Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Spanish Horror (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/9236-spanish-horror.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 12:48 PM

Spanish Horror

This week, we kicked off a blog series on Facebook about the horror cinema of Spain.

Here's the first post I penned, looking at some older zombie titles:

[REC] Genesis Presents - Spanish Horror Classics: The Living Dead | Facebook

And over the next couple of weeks, we'll be revealing more.

Here's your chance to influence my choices. I have the writing for this project pretty much done but if you name a favourite and it wasn't a title I picked and you can argue the case, I'm happy to throw out one of mine and include yours.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 01:02 PM

Look no further than Waldemar Daninsky. :clap:

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 01:03 PM

I have a Naschy movie in the offing but I went with a slightly odder choice... Panic Beats.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 263167)
I have a Naschy movie in the offing but I went with a slightly odder choice... Panic Beats.

Only one, are you mad? :lol:

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 01:12 PM

We doing five posts, two films a post over five weeks. Much as I'd love to do more Nachy movies, there's other stuff to consider... Like The Blind Dead films covered today. I love his work though, much underrated

Gojirosan 3rd August 2012 01:26 PM

I recently assembled a small "Spanish section" whilst finally putting all my film collection on shelves finally.

There have been some excellent modern Spanish contributions.

There was Jaume Balagueró's excellent adaptation of Ramsey Campbell's The Nameless/Los sin nombre from 1999 (which does a remarkable job of translating the odd, dreamy atmosphere of the novel to the screen); there was El rey de la montaña/King Of The Hill from 2007 (sadly Gonzalo López-Gallego would go on to make the dreadful Apollo 18, but I try not to hold that against him!); The Nun/La monja (2005, d: Luis de la Madrid) which was a silly but atmospheric and enjoyable film, quite beautifully shot; the opinion splitting The Abandoned from Nacho CerdÃ* in 2005, which I thought was just superb...and that's before one even considers the mighty The Orphanage!

Of course the classics from Jorge Grau and Amando de Ossorio and their ilk bear remembering, but they do rather overshadow some slightly lesser known crackers: The Hanging Woman/La orgÃ*a de los muertos from 1973, directed by José Luis Merino; Vengeance Of The Zombies/La rebelión de las muertas, also 1973, by the often under-rated director León Klimovsky; the fun Gothic romp Il castello dalle porte di fuoco/Blood Castle, Merino again, from 1970...and so on...

And they are just the ones I can see to my right on the shelf! So many others to be found!

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 01:28 PM

Despite it starring Ally McBeal, 10 points to the excellent Spanish production Fragile!

robertzombie 3rd August 2012 01:36 PM

Death is Child's Play (1976) - IMDb

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 01:41 PM

Great choice - I already have this in readiness under a different title.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 263172)
Despite it starring Ally McBeal, 10 points to the excellent Spanish production Fragile!

Agreed, Fragile was excellent as was Gojirosan's choice of The Abandoned.

The Nameless / Los Sin Nombre bored me to tears though. I think i may need to give it another go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:09 PM

Mustn't forget Who Can Kill a Child either. :)

robertzombie 3rd August 2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 263176)

;)

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:42 PM

OK, so I've had a thought.

Instead of replacing what I've already prepared, I might do a fan picks one and quote some of you. I'll make sure some kind of Rec goodies find their way to anyone whose quoted as a thank you.

Here's my original post, have a look and suggest other titles if you want to join in:

[REC] Genesis: Bueno Horror!

Sam@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263181)

See the original blog I wrote above. Once seen, never forgotten I think (the film that is, not my blog. Ego not that huge!).

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 03:51 PM

My contribution for a possible fan pick.

One of my favourite Spanish films has always been The Loreley's Grasp.

Its a film about a German legend in the small town of St Goarshausen on the banks of the river Rhine. The Lorelie itself is a huge rock which soars out from the waterline.

Due to the narrowness of the Rhine, the extremely strong current and dangerous rocks below the waterline, over the years many vessels have come to a nasty end here.

Naturally legends began to form as the decades passed, in this case of a siren whose song lured unsuspecting boats onto the rocks and their impending destruction. The Loreley is also the adopted name of said siren.

Amando De Ossorio's brilliantly atmospheric film from 1974 takes this legend and ups the ante in horror terms. The Loreley in question, played by the stunning Helga Line, needs human hearts for a perverse ritual. Fearing for its students a nearby school for young women (ie -beautiful women only too happy to wear transparent negligees and bear their breasts at the drop of a hat) hires a hunter, charmingly played by Tony Kendall to track down the Loreley and put an end to the murders.

The film features graphic moments of flesh ripping horror amidst its otherwise beautiful gothic trappings, De Ossorio bringing an almost romantic feel to the production, lovingly created by his wonderful cinematography.

Although The Blind Dead films remain at the top of De Ossorio's resume, for me The Loreley's Grasp wins the gold medal.

Gojirosan 3rd August 2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263197)
My contribution for a possible fan pick.

One of my favourite Spanish films has always been The Loreley's Grasp.

Its a film about a German legend in the small town of St Goarshausen on the banks of the river Rhine. The Lorelie itself is a huge rock which soars out from the waterline.

Due to the narrowness of the Rhine, the extremely strong current and dangerous rocks below the waterline, over the years many vessels have come to a nasty end here.

Naturally legends began to form as the decades passed, in this case of a siren whose song lured unsuspecting boats onto the rocks and their impending destruction. The Loreley is also the adopted name of said siren.

Amando De Ossorio's brilliantly atmospheric film from 1974 takes this legend and ups the ante in horror terms. The Loreley in question, played by the stunning Helga Line, needs human hearts for a perverse ritual. Fearing for its students a nearby school for young women (ie -beautiful women only too happy to wear transparent negligees and bear their breasts at the drop of a hat) hires a hunter, charmingly played by Tony Kendall to track down the Loreley and put an end to the murders.

The film features graphic moments of flesh ripping horror amidst its otherwise beautiful gothic trappings, De Ossorio bringing an almost romantic feel to the production, lovingly created by his wonderful cinematography.

Although The Blind Dead films remain at the top of De Ossorio's resume, for me The Loreley's Grasp wins the gold medal.

One of my most wanted films. Is there an affordable reissue yet? I have only seen it on the old UK VHS which was the darkest dupe I have ever seen. A good half of the film was pretty much just black screen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 263210)
One of my most wanted films. Is there an affordable reissue yet? I have only seen it on the old UK VHS which was the darkest dupe I have ever seen. A good half of the film was pretty much just black screen.

I am fortunate to have the BCI Spanish Horror Collection release.

I managed to pick up 9 releases whilst they were around a fiver each.

Pete 3rd August 2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263213)
I am fortunate to have the BCI Spanish Horror Collection release.

I managed to pick up 9 releases whilst they were around a fiver each.

Lucky ****. :cry:

Gojirosan 3rd August 2012 04:22 PM

I thought Fragile was excellent, but Calista Flockhart (though she tried) was the weak link in the film, sadly. I am a big admirer of Balagueró's Darkness too.

Glad to see mention of the most chilling Spanish film ever made - La Cabina. A manipulative masterpiece of story telling.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263181)

A classic!

De Ossorio's Blind Dead epics and Grau's Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue are arguably Espania's finest......:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 04:30 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 263214)
Lucky ****. :cry:

:lol:

The only one i missed was The Dracula Saga. :mmph:

Absolutely stunning picture quality on all of them.

Gojirosan 3rd August 2012 04:45 PM

It's a pity more didn't hit BD before BCI went tits up.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 263230)
It's a pity more didn't hit BD before BCI went tits up.

Someone must be able to secure the rights you would think.

Pete 3rd August 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263275)
Someone must be able to secure the rights you would think.

I read something about no one bothering because the BCI editions did awful business.

Really hope that's not true.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 263278)
I read something about no one bothering because the BCI editions did awful business.

Really hope that's not true.

:(:(:(

Pete 3rd August 2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263284)
:(:(:(

It was either that or the rights holders want too much.

Or both.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 263219)
Absolutely stunning picture quality on all of them.

Agreed. Great releases; all of them :nod:

Pete 3rd August 2012 07:12 PM

Be nice if someone released a remastered edition of THE VAMPIRES NIGHT ORGY.

Sam@Cult Labs 30th August 2012 11:47 AM

Here's the concluding part to the Spanish Horror blog series:

[REC] Movies UK Presents - Spanish Horror Classics: More Spanish Carnage... | Facebook

And a round up of the previous entries...

REC Genesis: The Spanish Horror Blog Series | Facebook

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2018 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On a BLIND DEAD roll just now (Again)...Watched TOMBS last night-and it's Return tonight,after Sleepless.

I wish to hell someone would get the first 3 films out on Blu Ray.
The SF disc of Seagulls looks great in hd.

XT Video were supposed to do the lot.....anyone heard owt about them?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2018 06:32 PM

I love the Blind Dead series.They ooze with atmosphere and dread,and the end of the original is still one of the bleakest endings in a movie.Ever.

Any other fans?

What's everyone's favourite installment?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2018 06:33 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcbfKZSvI0

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2018 06:34 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D25JxKkY8Ew

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyY6z7XUzG4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KhqgUP6tgk

nosferatu42 6th June 2018 06:35 PM

I really liked all of them except for Ghost Galleon, which i thought wasn't that great.:pop2:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2018 06:40 PM

Even the music is creepy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylcLk-oJtw

Demoncrat 4th July 2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 577890)
I love the Blind Dead series.They ooze with atmosphere and dread,and the end of the original is still one of the bleakest endings in a movie.Ever.

Any other fans?

What's everyone's favourite installment?

AYE. I love them. Even in Macumba Sexual :laugh:. Clank Clank here we come etc. :hail:
BDs NOW ....

Crimson Blade 4th July 2018 08:23 PM

Love the Blind Dead films. But the third one was definitely the weakest. Too dragged out. And there's only so much you can do on a boat.

This would be a perfect box set for an Arrow blu-ray release.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th July 2018 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 581053)
AYE. I love them. Even in Macumba Sexual :laugh:. Clank Clank here we come etc. :hail:
BDs NOW ....

Haha Franco's version was only slightly less scary.....:lol: