Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2009, 08:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The look on Michael Bates face as he samples his tequila (or 'te-kwee-ah' as Vivian Merchant pronounces it) is priceless. As is Alec McCowen's vain attempt to eat roast quail & grapes.
There's a sequence early on in the film where we see the Police Inspector demolishing a fry up. First time I watched the movie ( not long ago ) I wondered why so much emphasis was put on this scene. Then you see what his wife serves up each night and it becomes clear
The fish head soup looked nice, too
Great film.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:47 PM
Cult Rookie

ive got the Hitchcock collection boxset, the odd special edition versions of the birds and psycho and i also have another Hitchcock collection with 9 classic movies on which are...

Blackmail (1929)
The lady Vanishes (1938)
Rich and Strange (1932)
Sabotage (1936)
Secret Agent (1936)
The 39 Steps (1938)
Number 17 (1932)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
The Lodger (silent) (1926)

this is a classic and great boxset of Hitchcocks early movies and also has lots of rare special features from rare radio appearences from Hitchcock, vintage hitchcock movie trailers and a doc about the man himself.

With Hitchcock bein my fave director it was a must boxset to have and is a must to have for all Hitchcock fans.

Family Plot i thought was a good transfer and a great movie, yep...ive gone through The complete boxsets more than once and loved em all, my fave 3 Hitchcock movies are

Psycho
The Birds
Rope
Old 30th April 2011, 10:22 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I haven't seen many Hitchcock films which I'll surely correct soon but I recently watched Dial M for Murder and thought it was absolutely superb. Real edge of your seat stuff.
Demoncrat likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th May 2011, 03:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

There's a lot of love for Frenzy on this thread, but I find it polarises me.

The rape/murder scenes are incredibly acted, and that tracking show where he take sthe girl into his flat, shuts the door and then the camera backs up, down the stairs and out of the door - stunning stuff.

But the thing that forever drops it down into the middle of his pack is that stupid but in the back of the van/lorry. Ooh I've fallen over. And again. And again. And again. And again. Ooh, a potato!

It's just so slapstick and Three Stooges that it takes me out of all the suspense.

I love Hitchcock, he's my favourite director by far, and I own:

Complete Hitchcock Collection (14 discs with the Universal films [Psycho, Vertigo, Rope etc])
Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection (big box 7 disc with the MGM's [Dial M, N by NW etc])
The Early Hitchcock Collection (9 discs of early UK/Silent films [Blackmail, Skin Game etc])
Hitchcock Presents series 1 & 2
North by Northwest, Psycho steelbook and 39 Steps blu-rays

I know I'm msiing some classics like Rebecca, To Catch a Thief and Notorious, but does anyone know if there's any BD releases planned to save me double dipping?
Old 6th May 2011, 04:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
There's a lot of love for Frenzy on this thread, but I find it polarises me.

The rape/murder scenes are incredibly acted, and that tracking show where he take sthe girl into his flat, shuts the door and then the camera backs up, down the stairs and out of the door - stunning stuff.

But the thing that forever drops it down into the middle of his pack is that stupid but in the back of the van/lorry. Ooh I've fallen over. And again. And again. And again. And again. Ooh, a potato!
Yes! I totally agree with this, it really messes with the tone of the film for me in a similar way to the comic relief offered by the bumbling cops in Last House On The Left.

It's just so slapstick and Three Stooges that it takes me out of all the suspense.
Quote:
I love Hitchcock, he's my favourite director by far, and I own:

Complete Hitchcock Collection (14 discs with the Universal films [Psycho, Vertigo, Rope etc])
Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection (big box 7 disc with the MGM's [Dial M, N by NW etc])
The Early Hitchcock Collection (9 discs of early UK/Silent films [Blackmail, Skin Game etc])
Hitchcock Presents series 1 & 2
North by Northwest, Psycho steelbook and 39 Steps blu-rays
Oddly enough, I have pretty much the same collection as you, minus the blurays. I really need to get the British Years boxset which has a lot of films I still don't own.
Old 6th May 2011, 04:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Yes! I totally agree with this, it really messes with the tone of the film for me in a similar way to the comic relief offered by the bumbling cops in Last House On The Left.
Haha, I forgot about them!
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:46 AM
Cult Rookie

Reading the thread makes me want to go to bed and watch some Alfred Hitchcock films on my portable DVD player, as it is rainy/stormy weather it seems even more appropriate.

I've seen and loved Vertigo, Suspicion, Rear Window and the Man Who Knew too Much (with Jimmy Stewart).

I've got two more of his films on DVD but I have not yet watched them. I've seen others at a cheap shop and the only thing that stopped me from buying was the price wasn't marked.
Old 29th October 2011, 01:55 AM
Active Cultist

Hitch directed my all-time favorite movie: Rear Window.

I also love Vertigo and Psycho.
Old 19th April 2012, 03:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

who's the real one ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitchcock-hopkins-compare.jpg (62.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 19th April 2012, 03:41 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
who's the real one ?
I hope that wasn't a serious question?

Like this? Share it using the links below!