Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   Terence Fisher Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/12148-terence-fisher-films.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 31st March 2014 12:17 PM

Terence Fisher Films

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Hammer Hounds!

When it comes to Hammer Horror, two names instantly spring to mind, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Followed perhaps by some of the Hammer Glamour like Ursula Andress, but perhaps one of the biggest influences and names in Hammer's history is undoubtably, the late great Terence Fisher.

Director of Hammer classics including The Curse Of The Werewolf, The Mummy, The Devil Rides Out and the Frankenstein series, he's surely got to be one of the greatest British horror directors OF ALL TIME!

With his final horror movie, Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell coming to DVD/Blu-ray in just a few weeks, here's a thread to discuss this master of horror.

What where your best Fisher films? Your least favourites?

Share any pics below and post your thoughts - lets make this the ultimate tribute to a legendary British horror director!

Pick up his excellent horror film, Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell, staring Peter Cushing on DVD/Blu-ray Double Play from here. With all previously censored scenes restored and packed with extras its a must have for British Horror fans!

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2014 12:44 PM

Why didn't you call Island of the Burning Damned by its proper title of Night of the Big Heat Kyle?

I had to look it up to find out what it was.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 31st March 2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 398496)
Why didn't you call Island of the Burning Damned by its proper title of Night of the Big Heat Kyle?

I had to look it up to find out what it was.

It's just how it was on IMDb Dem. It's one of Fisher's that I've not seen before - what it like?

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 398498)
It's just how it was on IMDb Dem. It's one of Fisher's that I've not seen before - what it like?

I used to have it on vhs but i can't remember much about it to be honest.

It was kind of linked to Island of Terror as it was on the same label, but not as good if i recall.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2014 01:29 PM

Back on track...

...What a seriously fine body of work Terence Fisher has. A lot of people think Freddie Francis was the best director doing the rounds at the time, but i've always preferred Fisher.

Horror of Dracula, Revenge of Frankenstein, The Mummy and The Devil Rides Out to name but four. Puts him in the same league as Kubrick et al in my book.

Demoncrat 31st March 2014 04:51 PM

Harumph. NOTBH is easily better than IOT.

Imho.

:nod:

Vampix 31st March 2014 05:18 PM

He's one of the finest horror movie director's ever! I don't think there's one film of his I don't enjoy.

oaxaca 31st March 2014 08:09 PM

Terence Fisher is the first director that springs to mind when I think of Hammer. He didn't direct my absolute favourite Hammer film but he did direct many great ones.

His best in my opinion are BRIDES, HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, THE GORGON and THE DEVIL RIDES OUT but they are all such great films that I can watch and rewatch over again. (although I'm not sure I've ever seen ISLAND OF TERROR).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st March 2014 08:25 PM

I've seen all those films listed and truthfully,the only one I haven't enjoyed was THE TWO FACES OF DOCTOR JEKYLL.
The Earth Dies Screaming is a perfect Sunday afternooner!

Dave Boy 31st March 2014 08:27 PM

A list of the Terence Fisher films I have...

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

The Devil Rides Out

Night of the Big Heat

Frankenstein Created Woman

Island of Terror

Dracula: Prince of Darkness

The Earth Dies Screaming

The Gorgon

The Phantom of the Opera

The Curse of the Werewolf

Sword of Sherwood Forest