Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2015, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I think Romero is just so well known for his Zombie films that everything else goes under the radar.
According to the Amerocentric Doc Of The Dead, certainly!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2015, 05:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

AAnyway, watched Unearthly Stranger (John Krish, 1963).
Tense, terse and brittle in the way that only the British can do, this will make an excellent DB with The Night Caller (once I find that bloody disc!!). Very nice looking print as well. Decent shadow contrast etc etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Horror Express (1972)

At the turn of the last century, a professor (Christopher Lee) is transporting his cargo in the form of the prehistoric remains of a creature from China to Moscow aboard the Trans-Siberian Express.

The British-Spanish co-production encapsulates the best of both worlds. Featuring the best of British Gothic horror and the Naschy-esq madness of Spanish monster movies, Horror Express is a classy example of early seventies horror.

The films production values are excellent, the train interiors are lushly sophisticated, and featuring some tasty gory effects, not to mention the cream of classic horror performers in Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Two stalwarts who are almost upstaged by a memorably OTT turn from Telly Savalas as a Cossack army Captain, not to mention the marvellous, scary creature terrorizing all on board. Then there's the tense direction and some genuinely funny lines - Cushing's "Monster? We're British you know" always makes me laugh.

A superior slice of seventies horror, Eugenio Martin's film is essential viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horror-Express.jpg (91.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Totally agree - a fantastic film.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Saboteur (1942)

Hitchcock's first film with an all American cast is a mainly gripping piece about war time paranoia which races through it's first half before falling flat in the third quarter then really upping it's game in a riveting finale atop the Statue of Liberty.

Recommended to those who want to see a precursor to North by Northwest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4693180624_a8af08b7dd_z.jpg (81.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:03 PM
Cult Master

Today i was in the mood to watch some extras on some of my Blu Rays. I watched all the extras on Scream Factory releases of The Burning and From Beyond. There are some great stuff about the make up and effects. Its always great to see all involved in films you love have such fond memories of making the films.

Also watched Living In Darkness the making of Near Dark on the region 1 on Blu Ray. I loved the stories from both Lance Henrikson and Bill Paxton freaking people out while they were in make up and the lenghts Lance went through to really become Jesse Hooker. Well worth a watch if you get the chance.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Bound (Arrow) wow what a film, talk about a tense thriller. 10/10
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Went to see Reece Witherspoon in Wild last night. I am not sure whether I liked it, I think it will require a second viewing before I can make my mind up and say something sensible.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd January 2015, 08:12 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Today i was in the mood to watch some extras on some of my Blu Rays. I watched all the extras on Scream Factory releases of The Burning and From Beyond. There are some great stuff about the make up and effects. Its always great to see all involved in films you love have such fond memories of making the films.

Also watched Living In Darkness the making of Near Dark on the region 1 on Blu Ray. I loved the stories from both Lance Henrikson and Bill Paxton freaking people out while they were in make up and the lenghts Lance went through to really become Jesse Hooker. Well worth a watch if you get the chance.
Just to add yes The Lost Boys was talked about in the Near Dark doc
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd January 2015, 01:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Grand Piano (2013)

Interesting little thriller starring Elijah Wood as a talented pianist. In a packed theatre he finds a message on his music sheets -'Play one wrong note and you die'.

Despite the concert hall being an original setting you can't help feel you've seen this film before. Phone Booth and Liberty Stand Still are two recent ish examples.

John Cusack strolls through proceedings as the anonymous sniper but it was nice to see Bill and Ted's Alex Winter onscreen as his accomplice. Despite throwing us a few Hitchcock traits Grand Piano doesn't come close to the master of suspense's efforts or particularly offer anything new, but it's still an entertaining enough watch even though you quickly realize this isn't the virtuoso performance you were hoping for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grand-piano-spanish-poster.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!