Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2012, 08:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Demons - I just got home from seeing the Lamberto Bava fave on the big screen. A top experience.

What seeing it in this way brought home was just how well made it is - especially the camerawork and editing - and just how good the special effects are, especially considering when it was made. I also realised for the first time (despite having seen it more times than I can recall) just how much of it is played for laughs. So much that I think it could qualify as a "comedy horror".

The print is a nice one, but - yet again - why are films remastered for HD so often so pale? Are modern telecine engineers terrified of vibrancy and saturation? Demons now looks very cold, and whilst this renders extremely natural looking skin colour and texture, it does not suit the film. All those wonderful garish colours we are used to from the days of VHS and DVD are muted and a bit flat. It was my only issue with the new master, but I think it's a pretty big issue.

I'd be interested in seeing an actual film print from the time to compare. I can dream!

In the same screen last night I saw a double bill of An American Werewolf In London and The Thing, which were also wonderful to see up on the big canvas.
Did you notice changes in the audio on Demons? Mainly different music cues and some altered lines of dialouge.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

EIGHTH HAPPINESS
VIGILANTE
COCAINE WARS
Old 18th April 2012, 11:16 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Did you notice changes in the audio on Demons? Mainly different music cues and some altered lines of dialouge.
A couple of times. But I wasn't sure if my memory was betraying me. There was a whole scene in a hidden room that I had hardly any recollection of at all, so the odd errant bit of script could easily have been my brain's doing!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well, as im just back from MY Demoni sojourn, can i just say how fricking LOUD i thought it was, only 20 in the audience BUT AT LEAST THEY WERE QUIET ahem. the Belmont are also showing The Thing in May, so methinks i'l be going to that as well.

bought Adam Chaplin from the-shop-with-the-dog (i know, i know) as twas only £5, the trailer impressed me that much.

Back to Lamberto's flick, twas a great delight to see all that groo on the big(gish) screen, but still i felt that the soundtrack would have improved if it had ALL been Simonetti's score......i just hate 80s metal sue me.

recommended!!
Gojirosan likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2012, 01:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
A couple of times. But I wasn't sure if my memory was betraying me. There was a whole scene in a hidden room that I had hardly any recollection of at all, so the odd errant bit of script could easily have been my brain's doing!
Nah its definately changed. Theres bits in the movie (including a shot of writing appearing on the cinema screen) thats either only appeared in the big box rental release or not in any version i've seen and bits of dialouge are definately different.

The most noticable was when the street punks are surrounded by demons in the cinema, the line 'maybe their after the cocaine' has gone and been replaced. It's no biggie but i am interested to find out where arrow got the print.
Old 18th April 2012, 05:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Nah its definately changed. Theres bits in the movie (including a shot of writing appearing on the cinema screen)
Yeah, that caption was new to me - it was just Italian for "End Of Part 1". It's where the intermission would have been when originally screened in the cinemas in Italy.

And, yes, the metal on the soundtrack is awful. I can't say I think the score is Simonetti's best work to begin with, but to then compound it with all that awful crap by Accept and Motley Crue and such was just cruel to the audience!
Old 18th April 2012, 06:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i watched the divide last night, such a great film, some scenes were popping into my mind all day today!
Old 18th April 2012, 06:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
i watched the divide last night, such a great film, some scenes were popping into my mind all day today!
Hi Kyle, welcome back.

Hope your stay is for the long term.
Kyle likes this.
Old 18th April 2012, 06:37 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Well, as im just back from MY Demoni sojourn, can i just say how fricking LOUD i thought it was, only 20 in the audience BUT AT LEAST THEY WERE QUIET ahem. the Belmont are also showing The Thing in May, so methinks i'l be going to that as well.

bought Adam Chaplin from the-shop-with-the-dog (i know, i know) as twas only £5, the trailer impressed me that much.

Back to Lamberto's flick, twas a great delight to see all that groo on the big(gish) screen, but still i felt that the soundtrack would have improved if it had ALL been Simonetti's score......i just hate 80s metal sue me.

recommended!!
I agree with you about the soundtrack, yeah if only it was by Simonetti....
heavy metal is shit
Old 18th April 2012, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
PETER, PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER
Pete.....is there something you want to tell us?

(I always could tell he was dodgy from the pics I've seen of him)

Like this? Share it using the links below!