Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:29 AM
Active Cultist

Default Best Horror Films of the 80s Poll

I am interested in figuring out what the consensus is for the best horror flicks of the 1980s is in this forum. And I think this could be a fun project if people are interested.

Here's what would happen if I get enough interest:

- You send in a ballot of your top x (Thinking 50) favorite horror films of the 1980s (using IMDB as the official reference point) by a certain deadline that way we all have enough time to view those films we need to.

- I tally up the votes

- I post the list

- We all enjoy.

Is there any interest here? I really hope there is.

EDIT:

Okay, I've determined the due date: March 10th. That's the last day to send me a list, but I'd prefer if you waited until at least March 1st to PM me your list. Which brings me to another thing, I won't actually count your list unless it's PM'd to me. If you post it here, that's fine but it will only act as recommendations for everybody else.

Remember list sizes allowed is any number between 25 to 100. If you don't think you like 25 horror films from the 80s, I encourage you to watch as many 80s horror flicks as you can between the deadline. That's what I'm doing. Also talk about what you watched in this thread, let's create a dialogue.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 14th January 2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Sounds interesting Justin - I'd certainly be up for this
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:48 PM
Active Cultist

I'll give it a couple more days to see if it gathers any more interest, and if not, well I guess a two person list would be interesting to see if there's any crossover at all.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:54 PM
Cult Master

You can count me in yes sir
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:54 AM
Active Cultist

How do you guys feel about the deadline being in 3 months? The 80s is the decade of horror I'm least familiar with, which is why I wanted to make this a project. I'll need a little time to acquire and watch all the stuff I want.

We can use this thread to review/pimp/discuss the movies we think people should vote for or avoid.
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:16 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sounds good to me (although I hope I don't end up forgetting about it!)

I'm forever stumbling across new '80s horror films, and am always interested in some new recommendations, so this should be an interesting project.

Also, with the proposed three months, I'm tempted to extend my potential list to 100 titles...
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:05 PM
Active Cultist

Sounds good to me, I was thinking that in order to hopefully boost participation list size could be anywhere from 25-100 films. With the scoring going 1st place - 100 points, 2nd place - 99 points, all the way down to 100th place - 1 pt. And if you only turn in 25, your first place still gets 100 points. There's no punishment for a less ambitious list.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Count me in too,but in all honesty,I think i would find it difficult to think of
25+ movies,even though i love that decade and the horror movies it spawned.Could be interesting.
Old 6th January 2013, 04:12 AM
Active Cultist

Some obvious movies I'm going to probably vote for:

The Shining - This is probably going to be my #1. It's my second favorite horror film of all-time, so it's going to take a bonafide masterpiece that I've slept on to knock it off its perch.

The Fly - I watched this not too long ago for about the 4th time, and it's gotten even better each time. Jeff Goldblum gave his best performance here.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - I'm interested to see where the others will vote for this at. It's one of the films that has caused me to feel genuinely uneasy while watching. The home invasion scene is maybe the scariest film scene of all-time.

Re-Animator - Horror films don't have to be serious to be thrilling.

The Thing - duh.

Day of the Dead - I'm in the minority here, but I like this more than Dawn.

Hellraiser - I finally saw this last October, and even though the first half did seem to drag, it was all made up for with a brilliant second half.

Possession - Maybe the most bizarre of all my choices thus far. Andrzej Zulawski isn't the director with the most name recognition, but more people should know about him if only for this gem.

Gremlins/The 'Burbs - Two Joe Dante films that should be somewhere in the middle of the final list hopefully.

The Fog - When you are in between Halloween and The Thing, it might be hard to be recognized. But y'all need to recognize. The Fog is a fun movie.

My Bloody Valentine - Not the perfect movie, but it fits right in with the 80s slasher phenomenon. I had a lot of fun watching it too, so that helps it out.
Old 6th January 2013, 07:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm in too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!