Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree200Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2013, 10:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I've cut a huge chunk out of my "Horror History", namely the time my English teacher, the bloody gorgeous Miss Lloyd, addressed her concerns to my parents at the fact I brought the Exorcist in to read in English when I was 12, instead of the Famous Five shite my classmates were reading.
Yeah I remember bringing in a tape of Polanski's Macbeth to watch for English class (the play was on the finals exam for that particular year) and the teacher, obviously no cinéaste groaned throughout the blood and nudity. Guys in the class loved it though...
Rik likes this.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

My love for horror flicks started with the BBC's horror double bills. The first horror movie I was allowed to stay up and watch as a youngster was Hammer's The Vampire Lovers, with all the nudity and beheadings that was an eye-opener for sure. From TV horror I moved onto video, when my family bought their first VCR. I think the first video nasty I ever saw was the 'strong uncut version' of Zombie Flesh-Eaters, quickly followed by the uncut Replay Video edition of Cannibal Ferox. I just devoured video horror, action, comedy and sci-fi from then on. I also got into books and mags about the subject too, and my love has lasted to this day with all my old favourites now being released onto DVD and Blu-ray.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 1st August 2013, 12:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just remember being absorbed by Horror films growing up, I felt like I was watching truly outlaw Cinema, and I loved the fact that the people around me hated horror movies. You could just mention the title of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and it would cause disgust. I mean I used to cue up ultra-splattery moments from the VHS copy of The Thing as my parents would walk in the room, just to be obnoxious.
Daemonia and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 1st August 2013, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Since the 1980s it has been so easy for fans of any genre to watch their favourite films due to home video beginning with VHS leading up to today's Blu Rays. I never had a VHS player until I was 26 and married and so had to see films at the cinema or wait until they were screened on one of the 3, and later 4, tv channels. I had no control over what films would be on telly over the weekend.

The next best thing was books and I was a literary sponge absorbing everything I could on the famous and not so famous monsters, Dennis Gifford's "Pictorial History of Horror Movies" was on an almost indefinite loan to me from the Firth Park Library in Sheffield. The other BIG influences at this time were the Warren Publications "Creepy" and "Eerie" comics, as well as good stories and art they had all these cool adverts in them for things like Metaluna Mutant masks and other stuff that was impossible to get over hear. In the mid to late '70s was e series of horror films, mostly "Hammer" and "Amicus," that I and all my friends would watch and talk about for the rest of the week.

Other early influences have to be TV series like "Doctor Who", "The Invaders", "The Night Gallery", "Doomwatch" and the "Twilight Zone". AND, we can't forget the great BBC Christmas Ghost Stories.

Monster Magnet
Old 1st August 2013, 05:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've written a blog on it

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blog...y-journey.html
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 1st August 2013, 05:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Good stuff dude, I enjoyed it. Cat's Eye ! That brings back a memory, a film I have not seen in 20 years ! A lot of people will call out seeing stuff like Zombie Flesh Eaters (which was a huge film for me in terms of European Cult Cinema) but I love seeing mentioned the real random ones - I mean, for no special reason I have a powerful memory of renting out Shocker, a pretty mediocre Wes Craven film, but y'know good memories, great days...
troggi likes this.
Old 1st August 2013, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I have a powerful memory of renting out Shocker, a pretty mediocre Wes Craven film, but y'know good memories, great days...
I rented Shocker purely because Megadeth had a version of Alice Cooper's No More Mr Nice Guy on the soundtrack, can't remember a damn thing about the film now though
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st August 2013, 05:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Good stuff dude, I enjoyed it. Cat's Eye ! That brings back a memory, a film I have not seen in 20 years ! A lot of people will call out seeing stuff like Zombie Flesh Eaters (which was a huge film for me in terms of European Cult Cinema) but I love seeing mentioned the real random ones - I mean, for no special reason I have a powerful memory of renting out Shocker, a pretty mediocre Wes Craven film, but y'know good memories, great days...
Cheers. Trust mother to moan at him lol.
troggi likes this.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Since the 1980s it has been so easy for fans of any genre to watch their favourite films due to home video beginning with VHS leading up to today's Blu Rays. I never had a VHS player until I was 26 and married and so had to see films at the cinema or wait until they were screened on one of the 3, and later 4, tv channels. I had no control over what films would be on telly over the weekend.

The next best thing was books and I was a literary sponge absorbing everything I could on the famous and not so famous monsters, Dennis Gifford's "Pictorial History of Horror Movies" was on an almost indefinite loan to me from the Firth Park Library in Sheffield. In the mid to late '70s was e series of horror films, mostly "Hammer" and "Amicus," that I and all my friends would watch and talk about for the rest of the week

Other early influences have to be TV series like "Doctor Who", "The Invaders", "The Night Gallery", "Doomwatch" and the "Twilight Zone". AND, we can't forget the great BBC Christmas Ghost Stories.

I have got Dennis Gifford's 'Pictorial History of Horror Movies' myself, same cover n everything. I think it was the second book i picked up on horror film's when i was a young boy.
After that any book i saw on horror films was mine.
Missed out on Eerie & Creepy magazines though.
Remember briefly having a novel sized comic adaption of 'Tales from the crypt' film though don't know what happened to that.
Got into Doctor who during Tom Baker's later stories, remember a season where BBC showed a story from each doctor, can't remember first Doctors story but remember watching Patrick Troughton's 'Kroton' story at this time and I think 'Carnival of Monster's' with mr Pertwee.
Used to loan Doctor Who books from the library a lot when i was a whippersnapper.
Remember watching Twilight Zone a lot too, but never caught up with The Outer limits till a few years ago. Good stuff!!!
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict

I didn't have a video recorder in the house until i was about 16, my dad wasn't into technology much.
Grew up watching basically anything horror that turned up on TV. And a lot of other good film's besides. Think late 70's and 80's TV was a golden time for horror films being shown on TV myself.(i saw many film's that have still not seen since). Such vivid memories for me.
My dad wasn't into horror, so i would watch all the films late at night when everyone else had gone to bed. ( this is pretty much my reason for having a screwed up body clock - my general bed time is around 2am+ still)
But it was well worth it !!
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!