Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Alternative Zombies (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/9098-alternative-zombies.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th July 2012 12:54 PM

Alternative Zombies

One of the reasons why [Rec] and its sequels stands out above the recent flurry of zombie/infected films is the 'zombies' (or whatever you wish to call them) themselves! Demonic, flesh-eating sprinting creatures that are hungry for their next human meal. And who could forget the freakishly disturbing ultra-skinny zombie first seen towards the terrifying climax of the first film?!

So, what are some other films that have twisted the zombie mold slightly and created some truly memorable living dead?

Gojirosan 10th July 2012 12:59 PM

I don't think I have ever even thought of the monsters in [REC] as zombies.

Of course they are revived corpses, so they are zombies...not sure what I thought of them as...

Had I been asked to recommend zombie films, I don't think my brain (braiiiiiiiiiiinnnn) would have brought up [REC]. Curious.

Slippery Jack 10th July 2012 01:00 PM

Where is that picture from by the way? Looks like [Rec]: The Game (which would be amazing) :nod: . . .

Slippery Jack 10th July 2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Infected = Zombies to me. 28 Days Later ? Zombies! Not interested in the nit-picking.

How about Andy in DeathDream ? I'm counting him as a zombie too :tongue1:

Splatterdragon73 10th July 2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 256390)
Infected = Zombies to me. 28 Days Later ? Zombies! Not interested in the nit-picking.

Nightmare City too then i would imagine in your view, even though imo Lenzi's crusty contaminated crowd are in no way zombies.:)

Gojirosan 10th July 2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Nope. I am very much against your stance. Infected are not zombies.

The undead aspect is important to me. Very important.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 10th July 2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 256389)
Where is that picture from by the way? Looks like [Rec]: The Game (which would be amazing) :nod: . . .

Not quite sure, SJ - May be fanart.

Quote:

Deathdream is one of my favs - an absolute masterpiece!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 256397)

I agree with you Goj - Zombies are NOT infected. But it is much easier to label all those under the term 'zombie' I guess. I mean, are the...things in Rec infected? Maybe they're infected? Whatever they are, they're awesome.

Slippery Jack 10th July 2012 02:31 PM

It's not something I feel particularly strong about either way - I'm just happy to call them all zombies, it don't matter to me :tongue1:

Aren't the creatures in [Rec] demonically posessed anyhoo :lol: . . . ?

Gojirosan 10th July 2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 256404)
It's not something I feel particularly strong about either way - I'm just happy to call them all zombies, it don't matter to me :tongue1:

Aren't the creatures in [Rec] demonically posessed anyhoo :lol: . . . ?

They are, but they die first. The key element is that zombies are corpses, doesn't matter how they are revived - sorcery like in White Zombie and Plague Of The Zombies, radioactivity/space virus in Romeroworld, or a bug killing machine in the early 70s Lake District! :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th July 2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 256397)

Completely agree.

I mean, if I was infected with rabies and went ape-shit, would that make me a zombie? :confused:

On a side note: I'd like to see more zombie films involving voodoo made! :nod: