Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2012, 10:27 PM
Cultist

Watched eXistenZ. I've had a soft spot for this film ever since I first saw it at the cinema. Also watched the two carry-on films this afternoon. Sid James looked a bit like Rowley Birkin from the fast show in Carry on again Doctor.
Old 26th March 2012, 09:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Love Rapid Fire. The added bonus is the awesome Powers Boothe.
Also terrific in Deadwood,Philp Marlowe-Private Eye & Southern Comfort.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

With having no computer I've started to catch up on some of the stuff I haven't watched:

976-EVIL 2 - Not seen the first but I found this to be rather enjoyable with a great sequnce involving IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. UK DVD looks really good, too.

THE HANGOVER - Avoided this for ages because everyone kept going on about it but decided to give it a watch and thought it was pretty funny, though not as much as eveyone made it out to be.

LEY LINES - Slow and restrined effort from Takashi Miike about three half Japanese/chinese boys who feel alienated from society and want to leave Japan. Pretty good.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th March 2012, 11:22 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Raging Sharks - a wonderfully poor and utterly ridiculous shark-themed SF effort featuring such luminaries as Vanessa Angel and Corbin Bernsen. Actually very entertaining - loads of stock footage, a LOT of "borrowing" from Alien and others, and the most preposterous, jaw-dropping, "did that really just happen" ending I have seen in years. This is a masterpiece of absurdity!

The Machine Girl - hilarious, violent, gory and very Japanese. I adored it. I adored it so much that having watched my brand new DVD for the first time, I then went and bought a Blu-ray of it! Great film if your mind works even slightly like mine does...and if it doesn't, how come you're on this forum?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
SNOWTOWN. Utterly grim and depressing film based on the crimes of serial killer John Bunting. A difficult film to watch due to subject matter and the unrelenting atmosphere of menace and despair from start to finish. Imagine "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" crossed with "Kes" and you're half way there. Essential viewing, a classic in waiting and highly recommended.
Mate watched this at weekend on blu, and was prone to pronouncing twas the "best acting he'd seen in years" (not a novice either), which was nice.

Watched All Night Long (Katsuya Matasumura, 1992)
Odd film about a disparate group bonded by witnessing a brutal event. the main theme seemed to be "be careful what you wish for", some nastiness is mandatory in these Cat III films, and there is enough here. Would probably buy a box of all 3?? awa to check that out. Trailer

Straight Jacket (William Castle, 1964) another Psycho ripoff (well Bloch DID write it)?? Not quite, this rather well crafted "jump scare" film certainly has a horrific heart, centered round the fiction that Joan Crawford is a hot piece of ass. Hatched faced doesn't enter into it....
Ahem.
Featuring some iconic imagery, (and a great performance from the rather fetching Diane Baker) this rattles along at a fair enough pace with some inspired use of the B&W format imo.

The Ghost Ship (Mark Robson, 1943) yep, the Val Lewton one. Can i just say that the print on this was dire? so much so that i could only watch half of it. Erse! Just as it was hotting up as well. Will be looking for a replacement asap!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 27th March 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

We had the Fantasy Filmfest Nights here this passed wekend and I watched 3 films:

Livid - nice atmospheric film with lots of references to the films we all love (and Arrow released ), good acting, but a rather twisted way of telling the plot making room for plenty loopholes and the end outright sucks. But the atmosphere wins and I give it 7/10.

The Theater Bizarre - episode film, with a weird frame piece that connects each film. Despite a very good Udo Kier in it, I could not make much of it. The 6 short films, each by a different director (please check all the names on the imdb if you are interested) are mostly really good, although I found 2 of them rather mediochre (Sweets and The Accident). Tom Savini has a nice film in it playing with dreams and reality (Wet Dreams) and my favourite part comes from my most dreaded director, who made the worst film I ever had to see: Subconcious Cruelty (Karim Hussain) - but his Vision Stain was an excellent variation of vampirism, at least the way I saw it - and it worked well.

Rec3 - highly anticipated by me and fully enjoyed all the way - a real treat for fans 10/10.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
Rec3 - highly anticipated by me and fully enjoyed all the way - a real treat for fans 10/10.
I'm a big fan of the first two REC films, so it's good to hear the third one doesn't disappoint. I hope it has a decent theatrical release so I can watch it on a big screen at Cineworld.
Old 26th March 2012, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I still haven't watched [REC]2! I should get on it!
Old 26th March 2012, 02:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I watched This Island Earth for the first time last night.

Found it very disappointing. The iconic alien had less than thirty seconds screen time. I don't know why they bothered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg this_island_earth_no_title1-600x340.jpg (20.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th March 2012, 04:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I watched This Island Earth for the first time last night.

Found it very disappointing. The iconic alien had less than thirty seconds screen time. I don't know why they bothered.
That's a shame.Along with The Incredible Shrinking Man,I Married A Monster From Outer Space & This Island Earth it's one of my favourite sci-fi films of the 50s.

Like this? Share it using the links below!