Like Tree179454Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2015, 11:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really like Kill List. I actually re-watched it this evening.

I've never seen The Devil's Business though. I look forward to you review master Dem.
I too really liked Kill List. Although a bit like Eden Lake i feel additional viewings might expose weaknesses.
Old 24th January 2015, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too really liked Kill List. Although a bit like Eden Lake i feel additional viewings might expose weaknesses.
I thought that too until tonight... I actually picked up on some of the subtleties of Wheatley's direction in certain scenes what with knowing how the film will play out.

SPOILER:
an example being when he's playing in the garden with Shel and his son with the foam swords and the scene slo-mos as he stabs her - a forewarning of what is to come...

It's really a rich, multi-layered film when you really start to absorb all the subtle nuances. I actually liked it more on the re-watch.
Old 24th January 2015, 11:56 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Was that part of the recent Arrow sale?
Im not sure i got it shortly after it was released.
Old 25th January 2015, 12:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Im not sure i got it shortly after it was released.
I really need to revisit Ms.45 now. Didn't think much of it the first time I saw it.
Old 25th January 2015, 08:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

RE: King of New york not actually ever seen this yet,and is still one of the arrow titles I am yet to pick up,I usually prioritise the Horror films.

RE: The Devils Business I got & saw this when the DVD was released. I really enjoyed it. It will never win any awards for great acting but it was really good fun & a short running time. The character of Mr Pinner has some I think "unintentionally" amusing dialogue.

In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

Watched this Carpenter last night on Warner Blu.

Excellent pic quality but as is always with them bare bones.

I throughly enjoyed this film although I did start to get slightly confused middle to end with the plot despite having an IQ of 146 my concentration is diabolical due to my Tourettes syndrome. So as great and enjoyable as I found the film I was left perplexed to if the dude was really investigating everything or if he was a fictional element of the book.

Some big names in this one. David warner must have been bloody busy as around this time he was also In Carpenter's other venture Body Bags as well as the lovecraft anthology Necronomicon.

Not Quite Hollywood

Enjoyable doc.

If it is to believed thsat Abigail felt used about constantly stripping in films & number 96 yet loved it,it makes me wonder how she managed to keep her clothes on through 3 seasons of Sons & Daughters as Caroline Morrell. Ironically though when at her best she was a fantastic actress in that show.

John Jarratt aka Mick " you tourist Bastard" Taylor shed some light on his other adventures.

all in all lots of famous Aus faces having a say on the highs and lows of their countrys output & their own work.

Nightmares (1980)

I love all things Aus,but I cannot get this one I watched it a year or so back & posted my findings & as I said them not the best film & watching Sue Jones running through the rain in no clothes having her arse cheek slashed by a shard of glass will only damage my childhood affection for Neighbours Pam Willis her best known role. stick to nursing & sharing coffee with Helen Daniels love! Max Phipps appears as virtually always as does Briony Behets not the formers finest hour with some cringe worthy dialogue, & the latters bad acting skills from prisoner were not exactly proved to be a one of with this one.

Slumber Party Massacre

Picked up The Scream Factory blu as one of the few titles I was missing. An Enjoyable slasher but I didn't like it as much as I had hoped. The short running time of 77 minutes hampered some potential especially as the first 45 of that was mostly crap dialogue with no action. I did however still enjoy it when it was good it was GOOD.

Howling III (Marsupials)

If Carole Skinner wasn't already a scary looking woman with a history of playing psycho's in Australian Soaps Prisoner,Sons & Daughters & Home and away over the years,you could be scared witless in another sense seeing her dancing around dressed as a pubic hair covered cicada. Again despite loving all things Aus all I can say is "strewth what the flying f*** was this dunny dwelling monstrosity" This film has O redeming qualities. I want 89 minutes of my life back please!

Q Winged Serpent

Scream Factory Blu

Enjoyable yet silly Cohen Yarn. Not as great as I had hoped but certainly not bad agaon when it was good it WAS GOOD! However I felt the actor who played the thief main role was annoying.
Old 25th January 2015, 09:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
RE: King of New york not actually ever seen this yet,and is still one of the arrow titles I am yet to pick up,I usually prioritise the Horror films.

RE: The Devils Business I got & saw this when the DVD was released. I really enjoyed it. It will never win any awards for great acting but it was really good fun & a short running time. The character of Mr Pinner has some I think "unintentionally" amusing dialogue.

In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

Watched this Carpenter last night on Warner Blu.

Excellent pic quality but as is always with them bare bones.

I throughly enjoyed this film although I did start to get slightly confused middle to end with the plot despite having an IQ of 146 my concentration is diabolical due to my Tourettes syndrome. So as great and enjoyable as I found the film I was left perplexed to if the dude was really investigating everything or if he was a fictional element of the book.

Some big names in this one. David warner must have been bloody busy as around this time he was also In Carpenter's other venture Body Bags as well as the lovecraft anthology Necronomicon.

Not Quite Hollywood

Enjoyable doc.

If it is to believed thsat Abigail felt used about constantly stripping in films & number 96 yet loved it,it makes me wonder how she managed to keep her clothes on through 3 seasons of Sons & Daughters as Caroline Morrell. Ironically though when at her best she was a fantastic actress in that show.

John Jarratt aka Mick " you tourist Bastard" Taylor shed some light on his other adventures.

all in all lots of famous Aus faces having a say on the highs and lows of their countrys output & their own work.

Nightmares (1980)

I love all things Aus,but I cannot get this one I watched it a year or so back & posted my findings & as I said them not the best film & watching Sue Jones running through the rain in no clothes having her arse cheek slashed by a shard of glass will only damage my childhood affection for Neighbours Pam Willis her best known role. stick to nursing & sharing coffee with Helen Daniels love! Max Phipps appears as virtually always as does Briony Behets not the formers finest hour with some cringe worthy dialogue, & the latters bad acting skills from prisoner were not exactly proved to be a one of with this one.

Slumber Party Massacre

Picked up The Scream Factory blu as one of the few titles I was missing. An Enjoyable slasher but I didn't like it as much as I had hoped. The short running time of 77 minutes hampered some potential especially as the first 45 of that was mostly crap dialogue with no action. I did however still enjoy it when it was good it was GOOD.

Howling III (Marsupials)

If Carole Skinner wasn't already a scary looking woman with a history of playing psycho's in Australian Soaps Prisoner,Sons & Daughters & Home and away over the years,you could be scared witless in another sense seeing her dancing around dressed as a pubic hair covered cicada. Again despite loving all things Aus all I can say is "strewth what the flying f*** was this dunny dwelling monstrosity" This film has O redeming qualities. I want 89 minutes of my life back please!

Q Winged Serpent

Scream Factory Blu

Enjoyable yet silly Cohen Yarn. Not as great as I had hoped but certainly not bad agaon when it was good it WAS GOOD! However I felt the actor who played the thief main role was annoying.
Main actor is Michael Moriarty. I really like him as an actor. In real life he is somewhat "odd". In an interview for Larry Cohen's masters of horror episode pick me up he describes it as a metaphor for the "evils of abortion" and goes on a rant about abortion. While I don't agree one bit with his politics I think he's a great actor. In Q I think he's supposed to come across as something of a loser.
Agree on howling 3. Awful piece of shit.
Old 25th January 2015, 09:26 AM
Cult Addict

Would also add I think the shout factory DVD of slumber party massacre is a better investment. It has 2 sequels as well as an epic documentary.
R-T-C Tim likes this.
Old 25th January 2015, 10:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm just off to watch The Devil's Business.

A film i was given earlier this evening because "It's a bit like that boring Kill List".
Hope you enjoy(ed) it, Dem. It's not flawless, but I remember really digging it at the time.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th January 2015, 11:38 AM
Cult Addict

I must be the only person who enjoyed Howling 3, yes it's shite, but i found the nun and dancing werewolf's strangely entertaining.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th January 2015, 02:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Devil's Business (2011)

At the country house of their target, two hit men lay in wait. However it soon becomes apparent all is not as it should be and they might be the ones about to die.

Hit men and the occult are where the similarities to Ben Wheatley's Kill List start and finish. The Devil's Business is a totally different proposition. Yes there's a lot of talk especially in the first twenty minutes as the senior killer tells his younger partner of a murder at their bosses strip club, however you have to pay attention as it all becomes relevant by the end and isn't just the throw away story it seems at the time.

Despite it being grounded in reality the film has a whiff of otherworldly weirdness to it, the scenes of occult ritual aftermath are grim in the extreme yet come the final scenes this grimness has dissipated and it almost becomes Lovecraftian in it's madness. Thanks to a Tom Baker Doctor Who story i knew what to expect in the final scenes so the gory death of one of the protagonists came as no surprise. I won't go into detail as it may spoil it for anyone who wishes to see the film in future.

The film is well made belying it's limited budget thanks to it's devilishly good storytelling, atmosphere by the bucket load and splashes of influence from elsewhere such as Bava and Dennis Wheatley.

In short the moral of this film is don't send hit men round to MTDS's gaff - it won't end well.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Devils-Business-2011-Movie-3.jpg (50.4 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!