Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: What are your favourite Rob Zombie Movies?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What are your favourite Rob Zombie Movies?

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2022, 05:24 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
A new trailer already!

It also looks like the home release is set for September 27th so does this suggest that it is not going to be released to the cinema??
I actually like that trailer better than the first one.
Old 20th July 2022, 05:50 PM
Cult Veteran

I think it’s going straight to Netflix too!
I am looking forward to this one it should be fun.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st July 2022, 06:38 AM
Cult Master

Well, this article from High Def Digest answers some questions!

"Rob Zombie's The Munsters Creeps Its Way Onto Blu-ray September 27th

Ever since this project was announced there has been a lot of controversy about Rob Zombie's The Munsters. While Zombie fans have hoped for the best, fans of the classic television series The Munsters have been bracing for the worst. After the less than enthusiastic reaction to the first trailer and news the film would be streaming exclusively on Netflix without word of a theatrical outing and news that the film has moved streaming services from its original home at Peacock to Netflix, the wind is not in this film's favor - to say the least.

Rob Zombie has taken to various social media platforms to correct the rumor that The Munsters was going to originally premier on Peacock and was sold off to Netflix. Apparently, it was always going to be on Netflix from the very beginning. The assumption that the film would be on Peacock came from the observation that since the film was funded by Universal Studios who owns Peacock and the original television series The Munsters is streaming on said service - so would the new movie.

As a fan of House of a Thousand Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, and some aspects of his Halloween films, I keep rooting for Zombie to score a hit and prove he's a worthwhile filmmaker. I am going into this film cautiously with expectations set pretty low. I'm hoping to be surprised. I want to be surprised. But even after this new trailer that does actually look somewhat better, I still can't muster up a lot of excitement."

Here's what's coming in the Blu-ray:

EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY:
  • The Munsters: Return To Mockingbird Lane – From the mind of Rob Zombie, this hour-long look behind the scenes of The Munsters gives an intimate window into his filmmaking process. Watch as he weaves his way through the production and collaborates with a dedicated team to bring his unique vision to life.
  • Feature Commentary With Director/Writer/Producer Rob Zombie

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY:
  • Street Date: September 27, 2022
  • Selection Number: 1000818724 (US) /1000818724 (CDN)
  • Layers: BD 50
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.78:1 Widescreen
  • Rating: PG for macabre and suggestive material, scary images, and language
  • Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French European, Latin American Spanish
  • Sound: Feature in English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Latin American Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1 and bonus in English Dolby Digital 2.0
  • Run Time: 01:49:37

So much for the 2.5 hour version, unless there is going to be an extended version sometime in the future! Mind you, someone has produced a version of the first trailer in BW, and general consensus is that it makes the film look a lot better...

...so maybe, at some point, we are going to get a version of the film like this as well!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st July 2022, 06:45 AM
Cult Master

Here's another article - this time from USA Today

"Monster fan Rob Zombie has long held a special place in his heart for 1960s sitcom “The Munsters,” from his prekindergarten days to later years as a rock star and filmmaker. He even built an exact duplicate of Herman and Lily’s creepy old place on Mockingbird Lane.

The construction project wasn’t just for fun, though: Zombie writes and directs “The Munsters,” arriving Sept. 27 on Blu-ray, DVD and on-demand platforms (with a Netflix release planned later this year). The horror comedy – with its latest trailer premiering exclusively at usatoday.com – delves into the early years of the beloved characters originally played by Fred Gwynne, Yvonne De Carlo and Al Lewis and introduces them to a new generation.

While little kids might not be ready for Zombie’s earlier R-rated fare like “House of 1000 Corpses” or “The Lords of Salem,” his PG “Munsters” is meant to be watched by all ages. “The movie is layered and weird, but it's bizarrely innocent. I feel like it's the perfect Halloween movie,” says Zombie, who likens the film to “a live-action cartoon.”

The film leans heavily into the groovy, good-natured ’60s vibe – “I wasn't trying to reinvent ‘The Munsters’ because I love it,” Zombie says – yet it needed a different approach to avoid being a two-hour version of a TV episode. So Zombie focused his narrative on “everything they couldn't or didn't do on the show,” delving into the Frankenstein-style creation of lovably goofy Herman (Jeff Daniel Phillips), the love story between Herman and the bewitching Lily (Sheri Moon Zombie, the director's wife and frequent star) and the ways her vampire dad, The Count (Daniel Roebuck), comes between them.

“Herman's a complete knucklehead,” says Zombie, 57. “Lily's always in charge and she's almost like the straight person so that the knucklehead jokes work. And then The Count fluctuates between the two, thinking Herman's an idiot but then somehow getting involved in his ridiculous schemes.

“You don't start off with all the characters together (but) it's that three-headed beast of all of them that I love.”

Because the old show took place mostly inside the Munsters’ home, Zombie says his biggest job was “just trying to create an entire world.” But the classic house was a must-have. While previous reboots (like the 1988 to 1991 revival "The Munsters Today") used different spooky residences, Zombie and his team crafted their meticulously detailed replica on the set in Budapest. “As much as I like being there, I had to come home at some point,” the filmmaker says.

The new “Munsters” features appearances from original stars Pat Priest and Butch Patrick (who played Herman and Lily's niece Marilyn and son Eddie, respectively) as well as a slew of supporting characters from the old show, including Herman’s funeral-home boss Mr. Gateman (Jeremy Wheeler), Lily’s werewolf brother Lester (Tomas Boykin) and Uncle Gilbert, better known as the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Some fresh personalities haunt the movie, too, like Dr. Wolfgang (Richard Brake) and his assistant Floop (Jorge Garcia) – the guys responsible for giving Herman life – plus Mockingbird Heights real estate agent Barbara Carr (Cassandra Peterson, aka Elvira).

The trailer shows glimpses of these kooky folks, Herman and Lily’s colorful courtship and other classic “Munsters” shenanigans. The movie’s setting, however, is purposefully not contemporary. “Modern stuff and modern jokes date very badly and very quickly,” Zombie says. So scenes in Transylvania look like “it's 1890 but they have cars and television sets” while America resembles the late ’60s when Zombie first fell for the OG “Munsters” as a kid.

He was drawn to the show's marriage of vintage Universal horror characters with the sitcoms of the time: “If you don't look at it and you just listen to it, it sounds like you're watching ‘Father Knows Best,’ ‘Leave It to Beaver’ or ‘My Three Sons.’ The only thing that's different is that they're monsters.”

Zombie's fandom continued into his rock career – his “Munsters”-inspired debut single “Dragula” was a hit in 1998 – and he initially expressed an interest in making a “Munsters” movie in 2000 while working on his debut feature, “House of 1000 Corpses.” The rights were tied up with other producers, and “Munsters” bounced between various departments at Universal until it came back into play three years ago

The heavy-metal star, whose latest tour kicks off this week, wrote new music for “The Munsters” to go with the infectious '’60s theme song and found it “natural” to be making a family-friendly film for a change. “We never did anything that didn't fit the mold of what ‘The Munsters’ is,” he says. “But actually I was surprised. I thought, ‘Oh, they'll find some reason to say it's PG-13,’ even though I couldn't figure out what that would be.

“I didn't want to get in there and turn it into some other thing. Sure, that could be weird and interesting, but it would instantly not be ‘The Munsters’ as far as I'm concerned.”"
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 21st July 2022, 07:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rob made a comment and put ppl straight about the Munsters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 993C27C8-5E75-410A-B7AB-68914B147ED7.jpg (89.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 21st July 2022, 08:00 AM
Cult Master

A lot of people just have it in for Rob Zombie from day one when he started directing.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st July 2022, 08:35 AM
Cult Veteran

I agree, people are going way too hard on this movie RZ fans are going to say it's too soft and Munsters fans are going to say it's too weird, and everyone else will be like RZ can't make films, the guy can't win

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st July 2022, 01:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I hope it gets a UK Blu-ray release.

I'm not really into The Munsters but love most* of Rob's films so do want to see it.

*Halloween II
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:51 AM
Cult Master

Um... It's not often that words fail me, but...

"With Rob Zombie‘s The Munsters coming to Blu-ray and VOD on September 27, a song from the soundtrack has been released onto retro Vinyl this week.

Waxwork Records presents “I Got You Babe,” a new take on the Sonny & Cher track, as a deluxe 12″ single pressed to 180 gram Yellow vinyl! Featuring performances by Sheri Moon Zombie & Jeff Daniel Phillips, the track is produced by Rob Zombie and Zeuss!

The B-Side features an etching of the two kooky love birds and is housed in a psychedelic heavyweight jacket with matte satin coating presented with all new art by Rob Zombie!"

nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!