Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2012, 05:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I'm just glad to be able to watch some of my favourite horror films clearly, whether it's on DVD or BD, without having to squint through a layer of fuzziness and snow.I don't feel any nostalgia for battered old VHS tapes at all.

To each his own but the VHS tapes still had superior artwork and I felt a helluva lot more satisfaction tracking down an uncut copy of Four Flies for instance then I do walking into HMV and just picking up a dvd or blu with often awful artwork and glossed up more than it was in theatre.
alex s, Steel76 and platostotal like this.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
To each his own but the VHS tapes still had superior artwork and I felt a helluva lot more satisfaction tracking down an uncut copy of Four Flies for instance then I do walking into HMV and just picking up a dvd or blu with often awful artwork and glossed up more than it was in theatre.
If they are so bad then why not just stick with your hard earned vhs tapes?
Old 6th October 2012, 05:40 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Just give me dvds and Bd's with decent (and in most cases, the original) artwork, and I'd be a happy chappy. i AM picky.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Just give me dvds and Bd's with decent (and in most cases, the original) artwork, and I'd be a happy chappy. i AM picky.
Sometimes i wonder if you actually need the discs.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:46 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sometimes i wonder if you actually need the discs.
Haha, I'm beginning to wonder myself!
Old 6th October 2012, 06:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Some collectors can actually do both without giving a smarmy "if you dont like it" attitude.

I started the thread asking for peoples opinions not there attacks..not cool.

It seemed especially relevant at a time when we are seeing Albums and VHS making a comeback in a collectors niche market.

As for the not needing discs joke..it actually is becoming a serious question. I know so many people now that have moved away from physical media into digital format. For a lot of casuals blu has been bypassed completely to go right into digital.
Old 6th October 2012, 06:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Yeah, sorry you're right.

I tend to think you're right about Blu being bypassed and casual viewers going with Netflix and other video on demand companies.

I'm not aware of vhs making a comeback over here. Vinyl will never die and is still being produced.
Old 6th October 2012, 06:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Yeah, sorry you're right.

I tend to think you're right about Blu being bypassed and casual viewers going with Netflix and other video on demand companies.

I'm not aware of vhs making a comeback over here. Vinyl will never die and is still being produced.
Its all good.

Yeah where I live I dont know anyone that has cable or Sattelite anymore its all Netflix and hulu plus.

VHS tapes are being made as speciality and limited editions to promote films. My friend actual has the VHS of House of the Devil. You can google "vhs the new vinyl" and find a bunch of articles on it.

Even Horrorhound has an extremely succesful series of articles on VHS tapes.

I personally am a collector of all formats. The original statement was that horror fans are not as badass as they once were and get kinda anal about the picture quality. Which I truly standby, Ive had some great dvds that werent the most amazing quality but it gave that old school horror feel that really worked.

Heck one of the most talked about horror films right now is V/H/S and I wouldnt be at all surprised if the do what the Nethrlands did for Paranormal Activity and actually put out VHS copies. Since they will be a lot less the market makes it an instant collectors item similiar to the way Vinyl is marketed.

Heres an interesting little article:

http://theweekender.com/stories/VHS-...w-vinyl,151130
Old 6th October 2012, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice article Arrowfan.

I still have around thirty vhs for films not yet on dvd. I must admit i haven't watched any in years though.
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 6th October 2012, 07:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
Don't get me wrong, when VHS was the only way I could watch uncut horrors I loved the format.I can remember watching the uncut Vipco pre-cert of Zombie Flesh Eaters and the colour (i.e. the blood & gore), in my mind, looked more realistic and darker in it than both the overly bright Shriek Show and Blue Underground DVDs.I can recall when Laserdiscs became popular and companies like Elite started releasing films like The Evil Dead, Maniac and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I was jealous of people who could afford to collect and watch them on a format where the image was clear and free of bootleg VHS fuzziness.So, when the more affordable DVD format hit the market, and I got access to the internet and my first multi-region DVD player, I was hooked.
Criterion7 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!