Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2012, 12:58 PM
Cultist

I can see how the bd format will enhance the viewing pleasure of certain films, i.e. films shot in three band technicolor like The Wizard of Oz, To Catch A Thief, and Suspiria, but for the majority of horror and sci-fi flicks, especially the ones shot in b&W, I just don't see how the bd format really benefits them in any significant way over the standard dvd format.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
I can see how the bd format will enhance the viewing pleasure of certain films, i.e. films shot in three band technicolor like The Wizard of Oz, To Catch A Thief, and Suspiria, but for the majority of horror and sci-fi flicks, especially the ones shot in b&W, I just don't see how the bd format really benefits them in any significant way over the standard dvd format.
Psycho looks amazing on Blu Ray, as does NOTLD and the 3 films I've watched so far from the Universal Monsters set
Steel76 and PaulD like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th October 2012, 01:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
It's just a better digital representation of the 35mm format than DVD basically. Fair enough if you don't see it but I think there's a huge difference between SD and HD even in older films.

Edit: as Rik says Psycho is an excellent example of this
Steel76 likes this.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
It's just a better digital representation of the 35mm format than DVD basically. Fair enough if you don't see it but I think there's a huge difference between SD and HD even in older films.

Edit: as Rik says Psycho is an excellent example of this
I only buy stuff that i don't have on dvd on blu and films that should be seen in the best possible way such as Jaws, Alien, Blade Runner...etc. Films that were created not just to tell a story narratively but also visually. Also audio quality is something that should come with a good blu, Jaws' 7.1 HDmix is incredible and does give a feel of a cinematic experience, the same goes for Aliens. So these are the types of films that i upgrade from DVD to Blu. I still buy a shit load of dvds because film is a passion for me and some films are unavailable on blu-ray, so DVD is a cheaper option for finding out about films.
Scyther likes this.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Jean Rollin Blu collection has been incredible and I suspect will turn new audiences on to the French maverick. It did with me...
Old 15th October 2012, 03:20 PM
Cultist

I enjoy a film for its story, not so much for its pixel count.
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
If that was the case for everyone then films might as well be filmed using 80's camcorders under poor lighting, as long as they're working from a good script. Fair enough if HD doesn't interest you but to simplify it to a matter of "pixel count" is deeply unfair and undermines the fact that films should be appreciated for their technical qualities like cinematography and sound design as well as narrative, something the bluray format really illustrates better than DVD.
Daemonia, Wes, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
So....basically you're saying that those of us who are quite taken with HD are only interested in pixel counts and not the films themselves? You might want to rephrase that, as it comes across as quite dismissive and insulting...

I'll turn it around on you. If you're not interested in seeing the films in their best possible presentations, then surely that calls into question your own love of cinema. Now that's obviously not true, but see it how it sounds? So, less of the sweeping generalisations, thank you very much. Just because I have an interest in seeing my favourite films migrate to the Blu-ray format does not make me any less of a movie fan than you.
Rik, Steel76 and PaulD like this.
Old 15th October 2012, 04:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

In Robert's defense there can be an obsessive amount of technical scrutiny for DVD/BR releases but I still love the format - last night I caught a few minutes of The Brain That Wouldn't Die on Showcase TV, one of Sky's backwater channels, and it was obvious the film was sourced from a very old, public domain copy which essentially was unwatchable... Thankfully we don't have to put up with that kind of messing anymore.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

To play devil's advocate a little, I completely see where Robert is coming from. As mentioned I personally love my blus and have upgraded a reasonable amount - but I'm no HD snob, still keep lots of DVDs that I haven't/won't upgrade, and am not as discerning over transfers as some. However, a fellow cinephile friend of mine who has an encyclopaedic memory when it comes to film (he frequently blows my mind with his recall/knowledge and he loves horror) still, until recently, watched his films on CRT with no plans to upgrade. He's just got a flatscreen as a wealthy neighbour he was friendly with moved out and gave it to him. Lucky for some, but he still doesn't plan to go blu (especially as he's kind of skint). Watching a 'lesser quality' version hasn't marred his enjoyment one bit, and I could almost guarantee he would still pick up on details overlooked by a vast majority of people, including me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!