetic qualities can bring us closer to nightmare, actually.
Anyway, regardless of how one approaches horror or the horrific, I think the last ten years have seen a definite upturn in 'quality' and probably quantity of cool 'genre' product, at least the kind I'm into. There is a thriving transgressive underground, more risks are being taken - even in terms of stuff you can pick up in HMV, I mean can you imagine 'Tokyo Gore Police' being made fifteen, twenty years ago? All of this is good, so I'm optimistic, I have absolutely no interest in what defines a 'genre classic', but I think things are better than ever. Valid points have been made above about the availability of technology leading to a glut of shit - whilst I think this is true, I still feel cheap technology has a liberating aspect, too.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:18 PM
Cult Addict

There are people out there who DONT like Dont look Now?
Gotta say I disagree with you there, but thats for another day.
The horror genre has suffered worse than others over recent years, Japan being the one country that is churning out consistantly good flicks.
The west has released a few crackers though, check out;
Pans Labyrinth
Insidies
Kill List
Land of the Dead (Not as bad as everyone claims it is)
Zombieland (More a parody than straight up horror)
Cabin in the Woods
The Lady in Black

DVD and BD collection
Old 7th May 2012, 04:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I think the problem is with yourselves not the genre. You need new ways of viewing the genre in all it's wonky glory.
Totally agree. Like most on here, I loved the genre as far back as I can remember, so I've watched (and enjoyed) lots of rubbish over the years.
But have to admit when I started buying DVDs I was extremely fussy about what I had in my collection, but once I had nabbed nearly all my favourites, I had no choice but to cast my net wider.
And in time my tolerance grew. I have pretty much zero interest in modern horror, except for the odd title. (I know that's quite sad, but I'm not gonna lie.)
But I have an insatiable hunger for older stuff (Esp the 70's & 80's), and curiosity fuels my habit. Even one or two scenes can make a film worthwhile for me. Take Plan 9 from outer space, which is a horribly cliqued example I know, but I only mention it since I watched it last night, but the scene of Tor Johnson rising from the grave is wonderful moment. And something I had to witness for myself, after it had featured in one of my all time favs, Night of the Creeps.

Not saying I can watch any old stinker without being disappointed, Creepozoids has no redeeming features, unless your are a HUGE fan of Linnea Quigley I guess, although saying that, there is the (Over long) finale with the mutant baby (?), but that probably seemed better in my dazed state, bought on by sheer boredom and nothing else.
Old 8th January 2014, 08:30 PM
Cult Rookie

Since making this thread I'm no longer with the person in question and I'm willing to give some of the "schlock" I was lamenting another chance. Where should I start do you think?
Old 8th January 2014, 08:38 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryvonKramer View Post
Since making this thread I'm no longer with the person in question and I'm willing to give some of the "schlock" I was lamenting another chance. Where should I start do you think?
Are there any of the multiple sub genres of horror that appeal to you more than others? That might help people narrow down the schlock most suited to your tastes.
Old 8th January 2014, 08:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Not really, I'm just a massive fan of what I'd call "quality" horror and have always found the gulf from that to "schlock" pretty massive.

For example, look at Hooper's next films after Texas Chainsaw. Struggled with those.

It might be easier for me to watch 30s Universal Horror or Hamer Horror before "schlock". My ex didn't have much time for that sort of thing either.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryvonKramer View Post

I've got no real time for the awful acting witnessed in Dawn of the Dead.
- i love Dawn of the dead so much i did a Basket Case tribute with my Blu-Ray and stitched it onto my side so we can go everywhere together.

Bad acting annoys me exsensivly and i agreed with you upuntill a certain point where you left me behind in your opinions, they are strong opinions and i respect that but i feel maybe i would agree with Demdike when he said this...

Demdike@Cult Labs -After reading your post, you sound like a film fan, but not really a horror fan.

Most horror films are made cheaply and unfortunately the actors, scripts and effects reflect that.

Best of luck finding that film mate - the only other film that still gives me that first viewing pleasure now is The Silence of the Lambs.
applecore likes this.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

If i wanted to try some schlock i'd grab a tenner, go onto Amazon, type in horror films, rank them price, low to high, then just spend your tenner on any thing that takes your fancy from the 1p goodies on offer.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If i wanted to try some schlock i'd grab a tenner, go onto Amazon, type in horror films, rank them price, low to high, then just spend your tenner on any thing that takes your fancy from the 1p goodies on offer.
I'm doing a similar thing with Love film and Netflix, watching the films that look the cheapest and/or have cover art that really doesn't appeal to me in the hope of finding that mix of weird and wonky that makes a great film...for me. Frankie says it much better in his post on this thread. I should point out that I am wading through a lot of shit but that's okay, it is part of the fun of being a zero budget film fan.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'm doing a similar thing with Love film and Netflix, watching the films that look the cheapest and/or have cover art that really doesn't appeal to me in the hope of finding that mix of weird and wonky that makes a great film...for me. Frankie says it much better in his post on this thread. I should point out that I am wading through a lot of shit but that's okay, it is part of the fun of being a zero budget film fan.
I must admit whilst watching my 28, hopefully decent horror films that i'd never seen before throughout the month of December, by the midway stage i was longing for some poorly acted, cheaply produced rubbish. That's why i ordered Mindflesh and watched it immediately, only to find it was brilliant.

Like this? Share it using the links below!