Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree207Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 26th September 2012, 08:46 PM
Susan Foreman's Avatar
Cult Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Basil Fawlty country: The English Riviera
Default

Notoriety brings infamy!
alex s and dis like this.
__________________
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:40 AM
ArgentoFan1987's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
two great reviews on the banned video nasty listy!
great reading on two different views on this era!
anybody fancy doing the same thing on recent/2000 onward films?
may have a go myself,but my collection,aint that big.
I would've liked to but:

1. I'm shite at essays
2. Don't watch that many recent films
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 27th September 2012, 02:16 AM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I would've liked to but:

1. I'm shite at essays
2. Don't watch that many recent films
Sometimes, I think, you can get over-analytical. I watch films from all eras, but I do seem to find more pleasure in older films than new.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar

Last edited by Daemonia; 27th September 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:11 PM
gag's Avatar
gag gag is online now
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Here there and everywhere
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Sometimes, I think, you can get over-analytical. I watch films from all eras, but I do seem to find more pleasure in older films than new.
I think most film fans prefer older films than new and I'm not talking about horror just films in general, I've always said they just don't make films as good as they use to, don't get me wrong there is some goods films of today but I prefer a good 75% of films before end of the 80s, personally I think a lot of films today think they can't fail because they they got good use of cgi, more money and good actors etc where in let's say the 60' 70 80" they didn't have use of cgi and big massive budget compared of today so had to concentrate on a good story etc, that's why IMO a lot of j horrors work for the reason they don't have huge budgets and concentrate on making the films atmospheric, where as American remakes of Japanese horrors fail big time because that reason they think they got money and actors that they can't fail and sometimes miss the point and don't create and decent atmosphere,
Daemonia and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:25 PM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Some good points there, gag. Sometimes I think that today's actors are little more than props for the eyepopping FX and CGI. Back in the day actors used to act and their acting would carry the film and tell the story. These days all actors seem to do is turn up on a green soundstage and interact with things that aren't there yet.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:32 PM
ArgentoFan1987's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I think most film fans prefer older films than new and I'm not talking about horror just films in general, I've always said they just don't make films as good as they use to, don't get me wrong there is some goods films of today but I prefer a good 75% of films before end of the 80s, personally I think a lot of films today think they can't fail because they they got good use of cgi, more money and good actors etc where in let's say the 60' 70 80" they didn't have use of cgi and big massive budget compared of today so had to concentrate on a good story etc, that's why IMO a lot of j horrors work for the reason they don't have huge budgets and concentrate on making the films atmospheric, where as American remakes of Japanese horrors fail big time because that reason they think they got money and actors that they can't fail and sometimes miss the point and don't create and decent atmosphere,
I agree with both of you. Although there is the odd good film that comes out today, I alway find I'm more engrossed in older films. Films like Rififi grip you from the start and never let go, while more modern films seem to lack that.

I agree with th J -horror comment. The majority of them rely on atmosphere rather than CG effects.
Daemonia and dis like this.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:34 PM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Yes, there's definitely still the odd good new film. But mostly I find new films, for all their hype, very disappointing. I can't remember the last time I raved about a new film.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:36 PM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Notoriety brings infamy!
I think that's the general idea.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:36 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I agree with both of you. Although there is the odd good film that comes out today, I alway find I'm more engrossed in older films. Films like Rififi grip you from the start and never let go, while more modern films seem to lack that.

I agree with th J -horror comment. The majority of them rely on atmosphere rather than CG effects.
Alas, i became bored of J-Horror years ago. A dripping ceiling is only scary for so long.
Daemonia likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 27th September 2012, 12:38 PM
Daemonia's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Alas, i became bored of J-Horror years ago. A dripping ceiling is only scary for so long.
Indeed. I think the J-horror/ghost story genre in that particular vein has more than run its course now.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________
Sent from my Hoover using the power of Uri Gellar
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.