Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2012, 12:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I think bluray.com's reviews are always really informative and often check them to make sure the films transfers not an unwatchable mess like Predator. It's just when the screenshot brigade start harping on and on about how a transfer is botched due to crushed blacks, banding, artefacting and arse-squinting that I lose interest.
I'm up on various aspect ratios but apart from that regarding some of the examples above I'm bloody clueless & don't mind admitting it.
Old 26th October 2012, 12:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I'm up on various aspect ratios but apart from that regarding some of the examples above I'm bloody clueless & don't mind admitting it.
I've no shame in admitting that I don't have a Scooby Doo about any of this stuff. I've just read this article on The Curse of Frankenstein and it might as well been in Japanese!

Debating Hammer Aspect Ratios - Hammer
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th October 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
There's a thread over there all about and for people who don't buy blu-rays unless they have lossless sound!

Sometimes, they just expect everything to look perfect, no DNR, original cover art and 5.1 lossless or it's a terrible release
Depends what you mean by perfect. I'd never say something is a teribble release if it didn't have original artwork or DNR (unless it's Predator or the original Patton blu-ray, in which case, they're more than terrible, the word abomination is more appropriate! lol ) I do have an obsession with artwork though, but we all have our little quirks. Or maybe I'm just weird. Oh wait, I just got the German Piranha & Piranha 3DD blu-rays because they had better artwork and naked boobies on the covers. So yes, i AM weird.
Rik likes this.
Old 26th October 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I had no idea about this. I just went over there and did a bit of reading. Some guy said that the people who post here are "performing seals"

I'll read on some more, I've never been in an us against them situation before. Exciting stuff...

Are we fighting with anyone else ?
I was called the worst of the Arrow fanboys over there the other day, who defends Arrow and never has a bad word to say about them. Didn't realize I was. I was quite shocked tbh, since I'm very vocal at my displeasure of some of Arrow's choices (the Don't Go In The House reverse artwork comes to mind).
Old 26th October 2012, 12:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I was called the worst of the Arrow fanboys over there the other day, who defends Arrow and never has a bad word to say about them. Didn't realize I was. I was quite shocked tbh, since I'm very vocal at my displeasure of some of Arrow's choices (the Don't Go In The House reverse artwork comes to mind).
Yeah, you never stop complaining!
Daemonia likes this.
Old 26th October 2012, 12:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I saw that, but I think you're forgetting the "fact" you get paid to be a mod here ha ha. For some reason they think that just because we're members here and support most of the stuff released by Arrow and Shameless, we're fanboys! That doesn't mean we don't criticize some of their releases, look at all the negative stuff said about the Amsterdamned artwork as an example
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th October 2012, 01:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Fanboy? Moi? Nah. The Blu-ray folks on the other hand....well....we all know I got suspended from there for a fairly innocuous posting. I occasionally post there, but I find it far more cliquey and hostile over there than I have on any other forum. Ever. And I've been around a loooong time. I was watching films before half of those Blu-ray folks were born, so don't try and say I don't know anything about films.

Right, now I must buy all the Arrow films - for at least double the recommended price. Because, y'know, I'm an Arrow fanboy...
antmumford likes this.
Old 26th October 2012, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I check out blu-ray.com sometimes and havent seen the Arrow backlash but maybe I'm not in the right threads.

I do know they have a 146 page and going thread on Scream Factory and we cant even get mine stickied on here....
Old 5th November 2012, 11:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
Mentioned over in the purchase thread that I felt horror fans were becoming pampered and expected all the dvds to now be high-def quality and whined when they weren't.

A good and valid point was brought up that said if its out there than its not unreasonable to expect it. Which I can definitely see.

However when I grew up watching horror and managed to find the old bootlegs and the vhs i'd watched over and over again not once did I think if only I could see the zombies clearer or this film I love would be so much better in high def.

I still don't. I'll pick up blu rays(I have quite a few) when they are cheap or have superior extras but for my horror I'm not looking for pristine.

I like my Mill Creek comps with the VHS quality horror. It takes me back to a simpler time in my horror fandom.

Just wondering if anyone else feels that its gone too far and that the old quality still has a place ?
I think I've mentioned this when it came up on that other thread before, my feelings ares similar to yours.

Blu-ray, HD quality is something new for me, I have gone a bit mad with it though. My blu-ray collection has built up over the year, mainly when things are cheap. But I've always been reluctant to move on to new technology, this has been a relatively fast move for me. If it is cheap enough I'll buy the blu-ray otherwise I tend to just replace my favourites on blu-ray I will still purchase DVDs. My blu-ray player (well one of them) is excellent at upscaling though.

and if I really wanted a clear picture I would dig out my glasses.

I am attracted to shiny, pretty covers though.
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 5th November 2012, 11:35 PM
Cultist

One thing that's sort of becoming a "make or break" thing for me these days is extras. Right now I own a good many of my favorite films on dvd. So unless the film is one of those very special films that truly benefits from the bd format, To Catch A Thief, The Godfather, etc, I really don't feel the need to upgrade, unless of course there's some new extras. Perfect case in point is the Kino bd of Black Sunday. As that release had no new extras, I gave it a pass, but would have gladly sprung for the upcoming Arrow Black Sunday bd with the new Babs interview if it was region free. Another good example is the new Curse of Frankenstein bd, which I plan on getting not for the film, which I already have on dvd, but for the extras.
re.form and Criterion7 like this.

Last edited by Robert W; 6th November 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!