Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Spanish Horror (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/9236-spanish-horror.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:09 PM

Mustn't forget Who Can Kill a Child either. :)

robertzombie 3rd August 2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 263176)

;)

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:42 PM

OK, so I've had a thought.

Instead of replacing what I've already prepared, I might do a fan picks one and quote some of you. I'll make sure some kind of Rec goodies find their way to anyone whose quoted as a thank you.

Here's my original post, have a look and suggest other titles if you want to join in:

[REC] Genesis: Bueno Horror!

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263181)

See the original blog I wrote above. Once seen, never forgotten I think (the film that is, not my blog. Ego not that huge!).

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 03:51 PM

My contribution for a possible fan pick.

One of my favourite Spanish films has always been The Loreley's Grasp.

Its a film about a German legend in the small town of St Goarshausen on the banks of the river Rhine. The Lorelie itself is a huge rock which soars out from the waterline.

Due to the narrowness of the Rhine, the extremely strong current and dangerous rocks below the waterline, over the years many vessels have come to a nasty end here.

Naturally legends began to form as the decades passed, in this case of a siren whose song lured unsuspecting boats onto the rocks and their impending destruction. The Loreley is also the adopted name of said siren.

Amando De Ossorio's brilliantly atmospheric film from 1974 takes this legend and ups the ante in horror terms. The Loreley in question, played by the stunning Helga Line, needs human hearts for a perverse ritual. Fearing for its students a nearby school for young women (ie -beautiful women only too happy to wear transparent negligees and bear their breasts at the drop of a hat) hires a hunter, charmingly played by Tony Kendall to track down the Loreley and put an end to the murders.

The film features graphic moments of flesh ripping horror amidst its otherwise beautiful gothic trappings, De Ossorio bringing an almost romantic feel to the production, lovingly created by his wonderful cinematography.

Although The Blind Dead films remain at the top of De Ossorio's resume, for me The Loreley's Grasp wins the gold medal.

Gojirosan 3rd August 2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263197)
My contribution for a possible fan pick.

One of my favourite Spanish films has always been The Loreley's Grasp.

Its a film about a German legend in the small town of St Goarshausen on the banks of the river Rhine. The Lorelie itself is a huge rock which soars out from the waterline.

Due to the narrowness of the Rhine, the extremely strong current and dangerous rocks below the waterline, over the years many vessels have come to a nasty end here.

Naturally legends began to form as the decades passed, in this case of a siren whose song lured unsuspecting boats onto the rocks and their impending destruction. The Loreley is also the adopted name of said siren.

Amando De Ossorio's brilliantly atmospheric film from 1974 takes this legend and ups the ante in horror terms. The Loreley in question, played by the stunning Helga Line, needs human hearts for a perverse ritual. Fearing for its students a nearby school for young women (ie -beautiful women only too happy to wear transparent negligees and bear their breasts at the drop of a hat) hires a hunter, charmingly played by Tony Kendall to track down the Loreley and put an end to the murders.

The film features graphic moments of flesh ripping horror amidst its otherwise beautiful gothic trappings, De Ossorio bringing an almost romantic feel to the production, lovingly created by his wonderful cinematography.

Although The Blind Dead films remain at the top of De Ossorio's resume, for me The Loreley's Grasp wins the gold medal.

One of my most wanted films. Is there an affordable reissue yet? I have only seen it on the old UK VHS which was the darkest dupe I have ever seen. A good half of the film was pretty much just black screen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 263210)
One of my most wanted films. Is there an affordable reissue yet? I have only seen it on the old UK VHS which was the darkest dupe I have ever seen. A good half of the film was pretty much just black screen.

I am fortunate to have the BCI Spanish Horror Collection release.

I managed to pick up 9 releases whilst they were around a fiver each.

Pete 3rd August 2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263213)
I am fortunate to have the BCI Spanish Horror Collection release.

I managed to pick up 9 releases whilst they were around a fiver each.

Lucky ****. :cry:

Gojirosan 3rd August 2012 04:22 PM

I thought Fragile was excellent, but Calista Flockhart (though she tried) was the weak link in the film, sadly. I am a big admirer of Balagueró's Darkness too.

Glad to see mention of the most chilling Spanish film ever made - La Cabina. A manipulative masterpiece of story telling.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263181)

A classic!

De Ossorio's Blind Dead epics and Grau's Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue are arguably Espania's finest......:nod: