Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2012, 12:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I guess the term 'video nasty' is never going to go away, which is a pity. How about calling them 'the films that killed James Bulger'? I'm sure we all want to look back with nostalgia on that, don't we? I know I'm being crass, but you get my point. Let's relegate video nasties to the mists of time - not forgotten, but simply a footnote. After all, we don't like it when people link horror films with Bulger, do we? Genre fans go into a rage over that - and yet the original nasties debacle was linking films with actual horrific crimes, but people seem to get all nostalgic over it for reasons that baffle me.
Pete and Demoncrat like this.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Not when you keep resurrecting this thread
Daemonia likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th October 2012, 12:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ah I dunno about letting it fade away, a Cult Cinema board should have a Video Nasties thread on the go. Whatever about the individual films, the list is more than the sum of its parts, when I discovered it in the early 90’s it introduced me to the heavyweights of European Cult Cinema is one fell swoop. So for me it’s hugely important. I’m always happy to discuss the films on the list...
dis likes this.
Old 24th October 2012, 01:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I don't mind discussing them but I know some members hate the term. Basically the forum is divided into these member types(disclaimer:no offence meant with these categories)
1) Older members that remember the awful times when these films were causing all the trouble(Reaps, Daemonia, MTDS etc)
2) Almost old members(like myself, Paul D, AntMumford etc.)who remember seeing the videos in shops but were too young to see the films and discovered them via The Dark Side in the early 90's
3) Young members, (such as Hawkmonger, Fuzzymctiger etc) who are probably only just discovering these films
4) The members who aren't interested in these films and finally(Pete etc.)
5) The members who talk about Prisoner:Cell Block H etc and aren't usually involved in genre chit chat

That's why I think these films will forever be classed the way they are and discussed to death for many years to come. I understand why our senior member feel anger towards this subject(and probably me now for calling them senior!) because I imagine getting access to these films was expensive and hard back in the day
Wes and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th October 2012, 07:51 PM
Cultist in Training

we are all young at hear
Old 24th October 2012, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I don't mind discussing them but I know some members hate the term. Basically the forum is divided into these member types(disclaimer:no offence meant with these categories)
1) Older members that remember the awful times when these films were causing all the trouble(Reaps, Daemonia, MTDS etc)
2) Almost old members(like myself, Paul D, AntMumford etc.)who remember seeing the videos in shops but were too young to see the films and discovered them via The Dark Side in the early 90's
3) Young members, (such as Hawkmonger, Fuzzymctiger etc) who are probably only just discovering these films
5) The members who talk about Prisoner:Cell Block H etc and aren't usually involved in genre chit chat

That's why I think these films will forever be classed the way they are and discussed to death for many years to come. I understand why our senior member feel anger towards this subject(and probably me now for calling them senior!) because I imagine getting access to these films was expensive and hard back in the day
I am interested in the films, but as 'films' not nasties. (if that makes sense)

I just wish people would let them be free from that awful tag.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 24th October 2012, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I guess the term 'video nasty' is never going to go away, which is a pity. How about calling them 'the films that killed James Bulger'? I'm sure we all want to look back with nostalgia on that, don't we? I know I'm being crass, but you get my point. Let's relegate video nasties to the mists of time - not forgotten, but simply a footnote. After all, we don't like it when people link horror films with Bulger, do we? Genre fans go into a rage over that - and yet the original nasties debacle was linking films with actual horrific crimes, but people seem to get all nostalgic over it for reasons that baffle me.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 24th October 2012, 07:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I don't mind discussing them but I know some members hate the term. Basically the forum is divided into these member types

(disclaimer:no offence meant with these categories)

Rik - you know I love you dearly, but I have spent all day trying to work out which category you have put me in!

So, on a scale of 1 - 5, where do you see me?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th October 2012, 08:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I am interested in the films, I just wish people would let them be free from that awful tag.
Of course Pete, my mistake
Old 24th October 2012, 08:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Rik - you know I love you dearly, but I have spent all day trying to work out which category you have put me in!

So, on a scale of 1 - 5, where do you see me?
Ha! get out of that one then tricky ricky

Like this? Share it using the links below!