Old 28th November 2014, 04:37 PM
Active Cultist

Late Phases, 2014. 8/10
Nick Damici is so awesome.

Old 28th November 2014, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Nightcrawler (2014)

Overall, not the masterpiece I was expecting and certainly a notch down from The Babadook which I saw only last week but it certainly packs a mighty punch and stunned me in both its content, dialogue and execution in quite a few individual scenes. Phenomenal acting by Gyllenhaal and strong performances throughout the cast as well.

8/10.
Old 28th November 2014, 05:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Superman vs the elite

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417193944.649160.jpg

Very poor has to be the worst animated DC movie I have seen in sometime. Its problems are many it's bizarre animation style, especially superman who looks weird at times, unlikeable characters a poor story ( which had potential but was executed very poorly)and the dreadful portrayal of England, that is insulting. Add to that the corny and childish dialogue. It's a 4/10

You really get the feeling watching this that DC think that England has not changed since the late 1800s. As I said before it's just insulting of how they think england looks and the portrayal it's people. Edit I did enjoy the ending when you think superman has lost it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194305.426249.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194315.585131.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194323.143888.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194334.376383.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194345.628232.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194364.246351.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194354.255105.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194378.259490.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417194388.769074.jpg

Last edited by trebor8273; 28th November 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 28th November 2014, 06:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw Interstellar a couple of weeks ago and was engrossed from first minute to last, with my brain occasionally playing catch up and trying to figure out what was actually taken place. That's not a bad thing because I sometimes like to be challenged by films, made to think, ponder the bigger picture and exercise the grey matter.

I agree about the score and cinematography, which are both brilliant, but I had no problem with the length as it never felt long – always the sign of a good film. Guardians of the Galaxy is certainly a great deal more fun, and I think I'll need to see Interstellar a couple more times to make a proper judgement on where it stands amongst Christopher Nolan's other films but, at the moment, it is one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year and the only one which has made me cry! (It's the first since WALL-E to have that effect on me as well.)

Both Guardians of the Galaxy and Interstellar will be in my collection at some point, but I've spent so much on Criterion Collection BDs at Barnes and Noble and recently in the Black Friday sales that the former will have to wait, probably until January.
To be honest I had no problems following Interstellar. Just thought it got rather silly and lost its way a little. I guess that's what edged GOG ahead for me, consistancy.

Certainly i'm glad I went to see nightcrawler before interstellar, the superior film so far this winter season (though i'm holding out for foxcatcher)
Old 28th November 2014, 06:32 PM
Active Cultist

On the Beach - not exactly a film to get the party started - 2+ hours of folk getting ready to die from radioactive poisoning - imagine the closing scenes of Titanic spread over a whole city and a whole movie. Relentlessly soundtracked by Waltzing bloody Matilda. What amazed me was the optimistic view of humanity (apart from the dropping the bomb bit, obviously). Folk play together in those last days, form orderly queues for suicide pills - accepting a bum deal with stoicism and courage. Imagine a remake today, it would be an all raping all pillaging CGI epic. A rewarding film but not an enjoyable one.

Rio Bravo - Maybe it's a symptom of getting old, but I'm really loving The Duke these days - an actor I've ignored for my first 40 years. Check him in this film - likeable, hard assed, a knowing smirk on his face throughout - anything but the wooden caricature I took him for. I love this film, I love it's breezy attitude - serious but totally laid back (the Dean Martin/Ricky Nelson singing scene), funny (Ole Stumpy!), exciting (the dynamite shooting climax) but with tragic moments. And Angie Dickenson in stockings at the end - wow - how stoic is Wayne batting off her advances? No wonder Carpenter and Tarantino adore this film.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence - Old West - Wayne at his most iconic and a gaggle of hammed up eccentrics (looking at you Edmund O'Brien) - is displaced by New West - Jimmy Stewart doing his lawyery Jimmy Stewart thing. The film is class but makes you yearn for a vintage, book free, shoot em up Western,. The 'cliched' characters, hapless sheriff, drunk doctor et al, seem real while the contemporary ones feel insubstantial - this, I think, is Ford's point - something great (even if it seems naive now) has been lost forever. An elegiac, brilliant movie.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle - Here's a stroke of utter genius - casting an icon of 40s Noir - Out of the Past for Gods sake - as a complete loser, a bottom feeder of the Boston (not even NY) underworld. We watch dazed as Eddie Coyle (note - not Robert Mitchum - this is the greatest example of ego free underplaying you'll ever see) enters an inexorable downward spiral. Can you spoiler this movie? Suffice to say the ending is inevitable and will inevitably haunt you. Essential viewing.

Dazed and Confused - With these teen nostalgia movies I often think you have to have been there. Gregory's Girl, for example, with its awkwardness, plooks and new town horrors, speaks to me whereas D&C obviously does the job for 50 something Americans. I found it intermittently engaging but it failed to move me and for large spells I actively hated everyone on screen (bar the philosophical stoners). Objectively speaking, as a piece of art, its OK, nothing special - what song do you think plays when the kids are let OUT of the SCHOOL for the last time - I rest my case.

Klute - I sat through this jazzy riff of a neo-noir waiting to feel something - tension, empathy, excitement - anything - but my pleasures ended up as theoretical observations - Fonda's great, the atmosphere is palpable, cool last 10 minutes - but in all honesty, for me, this shares the flaws of a number of early 70s avant garde wannabes - a whiff of the emperors new clothes, a grasping for cool, no real substance.

Nightfall - I love Jacques Tourneur and this was his final noir. It's enyoyable , but ,sad to say ,not particularly memorable. I'm struggling to remember it now and I only watched it last week. Aldo Ray (somehow ended up in 2 video nasties and Frankensteins Great Aunt Tillie) gets involved with two hoods, a brutal killing and a missing bag of cash. There's a couple of great scenes involving haywire machinery but just too many plot McGuffins to swallow (the worst? Ray could finish the killers off 20 mins in but chooses to run away like a girl). In case you haven't guessed the Cohen Brothers have definitely seen this film, it's a mash up of Fargo and No Country. Pretty great by usual standards but not for a director responsible for 3 of my top ten movies ever. While I'm at it, where's Night of the Demon on blu, BFI?

Brute Force - Hume Cronyn, as a 'small man' psycho warden, doesn't steal the show here, he is the show. Sir Lancelot, who I loved in I Walked With a Zombie, stinks the joint out as a kind of Carribean Greek Chorus and really took me out the movie (think the old Simpsons gag - 'what are you in for?' 'Atmosphere'). Lancaster isn't given much to do until the latter stages. Honestly? I was disappointed.

Last edited by Handyman Joe; 28th November 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 28th November 2014, 06:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
On the Beach - not exactly a film to get the party started - 2+ hours of folk getting ready to die from radioactive poisoning - imagine the closing scenes of Titanic spread over a whole city and a whole movie. Relentlessly soundtracked by Waltzing bloody Matilda. What amazed me was the optimistic view of humanity (apart from the dropping the bomb bit, obviously). Folk play together in those last days, form orderly queues for suicide pills - accepting a bum deal with stoicism and courage. Imagine a remake today, it would be an all raping all pillaging CGI epic. A rewarding film but not an enjoyable one.
On the beach was remade with Armande assante!

on the beach.jpg

It's actually not bad...
Old 28th November 2014, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Superman/batman public enemy's

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209220.221959.jpg

That's more like it after the disappointing superman vs the elite. We have a none stop action packed story.

After Luthor becomes president he sets up superman for the murder of metallo( John Corbin ) and puts a one billion dollar bounty on his head so everyone who's anyone is out to collect, luckily superman has batman on his side, as they try to stop those collecting the bounty and try to save earth from a huge city sized chunk of kryptonite heading for earth and Luthor who has gone insane because of injecting himself with kryptonite. The action never lets up and we have some great fights. 8.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209846.419271.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209858.106662.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209869.457146.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209877.906575.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209887.133507.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209895.053045.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209904.380519.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209913.164647.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209924.603968.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209932.294499.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209941.788339.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209950.199173.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209959.834481.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209968.534589.jpg

that trailer has put me in the mood for Star Wars so watching Star Wars a new hope
Old 28th November 2014, 09:55 PM
Cult Master

You're Next

Myself and my girlfriend decided to give this ago tonight after having it on the shelf for awhile. I wish I left it there. It started promising but that lasted about 2 minutes and then on in was all down hill. I wanted everyone to die as soon as they started acting. The twist was obvious from the start. The tables always get turn in slashers as we all know when the victim starts to fight back but they are not usually Rambo or John Matrix. So much wrong with this film. Two good kills the rest nothing interesting. Very very poor film.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:21 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

And so continues the streak of me being seemingly the only person who still likes You're Next.
SShaw and PaulD like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 28th November 2014, 10:24 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
And so continues the streak of me being seemingly the only person who still likes You're Next.
I don't think you are alone I picked it up on the strength of some positive taughts on here.

Like this? Share it using the links below!