Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2012, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
The Sinking of Japan - impressive SF disaster flick about Japan being sucked below the Pacific tectonic plate. Much better than Hollywood eco-disaster efforts, with more human warmth and genuine tension throughout. Sullied, however by THE most awful, mawkish, pop ballad which appears a couple of times during the film. Otherwise, great stuff.

Shark Attack 3 - Megalodon - well, I am not sure what to say about this. It's cheap, badly acted, has extremely clunky use of stock footage (in one scene the shark changes species about three times as it approaches a boat) and has no technical skill to redeem it. But on the other hand, it's funny, the script is knowing and amusing, the story rattles along great, the characters are wonderful and by the end of the film I had thoroughly enjoyed myself and was glad I had purchased the film. So, is it bad? It raises the issue of what is bad, once again. This is inept, yes, but I can't call it bad, because I loved it and never once questioned what I as doing watching it. Excellent entertainment.
if you liked the world sinks except japan, check out executive koala, monster x attacks the g8 summit, calamari wrestler.... director minoru kawasaki is amazing!
Old 14th March 2012, 12:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Car was at the mechanic, so spent the day at my parents' house watching films On Demand: Slaughter with Jim Brown and the delectable Stella Stevens, Enemy Mine Futureworld (Fonda and Blythe Danner) and The Serpent and The Rainbow

Then came home and finished Gestapo's Last Orgy. What a grim film!
Old 14th March 2012, 06:35 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
if you liked the world sinks except japan, check out executive koala, monster x attacks the g8 summit, calamari wrestler.... director minoru kawasaki is amazing!

it was sinking of japan wasn't it. Deary me my brains still scrambled from the weekend, sorry!

Still those reccomendations stand.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 14th March 2012, 06:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Old 14th March 2012, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Awakening(Charlton Heston)
Old 14th March 2012, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Watched Inseminoid last night. At first it did come across as a bit cheesy, but by the last third it got really good, and it has some of the best closing titles I have ever seen. Such a great idea!
Old 14th March 2012, 11:08 AM
Cultist

Stepfather II (1989)

*** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 14th March 2012, 05:17 PM
Active Cultist

Mary - I am not sure anyone does existential angst and intense spiritual crisis as well as Abel Ferrara. This superb drama covers similar ground to Bad Lieutenant (indeed, specifically quotes from it) yet within an entirely different milieu. An amazing cast is headed by Juliette Binoche (who I have never really rated before) and Forest Whitaker (who I rate highly, however, this is the greatest he has ever been). I don't know how Ferrara does what he does to get great actors to give even greater performances, but what he did with Kietel in Bad Lieutenant he does with Whitaker here. Astounding stuff.[/QUOTE]

What is the best version of Mary to get, extras wise and PQ? I've been wanting to see this for years as Ferrara is my favourite director but never got around to getting a dvd copy and missed it's one showing at the GFT.
Old 14th March 2012, 05:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnashsear View Post
What is the best version of Mary to get, extras wise and PQ? I've been wanting to see this for years as Ferrara is my favourite director but never got around to getting a dvd copy and missed it's one showing at the GFT.

I just got the German DVD as it was relatively affordable. No extras, but good quality. Been waiting to see it so long I just bought the one I could afford! Paid around a tenner for it.

Edit: this is the version I got, but I didn't pay that much: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARY-Julie...item5886c7256b

To be honest though, if you like Ferrara, it is an essential purchase at almost any price!
Old 14th March 2012, 05:47 PM
Active Cultist

Cheers, Gojirosan. Will have a look about for a copy. I do like that German cover compared to the Polish release.

Like this? Share it using the links below!