Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2012, 09:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have to agree. I don't think Robert in anyway was talking about the average dvd watcher or blu ray enthusiast. I started this thread and I will say there are quite a few blu rays in my collection. I am also on the blu ray forum as well as here.

There are those that obsess to the nth degree over such things. And it can get quite silly.

As a major cinephile with way too much useless knowledge I also am not deterred by a bad copy. If a good ones out there I'm going for it. I'll buy more regular dvds when I have to, in order to get more dvds, and buy the blus I really want.

When people start graphing it and having huge DNR debates and such I have to admit I find it a tad excessive.

Last edited by Criterion7; 16th October 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Oh yes, I'm not one to obsess over bitrates and the like, but I do like to have the films I love in the best presentation possible. But I also understand these are lean times and not everyone is in a position to make the transition to Blu-ray. I'm absolutely not looking down on anyone who still watches DVDs. I still watch DVDs, lots of them, far more than I do Blus. DVD is still a great format and has served us well and has changed the face of home entertainment forever - its revolutionary effect should not be underestimated. It's easily as revolutionary as VHS was.
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 16th October 2012, 05:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
I have to agree. I don't think Robert in anyway was talking about the average dvd watcher or blu ray enthusiast. I started this thread and I will say there are quite a few blu rays in my collection. I am also on the blu ray forum as well as here.

There are those that obsess to the nth degree over such things. And it can get quite silly.

As a major cinephile with way too much useless knowledge I also am not deterred by a bad copy. If a good ones out there I'm going for it. I'll buy more regular dvds when I have to, in order to get more dvds, and buy the blus I really want.

When people start graphing it and having huge DNR debates and such I have to admit I find it a tad excessive.
Well said. I think general forums attract such people (fortunately, it's safe to say, not here), as there's no doubt a degree of showing off when getting into almost scientific depths of picture analysis and pretending to be bothered by things I, as a casual movie watcher, can't seem to notice. It's the same with edits - I always want the uncut version, but have encountered people severely questioning jarring edits in films, insisting there's a longer cut out there that no one has any evidence of, and not even the director has hinted at. It's odd. Rather than make them look like intelligent movie fans, it strikes me that they aren't enjoying the movie as much as they obsess over the PQ to the point that it must be a complete distraction! Imagine doing that every time you throw on a disc!
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 16th October 2012, 06:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, regarding technical specs and such, a lot of guys like to talk the talk as if such things made them better film fans. Last week I read on a forum that the Australian Blu of Wake In Fright was DNR'ed to death - I have that disc and I always thought it looked fantastic. Not sure what to think now...
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:08 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yeah, regarding technical specs and such, a lot of guys like to talk the talk as if such things made them better film fans. Last week I read on a forum that the Australian Blu of Wake In Fright was DNR'ed to death - I have that disc and I always thought it looked fantastic. Not sure what to think now...
Keep on thinking it looks fantastic. Everything is subjective but, ultimately, it's down to whether you like it or not. There's been a few BDs that everyone said were rubbish and I thought they were great, so I'm glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews and judged for myself.
Gojirosan and Baseball Fury like this.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
I have that disc and love it, so what do I know! Not that I'm beyond influence; I still haven't opened my NOTLD as I'm scared to. Although further reports of people saying the picture is great (and not blue) have somewhat tempted me - I'm sure I'll give it a go.

Thing is, most people don't complain about the picture quality but the darkness. I have the DVD so I'll probably notice a difference, although many suggest although darker, it's not as bad as people claim (or screenshots suggest) and the excellent PQ apparently more than makes up for it.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

If anything Night of the Living Dead proves how much a film can be remastered and restored - who would have thought a low budget, regional Horror film shot (most likely) on scrappy 16mm film stock could look as good as it did on the old Elite DVD edition - the DVD is well over ten years old and it still looks beautiful and luminous...
Rik, PaulD and Criterion7 like this.
Old 16th October 2012, 12:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
If anything Night of the Living Dead proves how much a film can be remastered and restored - who would have thought a low budget, regional Horror film shot (most likely) on scrappy 16mm film stock could look as good as it did on the old Elite DVD edition - the DVD is well over ten years old and it still looks beautiful and luminous...
Yes, but you're talking about the original, Delirium is talking about Savini's remake that came out on Blu recently and had its look drastically altered from the way it was originally.
Old 16th October 2012, 01:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yep, referring to the original film and just talking in general about how well served Horror has been by Home Cinema... I think there will always be imperfect releases and botched oppertunities but we have to take the rough with the smooth I guess...
Old 25th October 2012, 09:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Every time Wake In Fright is brought up on an American forum, they always say this, and I always say "You're missing the point. They saved the last existing print of this from destruction, so it's not going to look perfect."

Someone then pointed out an un-DNR'd screenshot, but I'm pretty sure that was a hd rip of the trailer.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga

Like this? Share it using the links below!