Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2014, 10:00 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Demented Death Farm Massacre (1971)

Fred Olen Ray and Troma present Demented Death Farm Massacre (AKA: Honey Britches) a tale of two jewel thieves on the run from the law with their dizzy arm candy, whose car runs out of juice in hick country Colorado. The quartet are then forced to make tracks on foot whereby they stumble across a cabin inhabited by bible bashing moonshiner hick Harlan and his sexy, naive young wife who he was 'given' to settle a debt.

Cue plenty of female flesh and personality clashes as the thieves stop over with the hicks until the heat has blown off. More of a hicksploitation number than a high body count 'Death Massacre' as the title suggests, the film is more reliant on its silly scenarios and set pieces relating to the cultural differences between the cruel, sleazy jewel thieves and the bumbling hicks to fill out the run time. The blood only starts to flow (well, trickle) in the last act when the tables are turned slightly and the oppressed hicks seize their moment.

Troma's contribution to the film was to splice in David Carradine as a grizzled narrator, who at various intervals throughout the film spouts throwaway Bible verse, as if to bring some sort of logic, reasoning and sense of divine justice to the story... in fact it just adds to the overall amusement of the on screen shenanigans.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 03:31 PM
Active Cultist

I recommend The Strange Love of Martha Ivers which features 4 great performances - Up front, Van Heflin (why is this guy not better known?) and Barbara Stanwyk at her most iconic supported by a solid midfield of then unknown Kirk Douglas (great atypical pissed performance with a default dopey grin) and Lizbeth Scott (hot). Manager - Oscar winner Lewis Milestone. Opening twenty minutes is high gothic brilliance - all thunderstorms, candles, old mansion etc which introduces that old chestnut the diabolical shared secret coming back to wreak destruction in the present.The kids do a great job of suggesting the characters to come. Maybe a bit overlong at nearly two hours but this is classy, enjoyable stuff. I thought the blu ray looked great despite a crap review in Blu-ray.com
Old 20th September 2014, 03:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I recommend The Strange Love of Martha Ivers which features 4 great performances - Up front, Van Heflin (why is this guy not better known?) and Barbara Stanwyk at her most iconic supported by a solid midfield of then unknown Kirk Douglas (great atypical pissed performance with a default dopey grin) and Lizbeth Scott (hot). Manager - Oscar winner Lewis Milestone. Opening twenty minutes is high gothic brilliance - all thunderstorms, candles, old mansion etc which introduces that old chestnut the diabolical shared secret coming back to wreak destruction in the present.The kids do a great job of suggesting the characters to come. Maybe a bit overlong at nearly two hours but this is classy, enjoyable stuff. I thought the blu ray looked great despite a crap review in Blu-ray.com
Seconded. A selection of great performances and an enjoyable little film. I bought the Blu-ray earlier on this year but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
Old 20th September 2014, 03:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Continuing with the Italian directors theme:

Tinto Brass: Cosi Fan Tutte (All Ladies Do It) (1992) Your typical Tinto Brass really, bare arses everywhere.....and a need for a razor or two!

Umberto Lenzi: Cannibal Ferox (1981) Next to 'Cannibal Holocaust' arguably the most infamous 'Cannibal' film ever made, not bad but TBH cannibal movies aint my thing.

Anyway thats it for the Italian directors week. Now onto films that have a 'My Little Pony' connection....................................not really!
Old 20th September 2014, 05:13 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Continuing with the Italian directors theme:

Tinto Brass: Cosi Fan Tutte (All Ladies Do It) (1992) Your typical Tinto Brass really, bare arses everywhere.....and a need for a razor or two!

Umberto Lenzi: Cannibal Ferox (1981) Next to 'Cannibal Holocaust' arguably the most infamous 'Cannibal' film ever made, not bad but TBH cannibal movies aint my thing.

Anyway thats it for the Italian directors week. Now onto films that have a 'My Little Pony' connection....................................not really!
2 key points about Cannibal Ferox - that soundtrack, for me, is incredible, branded onto my brain, also the best audio commentary (OK tied with Jo Bob Briggs on I Spit on Your Grave) out there - if it's the Grindhouse DVD you have don't miss it.
Old 20th September 2014, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Without warning

We have a group of young people ( one a young David Caruso )setting of on a camping trip . Not soon after arriving two of them are killed, No Inbred hillbilly or hockey mask wearing killer here, we have a alien hunter who uses what can only be described as throwing stars(fish) to kill it's prey. Most of the kills take place of screen and it's not partially gory but it's injoyable and has great cast which includes Jack Palance, Cameron Mitchell, Ralph Meeker and Martin Landau as a bat shit crazy war vet. 8/10

Now watching lady terminator, which is a terminator rip off with a supernatural twist.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 20th September 2014, 09:13 PM
Cult Addict

ENDER'S GAME. Excellent pro war mix up of HARRY POTTER and STARSHIP TROOPERS aimed at a preteen market. There can't be many kids films out there that have such psychopathic intent in their main character nor ones that commit genocide! One of the most interesting blockbusters I've seen in years.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 21st September 2014, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Demon Lover (1977)

The Demon Lover (AKA: Demon Master) is a surprisingly fun little entry into the satanic horror sub-genre.

The film centres around a group of impressionable teens who are members of a satanic cult headed by high priest Laval Blessing. One night whilst parting and drinking at Laval's 'castle' the group confronts Laval about his practices as leader, which ends up with them all walking out on him. However, you should never defy a high priest in a pact with Satan and who also has psycho-kinetic powers. Laval in a rage at his followers' abandonment conjures up a demon and uses his dark magical influence to insight his revenge.

The kills come thick and fast, and there was enough violent bloody kills, possession and manifestation effects along with plenty of cult iconography and chanting to keep me entertained throughout. A deep piercing electro score adds to the events nicely and the short running time means that the film never overstays its welcome.

Cheesy and a little OTT it may be, but The Demon Lover is also a hell of a lot of fun.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Edge of tomorrow

Wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed this, basically it's Groundhog Day meets gears of war/ alien invasion movie. Had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. 8.5/10

Lady terminator

The films starts in the past with the south sea queen who kills all the men she mates with, she is defeated by one of her intended victims but not before she tells him that his great granddaughter shall be cursed.

Jump forward a hundred years and a young anthroplogist's is possessed by the south seas queen. It's at this point the film becomes a blatant rip off of terminator many scenes are nearly identical, the storming of the police station and the removal of the terminators eye. While the terminator was a machine here the lady terminator is supernatural and is nearly indestructible and has the ability to shoot lighting from her eyes and tits. We have a gung yo ending that has a tank and rocket firing helicopter. As I said before it is a rip off of terminator but it's just so much OTT fun you forgive the film makers. It had me grinning from ear to ear from beginning to end. 9.5/10

Now watching faceless which is another first viewing

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st September 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 21st September 2014, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lynch Mob (2010)

The FBI release a paedophile into witness protection in return for info on bringing down a notorious mob boss. Unfortunately for all involved they move him to the rural town of Lynchburg, Georgia. A small community with a terrible secret - a centuries old curse that turned the inhabitants into flesh eating cannibals.

Lynch Mob is a film that takes in a lot of genres and in places does have a Soprano's feel to it, along with some strong brutality, gratuitous nudity, a child molester as a twisted anti-hero, topped off with the living dead, and combines it all into a brilliantly entertaining piece of low budget cinema. A fine script, which is extremely witty in places, and well written characters ensure you are drawn into things from the first minute and the tightness and pacing keeps you involved throughout.

I've seen a few low budget gems recently but i can honestly say none have been as thoroughly entertaining as this.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51E01ZL8mRL.jpg (42.4 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!