Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Like Tree620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2021, 04:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Looks more like a Clark Gable impersonation than anything satanic.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 8th February 2021, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Looks more like a Clark Gable impersonation than anything satanic.
I thought it was Robert Downey after a bad night on the town!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th February 2021, 06:54 PM
Cult Master

Christ on a bike i forgot about this thread
Old 8th February 2021, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Christ on a bike i forgot about this thread
We tried to too.
Old 8th February 2021, 07:16 PM
Cult Master

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
We tried to too.
Old 26th February 2021, 05:16 PM
Cult Master

The_Invisible_Ray_poster.jpg

Dr. Janos Rukh invites some fellow doctors and friends to his house to show them his latest invention a giant telescope that can see into the depths of space that no one has ever seen before. The telescope captures rays of light that allow Janos to see into the past where he witnesses a meteor crashing into earth. He pitches the idea to his collegues to go to Africa to track down the meteor and take it back to Europe. While digging up the meteor Janos gets exposed to the radiation that will surely claim his life but Dr. Benet (Lugosi) creates an antidote to save his life. Dr. Benet chips off a peice of the meteor and takes it back with him to help cure blindness and while he is getting great success his friend is left suffering the side effects of the radiation when at night he starts to glow in the dark and even his touch can kill a person. Janos is enraged by the fact his friend stole his discovery and is getting all the benifits and glory while his is left hiding in the shadows with his afliction so he sets out to get his revenge on all the members of the expedition.

Two greats on screen together is such a joy to watch they play off of each other perfectly. I love the sets the acting the pacing of the film everything just works i always laugh that peoples complaints about this film is the science makes no scense i mean come on who goes into a film like this and picks hole in that the science is rediculous but the glowing man is fine give me a break . My main problem with a lot of films of the time is that they fly by too quickly i always want more its not that its left unresolves or im not satisfied with how things play out its just that the acting and stories are so fun i just want to watch it again straight after it finished. The film while not strictly horror it has plebty of elements of horror and more of a horror atmosphere and that blends perfectly with the drama and sci-fi.

I love this film and over the years i have watched it many time and i still get excited to see Lugosi and Karloff together its just a blast from start to finish.

9/10

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 27th February 2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 26th February 2021, 05:30 PM
Cult Master

postal-inspector-movie-poster-md.jpg

After The Invisible Ray Bela took on the role of Gregory Benez in 1936s Postal Inspector again moving away from horror.

Bela would of starred about about 10 films by the time it has taken me to get back to this thread .
Old 26th February 2021, 06:40 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMGYyZmM5MTktNTI1Yy00YTdlLThlNjUtYmI1ZmU5YWRmYzA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzc5ODc1MDY@._V1_.jpg

A shipment of soon to be retired money is getting transfered to Washinton D.C by post. During the transfer there is wild and extreme flooding that hampers the delivery. There is 3 million dollar involved so there is a massive target on the shipment and not that it has to be moved during a flood its going to be even easier to steal.

This film is all over the place and i have read that there were a few different prints of the film after the film was lost so all we are left with is a 56 minute film. It takes about 40 minutes before anything really happens and that first 40 minutes is full of singing and really out of place comedy moments espcially in the post office where they have tons of gadgets that people mail ordered for hair growth and making a person taller and so on. Then suddenly the film goes into full on action mode with a speedboat chase through the flooded countryside which was pertty cool looking. Its a real shame they had to peice the film together like this it totally ruins the pacing of the film and it felt like some scenes cut off while there is still some dialogue left to be spoken. Bela Lugosi barely gets chance to shine really he is only in a few scenes and while he is head and shoulders above everyone else his appearances are few and far between.

To be honest the main thing that ruins the film is the singing it just pops up at the most random times

Its hard to rate the film the way it had to be put together but i can only review whats infront of me.

4/10
Old 26th February 2021, 06:57 PM
Cult Master

shadow-of-chinatown-lobby-card-a.jpg

Yet another role in 1936 for Bela this time it was a 15 part series it also released in theaters in a trimmed down 70+ minutes as oppsed to the 4 hrs and 17 minutes of the series. I will be checking out the theater release.
Old 26th February 2021, 08:24 PM
Cult Master

download.jpeg

A woman hires a chemist and inventor to help her take down a group of merchants in Chinatown. He uses he crazy inventions and a little bit of hypnotism to stay one step of the law.

Its not a very deep story its more of a cat and mouse chase as they are always one step behind Victor Poten ( Lugosi) and his henchmen. This is not a great film and im really happy i opted for the shorter version because even that drags at points so i can only imagine having to spend another three hours with this would of been really hard to get through the whole thing. Along the way there are some fun fight scenes and crazy looking stunts mixed with a few fast forward cae chases

Not one of Lugosi's better roles his character is written pretty bad trying to capitalize on his horror roles not giving him much chance to act with too many scenes of him just standing there saying nothing or getting chased out of the scene a real shame he could of brought so much to the film because the rest of the cast lack any sort of charisma.

4/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!