Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree200Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2014, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Not posted on here for a while, but much like some of the old timers, I grew up on seventies horror and followed the blood trail that started with the bbc 2 late night double bills, always watched these with my Nan,she loved them! this was whilst my parents were out in the pub. There always seemed to be a black and white and a colour movie on if I remember correctly. I have sourced a few nostalgic pics to go with this thread and for you old farts a link to the BBC2 voice over

I then started going into the Saturday market and looked at all the gory/scary covers of the paperbacks or comics and magazines available at the time, that were openly available to kids. I spent all my holiday money when we reached the caravan sight on monster comics, sod the beach etc every year I could not wait.As I got older I adorned the denim and leather look, and as a rocker I met a lad who worked in a Mortuary, he had a library of copied movies that were purchased from contacts abroad, very obscure italian uncut, awful quality movies but this is when I learned about Fulci, Argento,Bava,mad films like Diabolik, John Waters,herschel gordon lewis stuff and more, what an eye opener! I had a lot of VHS copies that I had collected and created myslef, kept in a coffin that my Dad got me ( long story) but this guy really brought me on in terms of what was out there beneath the surface of our hight street 'x cert' stuff.

These are some of the main guilty culprits for my obsession. Hope they bring some memories back for some.

Old 27th October 2014, 10:42 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great post profondo rosso - Those are some fantastic cover designs you've posted.
troggi likes this.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Thanks, the more I searched for images the more nostalgic it become. A lot of memories, which in was the best part of my childhood and teen years. Magical times. I remember wanting so much to get into SFX but there were no courses for me to become the next Tom Savini, I remember in mags they advertised courses down London way, but coming from the Midlands back then seemed 1000's miles away and finacialy impossible. I now can not imagine my life without horror and sci-fi in it. It is not just escapism, it is like it is part of me, although I do find a lot of the latest horror is poop and thats not just so I can hark on about the past but I would love to see something original....like when Hellraiser come out....that blew me away at the time.
I still collect horror vinyl and magazines, though this has slowed down due to space and an irritating noise in my left hear called the missus.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Thanks, the more I searched for images the more nostalgic it become. A lot of memories, which in was the best part of my childhood and teen years. Magical times. I remember wanting so much to get into SFX but there were no courses for me to become the next Tom Savini, I remember in mags they advertised courses down London way, but coming from the Midlands back then seemed 1000's miles away and finacialy impossible. I now can not imagine my life without horror and sci-fi in it. It is not just escapism, it is like it is part of me, although I do find a lot of the latest horror is poop and thats not just so I can hark on about the past but I would love to see something original....like when Hellraiser come out....that blew me away at the time.
I still collect horror vinyl and magazines, though this has slowed down due to space and an irritating noise in my left hear called the missus.
A lot of that stuff reminds me of myself, the late night bbc stuff that started it all off, i too read the scream comics (love 'em) avidly and used to get horror books from local markets etc, was reading James Herbert and Stephen King and those Pan horror stories by the age of 10.

Meeting someone at about 15 who had dodgy copies of Fulci, Nasties and Giallo, (even though i'd already rented a lot of the uk released horror,even though they were obviously already mutilated by the BBFC.)
Oh and i was also spawned in the Midlands too,
doppelganger alert !!

Must be something in the water.

Liked the BBC intro, did you read the darkside mag issue a few copies back that had listing details for all of the films shown on those pivotal double bills.
Pure nostalgia.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 27th October 2014, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Yes, I managed to get that issue, very interesting about the old double bills and why they went away after being so popular. Hence the Classic Horror Campaign which, though I would love this to make a massive difference, I just see the tv companies pandering to shallow, mundane crap like x-factor and big brother and those bloody incesent baking programmes AAAGGGHHH! anyway time to siddle off to the bedroom for horror viewings before the celebrity baking cakes on ice in the jungle starts downstairs.
Old 18th July 2015, 09:58 PM
Cultist in Training

I just liked it from an early age. I can't tell you the reason why; I just do. It is the same with music - I love Heavy Metal. I have often found that a lot of times these two go hand in hand for whatever reason.

I find there is a certain charm in these films (that is largely overlooked by the majority). A lot of critics trash them and you know they can call it what they want....but at the end of the day if you get enjoyment out of them then who gives a shit? I have always been a person who very much wanted to be my own person, whether my likes or dislikes fell into the "popular" spectrum didn't matter... I have been drawn to film/music of not so popular genres so to speak for as long as I can remember.
Old 18th July 2015, 11:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Great thread.
I think I can pretty much blame my older brother. He was - and still is - very much a film fan and I basically grew up on all the 80s (and some 70s) horror and action movies and the like. Hell, he's even responsible for me being a Who fan (even though he isn't) by buying me a Who book for Christmas when I was 11. Even though I was aware of the show and had seen it before, for some reason it really caught my imagination and off I went from there. In the 90s he had a laserdisc player and a projector so I certainly got an education. By the time he eventually left home I was hooked and had my own tastes and peculiarities and obsessions.
Old 17th January 2024, 01:03 PM
Cult Master

As I mentioned here ten years ago now Jesus Christ ten years

Anyway my father having horror around the house got me into horror but it was really The Devil Rides Out that made me love it watching in one weekend late on BBC when the goat satan appeared it genuinely scared the crap out of me I loved that feeling and I was hooked.

Share your tales of your first experience of horror cinema .
Old 17th January 2024, 01:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Think I was 6-7 years old and would have to been either a Friday night or school holidays as it was past my bedtime. my dad was watching From Beyond The Grave and my first introduction to Peter Cushing. When my folks would go out on a Saturday night, my older sister Denise would rent a horror and encourage me to watch them and got hooked on horror movies.
Old 17th January 2024, 01:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Think I was 6-7 years old and would have to been either a Friday night or school holidays as it was past my bedtime. my dad was watching From Beyond The Grave and my first introduction to Peter Cushing. When my folks would go out on a Saturday night, my older sister Denise would rent a horror and encourage me to watch them and got hooked on horror movies.
I remember my parents like yours would go out on a Saturday night and my sister left me get up and watch A Nightmare On Elm Street on Sky it was the 10 o clock film the scene with the big long arms freaked me out for years

That was one way to keep me quite cause she would sneak in her boyfriend

Like this? Share it using the links below!