Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2012, 09:25 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
69 Werewolf and the Yeti Could be shown on afternoon telly. Snorefest.
It's a great film!

How many other movies have a montage of London - red buses, tower bridge etc - while the soundtrack plays 'Scotland the Brave'?
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th September 2012, 09:34 PM
Active Cultist

There's a new edition of the Video Nasties DVD coming. No details on what it might contain but the FB page is - Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide | Facebook
Old 26th September 2012, 12:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

I still haven't bought this Nucleus release, I'll have to get myself a copy.As for my favourite films on the list, they are:
The Beyond
House by the Cemetery
The Burning
I Spit on your Grave
Tenebrae
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Dead and Buried
Evilspeak
Zombie Creeping Flesh
Anthropophagous The Beast
Cannibal Ferox
Night of the Demon
Cannibal Holocaust
Island of Death
The Evil Dead
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
dis likes this.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:29 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm gonna flip Boo radley's post around, as many he thinks are rubbish I think are great...

1 Absurd. Brilliantly offbeat and with an outrageous explanation that even I couldn't believe. Nicely atmospehric in places and some very nsaty kills.

2 Anthropophagus: The Beast. Atmospheric, creepy and full of menace. This is not boring or inept in the slightest. It's a great exercise in understated horror - excepting the outrageous final few gory minutes.

3 Axe. An unsettling backwoods horror in which some crims hide out in an old house and encounter the murderous Lisa. Strange and uneasy. I really like it.

4 The Beast in Heat. You would only consider this overhyped if you don't think a film glorifying the sadism of the Nazis is inoffensive. Trust me, most people would still find this offensive. But yes, it's all pretty inept but you have to keep watching, you can't help it. And Sal Boris! Yikes! Pube muncher ahoy!

5 The Beyond. Classic slice of Fulci goodness. If you haven't seen this - then why not??

6 Blood Bath. Allso known as A Bay of Blood, Mario Bava's film pretty much defines the blueprint for body-count slasher movies that were to follow. It might seem a bit creaky and dated now, but I still think it's a superb film.

7 Blood Feast. I'll concede that this isn't a great film - but it was the first official 'gore for gore's sake' movies. The acting is unformly bad but the gore still packs quite a punch.

8 Blood Rites. This is pretty awful - and who the **** is Colin? The film mostly consists of talking heads and not a lot happens. I have absolutely no idea why this one was banned.

9 Bloody Moon. Not seen this one yet.

10 The Boogy Man. Decent slasher style horror from Ulli Lommell and I rather like it. It's no classic but enjoyable enough.

11 The Burning. One of the better slashers from the early 80's cycle. Savini's FX are masterful and Cropsy is a formidable foe. I think this never became a franchise as he only really had one method of killing whereas the likes of Friday the 13th positively revelled in the sheer variety of ways in which people were dispatched - thus enabling sequel-after-sequel.

12 Cannibal Apocalypse. John Saxon goes cannibal! Having come back from 'Nam with a taste for human flesh. He manages to suppress his cravings - but his former army mates are on a cannibal rampage! John Morghen loses his stomach and Saxon's eyebrows out-act him. Unmissable.

13 Cannibal Ferox. An understandably notorious entry featuring as it does real animal violence and the like. But let's not forget that many pre-certs were still cut. A repugnant film in many ways, but one I sometimes feel the need to revisit for reasons I can't articulate. Maybe it's the bad wigs, the funky music...or...who knows.

14 Cannibal Holocaust. The pinnacle of the genre, if there is such a thing. This one pulls no punches and slaps you in the face with its grotesque violence - and yet it's also designed to make you think. A real powerhouse of a film. Love it or hate it, its power is undeniable.

15 Cannibal Man. Couldn't quite warm to this but it does have its moments. A slaughterhouse worker goes a bit nuts but changes his ways when he meets the local gay. Not sure what it all means, I'm sure it means something.

16 Cannibal Terror. Unforgivably bad, but it made me laugh, so I like it.

17 Contamination. Alien eggs open and stomachs explode. Enjoyable nonsense.

18 Dead and Buried. The people of Potter's Bluff are acting strangely and people are turning up dead. The local cop is looking into it but may find more than he bargained for. Brilliant film.

19 Death Trap. 'My name's Buck and I'm raring to ****!' Hooper's tale of a remote deep south hotel where the landlord feeds customers to his alligator. Not bad, but the cosntant country music gets a bit much after a while!

20 Deep River Savages. A kind of cannibalistic riff on A Man Called Horse with Ivan Rassimov wanting to become part of the tribe so he can be with his woman. Notable as probably being the very first in the Italian cannibal cycle.

21 Delirium. Not seen this one.

22 The Devil Hunter. The usual Franco weirdness and not all that great. Not one I'[d revisit often.

23 Don't Go In The House. Man lures women back to his house where he blowtorches them. Much better than reviews might suggest, this is actually a brilliantly crafted film. Well worth a look.

24 Don't Go In The Woods....Alone. It's hilariously bad but I enjoyed every second of it. Enjoy the badness!

25 Don't Go Near The Park. Laser beam eyes, strange goings on in the park. What's going on? ****ed if I know!

26 Don't Look In The Basement. A brilliantly off-kilter film that gives new meaning to the lunatics have taken over the asylum. I enjoyed the array of colourful characters and never being able to predict what happens next. Not a masterpiece by any means, but nowhere near as bad as some think it is.

27 Driller Killer. Tormented by his loud rock band neighbours a man is driven to murder people with his power drill. Does heavy rock really have this effect on people? I guess it can...

28 Evil Dead. The No 1 Nasty, apparently. Peerless gore magic from Raimi.

29 Evilspeak. Oddball student manages to conjure satan on his computer...or something. Found this all a bit silly - mildly diverting but nothing special.

30 Expose. Not seen it yet.

31 Faces of Death. Not seen and have no interest in seeing.

32 Fight For Your Life. More than 'just racist language', this actually gets to the heart of the hipocrisy of racism. Sanderson is on overdrive and, in spite of the racist language, gives a brilliant performance. I just lau8ghed and thought 'You can't say that!!' I think it's a misunderstood film, if you really look at it, it's anti-racism. The racists are portrayed as ignorant hillbillies whilst the captive family show their true intelligence and dignity.

33 Warhol's Frankenstein. Arty take on the frankie tale, but there's still enough sleaze and gore to keep it interesting. Recommended.

34 Forest of Fear. Some stoned zombies. I think?

35 Frozen Scream. Not seen it yet.

36 Funhouse. Nice slasher style horror from Hooper - not his best work and a lower tier slasher, but it's not all bad.

37 Gestapo's Last Orgy. Not quite what the title suggests, it's still an intrguing film that follows a similar trajectory to the Night Porter. Sort of.

38 House by the Cemetery. Unmissable Fulci IMO. It's Fulci, dammit, I need say no more than that.

39 House on the Edge of the Park. Deodato goes urban and delivers this Last House riff featuring an OTT Hess and Morghen as two crims who gatecrash a posh party - or so they think. Silly, ludicrous, and at times downright offensive, this is great sleazy cinema.

40 Human Experiments. Not seen it yet.

41 I Miss You, Hugs and Kisses. Non idea whyb this ended up on the list, but there ya go. Someone gets clobbered and the rest of the film I tried to figure what was going on. But that couled've been the tape rolling and shit.

42 I Spit on Your Grave. Harsh and brutal rape/revenge movie that really hits you in the face and is unflinching in its portrayal of the horror of rape. Is the content of the film justified within its context? This will be debated endlessly. Still deeply shocking and unmissable.

43 Inferno. Masterful supernatural horror from Argento.

44 Island of Death. Grim and....er...laughable. It''s a weird film that you can't really pin down. Some crazy shit though - keep your goats locked up!

45 Killer Nun. Thought this was boring and dull. Nothing happens.

46 Last House on the Left. Grim and bleak rape/revenge drama based on Bergman's The Virgin Spring. Craven really made his mark with this film.]

47 Living Dead (Man Morgue). Classic zombie goodness.

48 Love Camp 7. Ridicullous. But oddly entertaining.

49 Madhouse. Nothing special.

50 Mardi Gras Massacre. 'Tell me, who is the most evil woman in this place?' Bad dialogue, bad FX, bad acting. It's all round bad. And who exactly is he sacrificing to? 'These are the feet that brought you here...'

51 Nightmare Maker. Not seen this.

52 Nightmares in a Damaged Brain. The film has a very sleazy atmosphere to it and some nasty gore at times. Not a bad film, I reckon.

53 Night of the Bloody Apes. A man turns into an ape and kills people. Then there's some female wrestling. And....well....if you can make sense of it all you're a better person than I!

54 Night of the Demon. Penis ripping sasquatch. Do I really need to say more than that? No, it's not a good film, but I like it.

55 Late Night Trains. An interesting rape/revenge tale that tries to have more class than other films of this ilk. Some of it works, some of backfires. The title song by Demis Roussos is truly horrifying, though.

56 Possession. Strange tale of a woman who may be paranoid or strange things really are happening. Very surreal at times and I found the last 20 minutes or so very unsettling.

57 Pranks. Some interesting kills but overall it's not a great film.

58 Prisoner of the Cannibal God. Stacey Keach and Ursual Andress in an Italian cannibal adventure - what's not to love? Okay, maybe not the animal violence, but the rest of it is a good jungle adventure. there's even a cstaration to rival that in any other cannibal film. Not sure why i mentioned that - maybe it's to show how classy it is?

59 Revenge of the Boogyman. Mostly flashbacks I believe, not seen it myself.

60 Shogun Assassin. Blood spurtingly good! The blood literally squirts like geysers in this OTT martial arts film. Unmissable.

61 The Slayer. A bit dull but the guy stuck by his neck in a trapd oor is quite disturbing IMO. Overall a bit sill and forgettable.

62 Snuff. The film that could only be made in South America - where life uis cheap! Actors and crew are probably cheap too. Really, really bad. But that tacked on ending is quite something, but not enough to redeem this garbage.

63 SS Experiment Camp. Sill Nazisploitation notable for someone looking for their balls.

64 Tenebrae. Classic Argento. Nuff said.

65 Terror Eyes. Not seen it.

66 Toolbox Murders. A tremendously violent and sleazy first act, a slow middle act, then an unhinged third act with a looney Cameron Mitchell. I like it.

67 Unhinged. Bored me stupid.

68 Visiting Hours. Michael Ironside is great as the villain, but Shatner and Remick seem totally lost. It's alright.

69 Werewolf and the Yeti. Not seen it yet.

70 Witch who came from the Sea. An evocative film that deals with abuse and retribution. Far better than people expect it to be.

71 Women Behind Bars. Not seen it.

72 Xtro. Giant action men killing an Eastenders cast member? Count me in!

73 Zombie Creeping Flesh. When confronting a zombie apocalypse there's only one thing to do - strip nude and observe the natives! Or something. It's rubbish, but enjoable rubbish.

74 Zombie Flesh Eaters. Fucli's classic and the film that paved the way for so many great (and not so great) Italian horror films.
dis and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:32 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I also find it interesting that people would say of something like Tenebrae 'Why is this on the list?' Why say that? Is it because tenebrae is a good film? So am I right in saying most people equate Video Nasty with rubbish films?

You see, that's my problem with the term right there.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 26th September 2012, 04:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Devil Hunter is a must as well........

Oh come on, you knew I was going to...fresh meat and aw that.....Welcome 87 btw!!
Thanks I can't believe how much this thread has grown since I last posted, go a lot of reading and catching up to do.

Unhinged is (unfortunately) one of the ones I already own.

I really want to see the Cannibal films, but I have a HUGE Problem with he real animal violence. Is there any way (this is going to sound really stupid, let's see if you know what I mean) I can see these films uncut without the real animal violence (make sense?)?

Last edited by ArgentoFan1987; 26th September 2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 26th September 2012, 07:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm pretty sure (and someone could back me up here) that xtro was on the Banned list but wasn't a actual banned film in the sense of video nasties , but more to do with because it came out round same time as et they didn't want ppl getting the two mixed up and thinking xtro was a et nasty, and didnt want kids to get hold of mixing the two films , I'm not sure that makes sense but I'm sure someone will understand what I'm getting at and back me up
Old 26th September 2012, 07:59 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Thanks I can't believe how much this thread has grown since I last posted, go a lot of reading and catching up to do.

Unhinged is (unfortunately) one of the ones I already own.

I really want to see the Cannibal films, but I have a HUGE Problem with he real animal violence. Is there any way (this is going to sound really stupid, let's see if you know what I mean) I can see these films uncut without the real animal violence (make sense?)?
The Grindhouse Releasing version of CH has an animal free option but I believe it contains a minor cut elsewhere which has nothing to do with animals.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:18 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

There is already a thread on the board

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/coll...sty-guide.html

although a DEFINITIVE DVD list would be nice to include blu rays
Old 26th September 2012, 08:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

How the hell did expose get on the banned list where they having a laugh, even heavily censored version of , Last house on left, I spit on your grave, house on edge of the park, have got more to offer than exposé in its uncut form,

Like this? Share it using the links below!