Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012, 06:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Survival of the Dead: had this languishing on my shelf for such a long time and finally took the plunge. It's pretty bad. Romero attempts at doing a zombie film (interestingly his first which is a direct sequel, of sorts, to a previous film) borrowing from the western genre which sounds kinda cool, the problem being it's so poorly written and utterly dull it just amounts to a waste of time. The idea behind it is pretty interesting and some of the western-inspired shots are nice but it never escapes from the poorly underwritten script or cheap visual effects; the cgi is beyond dismal and the practical zombie effects make it genuinely hard at times to distinguish the living from the dead. I watched it twice over two nights, the second time with the commentary on to see what Romero actually thought of it and was shocked to be listening to a commentary track full of self-satisfied guffawing at the cgi gags as if they're something to be proud of and the revelations of a former master of the genre thinking this is genuinely good work he's still doing.
Despite your complaints, i do think Survival and Diary are better than any other zombie film from the last ten years. (Excluding Dead Snow which is an all time classic.)

Many of the more famous ones such as Zombie Diaries are far worse.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Cultist in Training

Frankenhooker:
The creator of low budget cult shocker ‘Basket Case’ (1982) conjures up a demented re-imagining of the classic ‘Frankenstein’ tale. That features a whole host of ludicrous ideas, like: death by lawnmower, explosive crack and enough fake limb flying scenes to satisfy any exploitation fan.

When crazed scientist Jeffrey Franken's fiancé is accidentally killed by a super-remote controlled lawnmower - that he created - he becomes obsessed we bringing her back to life. Keeping her head and a few stray body parts, in his purple collagen laced liquid solution, Jeffery becomes convinced that he can return her to life...now all he needs is some spare body parts.

In search of those parts, Jeffrey makes his way to the seedy sex district of New York. Where he acquires a plethora of skanky hookers, from the muscle-bound pimp Zorro. Later, at a wild party, Jeffrey gives the girls his special concoction of 'super-crack', which has the adverse effect of making them explode into the parts he desperately needs to bring his love back to life...Yes that’s the plot; your eyes are not deceiving you.

Similar in style to director Henenlotter's previous entries in no budget film-making, this mad as a box of spiders interpretation of Mary Shelly's classic tale of re-animating the dead, features a host of bizarre, downright demented scenes. From the aforementioned sight of hooker pieces flying through the air, to a man being knocked out by a decapitated head and the final body swapping, sex change finale. This no taste shocker is both entertaining and terrible in equal measure.

The enjoyment one gets from all this, is how willing one is to embrace the bad effects, acting and dialogue, and instead wallow in the sheer madness of this sluts and bolts black comedy horror. While 'Frankenhooker' is certainly not a good movie, it's most defiantly an enjoyably bad one. If you’re a fan of violent, low-budget horror cinema, then maybe this might just be for you.

On the other hand, if you're one of those refined film watchers that demand fine acting, seamless special effects and a coherent story...well then f**k off to 'Gladiator'. 'Cause what the hell are you reading a review entitled 'Frankenhooker' for anyway?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenhooker 1990 art poster.jpg (12.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th November 2012, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Despite your complaints, i do think Survival and Diary are better than any other zombie film from the last ten years. (Excluding Dead Snow which is an all time classic.)

Many of the more famous ones such as Zombie Diaries are far worse.

Hmm...Survival of the Dead felt to me like nothing more than a slightly slicker straight-to-dvd film (which it effectively was I guess) but I just don't think that's good enough. It's true that there's been an over-saturation of zombie films over the last ten years due to them being in vogue again which means there's going to be loads of poor films to wade through but it doesn't make Romero's last two films any better for me (and I really enjoyed Land of the Dead incidentally)

Dead Snow is definitely one of the standout films of that genre of recent years though; I agree with that completely
Old 26th November 2012, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Hmm...Survival of the Dead felt to me like nothing more than a slightly slicker straight-to-dvd film (which it effectively was I guess) but I just don't think that's good enough. It's true that there's been an over-saturation of zombie films over the last ten years due to them being in vogue again which means there's going to be loads of poor films to wade through but it doesn't make Romero's last two films any better for me (and I really enjoyed Land of the Dead incidentally)

Dead Snow is definitely one of the standout films of that genre of recent years though; I agree with that completely
Due to Diary of the Dead flopping at the box office, i suppose Romero could only get minimum funding and a straight to dvd release.

Diary grossed $5.3 million dollars worldwide and under a million of this was taken in the US.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:28 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Wasn't the book written by Anthony Burgess when he had recuperated after being attacked at home, with the Frank Alexander (Patrick Magee) character based on him? I read the book represents his belief that people aren't inherently bad and can be rehabilitated.
I have been led to believe that is certainly semi-autobiographical

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th November 2012, 07:49 PM
Cult Master

This afty, I watched 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End'

It's not a phrase I use often, but all I can say is WTF?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th November 2012, 08:19 PM
Cult Master

download.jpg

It amazes me that something made over 80 years ago is funnier than 99% of comedies made now. Timeless classics
Old 26th November 2012, 08:29 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Due to Diary of the Dead flopping at the box office, i suppose Romero could only get minimum funding and a straight to dvd release.

Diary grossed $5.3 million dollars worldwide and under a million of this was taken in the US.
Yeah but he's done so much better in the past with so much less
Old 26th November 2012, 10:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I actualy quite like The Last Shark. Better than Mattei's Cruel Jaws (Which lift's footage from TLS).
DVD Rulers released a home made Blu Ray of this, which was apparently quite good, but I think they've gone under, pirating being illegal and all.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 26th November 2012, 10:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evbear View Post
Frankenhooker:
The creator of low budget cult shocker ‘Basket Case’ (1982) conjures up a demented re-imagining of the classic ‘Frankenstein’ tale. That features a whole host of ludicrous ideas, like: death by lawnmower, explosive crack and enough fake limb flying scenes to satisfy any exploitation fan.

When crazed scientist Jeffrey Franken's fiancé is accidentally killed by a super-remote controlled lawnmower - that he created - he becomes obsessed we bringing her back to life. Keeping her head and a few stray body parts, in his purple collagen laced liquid solution, Jeffery becomes convinced that he can return her to life...now all he needs is some spare body parts.

In search of those parts, Jeffrey makes his way to the seedy sex district of New York. Where he acquires a plethora of skanky hookers, from the muscle-bound pimp Zorro. Later, at a wild party, Jeffrey gives the girls his special concoction of 'super-crack', which has the adverse effect of making them explode into the parts he desperately needs to bring his love back to life...Yes that’s the plot; your eyes are not deceiving you.

Similar in style to director Henenlotter's previous entries in no budget film-making, this mad as a box of spiders interpretation of Mary Shelly's classic tale of re-animating the dead, features a host of bizarre, downright demented scenes. From the aforementioned sight of hooker pieces flying through the air, to a man being knocked out by a decapitated head and the final body swapping, sex change finale. This no taste shocker is both entertaining and terrible in equal measure.

The enjoyment one gets from all this, is how willing one is to embrace the bad effects, acting and dialogue, and instead wallow in the sheer madness of this sluts and bolts black comedy horror. While 'Frankenhooker' is certainly not a good movie, it's most defiantly an enjoyably bad one. If you’re a fan of violent, low-budget horror cinema, then maybe this might just be for you.

On the other hand, if you're one of those refined film watchers that demand fine acting, seamless special effects and a coherent story...well then f**k off to 'Gladiator'. 'Cause what the hell are you reading a review entitled 'Frankenhooker' for anyway?!
Hey I like Gladiator!

Like this? Share it using the links below!