Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2012, 09:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I don't feel any nostalgia for battered old VHS tapes at all.
Said it before, and I'll say it again. "Bloody kids of today. No respect!"

Because of poor quality bootleg video copies, for 20 years, I thought 'Cannibal Holocaust' was a science fiction film that was set on the moon because the picture was a bit on the fuzzy side!
Daemonia, Rik and Criterion7 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th October 2012, 11:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Said it before, and I'll say it again. "Bloody kids of today. No respect!"

Because of poor quality bootleg video copies, for 20 years, I thought 'Cannibal Holocaust' was a science fiction film that was set on the moon because the picture was a bit on the fuzzy side!
When've the whole "Kids don't appreciate VHS" thing comes up, I always feel good, as between my friend and I, we have over 800 VHS's

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 25th October 2012, 11:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Are you sure you weren't tucked up and got a copy of The Best of Space: 1999 instead? It happened to the best of us.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 26th October 2012, 01:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Certain films that i love i do indeed like to see in the best possible way, I recently picked up E.T on blu-ray because much like Spielbergs earlier films, i believe these film were meant to been seen like this. E.T looks and sounds the best it has ever done and he's removed all the silly CG inserts and replaced the walkie talkies with the original shotguns. This disc is the only way to see the original 1982 version now unless you have the VHS or the rare triple disc. That is why i upgrade certain films. But for me as a film fan, DVD has always been the best way to seek out flicks. I have a pretty massive 3000+ films and the quality on some are piss poor but i have a copy of it, I think that WB, MGM and Sony are doing a great thing in the U.S with their ON-DEMAND services as they've got so many great films that to be honest wouldn't sell on a general market but for people like us who collect and seek out films it's ideal. Sure it's a pain in the arse that these companies don't have a U.K based service but to be able to hold a copy, digitally remastered of a film like Dark Of The Sun or No Blade Of Grass is a great feeling as these films would never sell on a general market. Some companies, including Arrow and Shameless are doing great things with classic and cult films and Eureka are turning into one of the best labels in town with their blu releases of films like Silent Runnings. So i don't think people should get so pissy if a film suffers from DNR or the lack of a 5.1 audio track, i think we should all be greatful that these films that we love so much are available at the click of a button or the swiping of a debit card. We should just be content with having these films available in some form.
Old 26th October 2012, 10:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
Sure it's a pain in the arse that these companies don't have a U.K based service but to be able to hold a copy, digitally remastered of a film like Dark Of The Sun or No Blade Of Grass is a great feeling as these films would never sell on a general market.
I was going to get the MOD release of the hugely underrated Dark Of The Sun (The Mercenaries) but then I heard of the Spanish release on a proper disc which I bought.2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen & a great picture with no forced Spanish subs.Sadly like the US release it's still incomplete with obvious cuts for violence.
Review in Spanish though with screencaps.I think the reviewer is unaware though cuts were definitely made to most scenes of violence by the BBFC & the footage is now probably lost.:-
ULTIMO TREN A KATANGA, EL (LE DERNIER TRAIN DU KATANGA) - Chronique/Critique/Review Film & DVD (http://www.devildead.com)
Old 26th October 2012, 10:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
So i don't think people should get so pissy if a film suffers from DNR or the lack of a 5.1 audio track, i think we should all be greatful that these films that we love so much are available at the click of a button or the swiping of a debit card. We should just be content with having these films available in some form.
Well said, this should be the mission statement over at Blu-ray.com, I only observe over there and I rarely see any real discussions, it's always bitching and moaning, and lately Cult-labs bashing!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th October 2012, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Well said, this should be the mission statement over at Blu-ray.com, I only observe over there and I rarely see any real discussions, it's always bitching and moaning, and lately Cult-labs bashing!
There's a thread over there all about and for people who don't buy blu-rays unless they have lossless sound!

Sometimes, they just expect everything to look perfect, no DNR, original cover art and 5.1 lossless or it's a terrible release

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 26th October 2012, 11:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I was going to get the MOD release of the hugely underrated Dark Of The Sun (The Mercenaries) but then I heard of the Spanish release on a proper disc which I bought.2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen & a great picture with no forced Spanish subs.Sadly like the US release it's still incomplete with obvious cuts for violence.
Review in Spanish though with screencaps.I think the reviewer is unaware though cuts were definitely made to most scenes of violence by the BBFC & the footage is now probably lost.:-
ULTIMO TREN A KATANGA, EL (LE DERNIER TRAIN DU KATANGA) - Chronique/Critique/Review Film & DVD (http://www.devildead.com)
I had no idea it had a legit spanish release. I might check that out.

Quote:
i only use Blu-Ray.com to check if a film is region free or to see what the best release is for the least amount of money. I don't give a crap about all the technical specs. I bought Rolling Thunder on blu and it's apparently not a full HD transfer because there were no elements available to do it 1080p but just the fact that it was available on blu-ray was enough for me to buy it. I would have got a DVD if it was only DVD only.
Old 26th October 2012, 11:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I think bluray.com's reviews are always really informative and often check them to make sure the films transfers not an unwatchable mess like Predator. It's just when the screenshot brigade start harping on and on about how a transfer is botched due to crushed blacks, banding, artefacting and arse-squinting that I lose interest.
Old 26th October 2012, 12:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I had no idea about this. I just went over there and did a bit of reading. Some guy said that the people who post here are "performing seals"

I'll read on some more, I've never been in an us against them situation before. Exciting stuff...

Are we fighting with anyone else ?

Like this? Share it using the links below!