Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2013, 12:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Clive Barker

I know he is more of a book writer cut he has made a foray into directing with films like Hellraiser, Lord Of Illusions, Nightbreed and produced Dread, Book Of Blood etc.

So do you wish he would direct more films or do you think he should stick to writing?
Old 13th June 2013, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I know he is more of a book writer cut he has made a foray into directing with films like Hellraiser, Lord Of Illusions, Nightbreed and produced Dread, Book Of Blood etc.

So do you wish he would direct more films or do you think he should stick to writing?
We can wish as much as we want, it is pretty unlikely that he will ever direct a film again, for several reasons as he often stated himself:

- he has barely time to finish all the stuff he is writing or painting at the same tiem

- he will hardly find the right producer who gives him enough cash and full artistic freedom

- he has had too many fights with big bosses in the film industry (which is related to the second reason)

I had the luck to meet Clive after the German premiere of Hellraiser in Berlin, we had a nice 30 minute chat and I could feel his anger about the censored scenes the German version had and I can only imagine how furious he was after Nightbreed had been butchered by the studio - still, he tried one more time and managed a quite decent film with Lords of Illusion, but he kinda stated after that, that he does not see a way to fairly transfer his words into film...
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 13th June 2013, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I started reading Cabal this week for the first time, it's so good I can hardly put it down! To be quite frank I've only ever seen Hellraiser of his film work and I've only ever read Books of Blood part 1 and Hellbound Heart of his written work, but after Cabal I'm going to get into his written work much deeper, luckily the library has loads of his books.

Any recommendations?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th June 2013, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Any recommendations?
Weaveworld - it is simply great!

If you like it short and inventive, try Mister B. Goode.

All books I have read had a very special touch and he never really disappointed me...
Justin101 likes this.
Old 13th June 2013, 01:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I would say, as with any artist, that he should be free to do whatever makes him happy. If we get entertained as a by-product, then all the better.

Saying that, I wish someone would publish The Scarlet Gospels, which is all but completed by all accounts.
Rik and Roughale like this.
Old 13th June 2013, 01:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Saying that, I wish someone would publish The Scarlet Gospels, which is all but completed by all accounts.
I've been waiting well over 10 years for this, he Tweeted about 3 years back that it just needs a publisher
Roughale likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Rik; 13th June 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 13th June 2013, 01:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've been waiting well over 10 years for this, he Tweeted about 3 tears back that it just needs a publisher
Really? Is that a problem now too? My last status of it was that the last handwriting he did, had to be proof read, maybe that was before that, I kinda lost hope...
Old 13th June 2013, 01:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I think he's concentrating more on the Abarat series, they seem to be more popular, than getting the Scarlet Gospels out there
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th September 2013, 03:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finally!!!!!

Barker: D'Amour versus Pinhead Novel, The Scarlet Gospels, is Done! | Shock Till You Drop
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 17th October 2013, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

More news on The Scarlet Gospels, still another 2 ****ing years to wait!

The Official Clive Barker Website - News Scarlet Gospels

Like this? Share it using the links below!