Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Bigfoot Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/3126-bigfoot-films.html)

cloud 16th November 2008 02:15 PM

Bigfoot Horror Movies!!

After watching the weird and wonderful SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED last night I became inspired to start a thread dedicated to these Bigfoot films.

So what have I seen? Well for a start one of the earlier ones is Hammer's THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN which though ain't great it ain't bad either and features good acting performances and some stunning cinematography. There is of course reaper's favourite movie NIGHT OF THE DEMON which is a trash classic. CREATURE FROM BLACK LAKE is a brilliant little movie which is as much about friendship as it is Yetis. THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT ('76) is a hilarious mockumentary by Ivan Marx which I think was later exposed as a hoax though don't let that put you off as it's a stunning film. SNOWBEAST is a neat TV movie that's worth checking out and last night's viewing of SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED was fantastic. It has to be seen by any self respecting trash movie fan.

They aren't all good though and films like TERROR IN THE SWAMP, BOGGY CREEK II and SNOW CREATURE are painfully bad films.

I'm currently working my way through Retromedia's Bigfoot Terror set, it contains 4 films (Shriek Of The Mutilated / Capture Of Bigfoot / Search For The Beast / Legend Of Bigfoot '76) and can be imported for cheap.

So yeah, favourite Bigfoot movies? Why do you like/dislike them? Recommendations and comments on availability? Anything else? Discuss.

P.S. and though I'm not a firm believer, I am open minded to the existence of Bigfoot.

Halloween_22 16th November 2008 03:02 PM

Theres one I've been meaning to pick up on R1 called 'Abominable' which I believe is out on Anchor Bay. It's from 2006, I read about it in fango a while back. Looks like its definately worth checking out.

Night of the Demon and Snowbeast are great trash films. Really enjoyed both of them. Think I might have to pick up that Bigfoot terror boxset you mentioned as I wouldn't mind seeing them, especially 'Shriek of the mutilated'.

cloud 16th November 2008 04:10 PM

The Bigfoot Terror set is going for under a fiver on Amazon Marketplace and it's being sold by Caiman so you're guaranteed a fast delivery. I remember hunting down the Pre-Cert of Shriek and was willing to pay a tenner or more for it. But here it's restored, has all the gore reinserted and comes with 3 bonus films (one of which is the classic Marx Bigfoot mockumentary), I've not seen the other two yet though. What are you waiting for? Order it now! ;)

Oh and the Sasquatch Horror set (again by Retromedia) is going for the same price. Snow Creature is very boring and I already have 2 prints of Snowbeast (VIPCO and Mill Creek) but it's probably worth getting alone for SASQUATCH: THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT. I recently watched the trailer for it and it looks brilliant.

I too heard positive reviews of Abominable. It's on me wishlist and I'll get it one day.

vincenzo 16th November 2008 06:59 PM

The former video nasty The Werewolf And The Yeti is another Bigfoot film that hasn't had a UK release as yeti. http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...es/biggrin.gif

mark meakin 16th November 2008 08:31 PM

Abominable has been shown on the Sci-Fi Channel along with another bigfoot film featuring Lance Henriksen,Devil On The Mountain.Abominable a reworking of the legendary Hitchcock film Rear Window is hugely entertaining though DOTM is a disappointment.I've always had a soft spot for Snowbeast since I first watched it on a saturday evening as a young lad,when ITV used to screen TV creature features about 7.30 in the evening including Tarantulas -The Deadly Cargo & Ants ! (aka Panic At Lakewood Manor)Both of the later films are also available in nice looking prints on r1.The Werewolf & The Yeti is pretty awful & undeserving of its original"nasty" status though I would love a dvd of it for nostalgic reasons.The Abominable Snowman (1956) from Hammer is still one of the best & most intelligent of the films about the legendary Yeti but Legend Of Boggy Creek used to creep me out as a kid on its BBC 2 screenings.The Creature From Black Lake (1976) is probably one of the best 'Bigfoot' movies which screens on Zone Horror in a version vastly superior to the blurry pan & scan UK dvd.I would also highly recommend the exceptionally creepy TV movie A Cold Nights Death (1973) starring Robert Culp & Eli Wallach as two research scientists in a remote arctic laboratory who think they are being watched by 'something'.I won't give away the plot but it's very atmospheric.

cloud 16th November 2008 10:03 PM

How could I forget WEREWOLF AND THE YETI? Especially after I've requested a DVD release so many times. It's a bad film I agree but it's also strangely engaging and the final battle is such a disappointment but also fascinating at the same time. Viva Paul Naschy!

I love Creature From Black Lake but I've never seen a good print of it. Unfortunately it's one that I can't see getting a proper release because it's so minor but it really is a wonderful little film.

Alright so I've just watched another couple from this Bigfoot Terror set. THE CAPTURE OF BIGFOOT is tremendous fun and never has a dull moment. But SEARCH FOR THE BEAST is one of the worst films I've ever sat through. It has lots of big baps, some hillbilly banjo playing, a Bigfoot rape scene and a David Friedman cameo but don't let that fool you. It's an appalling SOV atrocity that has a crap plot, crap editing, crap special effects and was painful to sit through, Andreas Schnaas would have been proud of it. Thankfully it was only 69 minutes long though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129358/

Check its IMDb page, it has a score of 1.4/10 and that is generous! It looked way out of place in this Bigfoot set.

So Bigfoot Terror in my opinion contains 2 classics, 1 very entertaining potboiler and 1 of the worst films ever made. £6 well spent I reckon :cool:. It's worth it alone for the Yeti chasing scene in Shriek Of The Mutilated when he shouts to Bigfoot "get back here you fool!" :D.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th November 2008 09:03 PM

Bigfoot movies?NIGHT OF THE DEMON.....:woot:
another which scared the shit out of me when I was a pup,was The Legend of Boggy Creek,when aired on the BBC in the seventies.....:eek:

TALL DUDE 18th November 2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 17284)
Theres one I've been meaning to pick up on R1 called 'Abominable' which I believe is out on Anchor Bay. It's from 2006, I read about it in fango a while back. Looks like its definately worth checking out.

Night of the Demon and Snowbeast are great trash films. Really enjoyed both of them. Think I might have to pick up that Bigfoot terror boxset you mentioned as I wouldn't mind seeing them, especially 'Shriek of the mutilated'.

Abominable is lots of fun,with a laugh out loud/jawdropper ending. Take yer pick.
Throw in a few bloody deaths,half naked babes and tiffany shepis,and what more could u ask for??? Err.... Night of the demon???:D
The creature in the film is very well realised,and a far cry from the "man in a monkey suit" type of film. Mind you,i like em as well.:D

mark meakin 19th November 2008 01:13 PM

On Sci-Fi UK next week Yeti Lovers.Could be a laugh:-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0896585/

cloud 19th November 2008 01:26 PM

That sounds interesting, mark meakin. I never seem to watch much telly nowadays, I'm too busy with DVDs instead so I'll probably wait for the DVD.

Come on then Scotland (TALL DUDE to everyone else) give us a list of your favourite and least favourite Bigfoot films. I know you like your Yetis.