Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: What do you think of director M. Night Shyamalan?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What do you think of director M. Night Shyamalan?

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2015, 08:16 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

THE SIXTH SENSE,UNBREAKABLE and THE VILLAGE all pulled the carpet from under us.
It pisses some people off that they fell for it.

Unfortunately THE HAPPENING and the one about a frigging fairy were utter drivel.
Vipp likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
THE SIXTH SENSE,UNBREAKABLE and THE VILLAGE all pulled the carpet from under us.
It pisses some people off that they fell for it.

I'd say you're missing the point here Reaps.

The Village was a lazy cop out. A film like your beloved Wicker Man pulled the carpet out by burning poor old Howie.

Imagine if the fire brigade had arrived told every one how dangerous it is to play with matches and everyone buggered off home sulking - That's how M Night would have ended it.
Old 29th April 2015, 08:00 AM
Cult Master

Am I the only person who guessed what the ending of 'The Sixth Sense' was from the trailer?

I also guessed what was happening in 'The Village' about half way thru

Since then, whenever I have watched one of his films, I have been too busy trying to work out what the twist is going to be, rather than actually enjoying the movie
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th April 2015, 08:12 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought The Sixth Sense was brilliant on first viewing and, even though I know the twist, still think it's a terrific piece of filmmaking. Signs was a mess and Unbreakable was fairly solid, but unspectacular.

The Happening couldn't have had a worse title considering how little happened; The Village couldn't maintain the air of seriousness and descended into farce about halfway through but they are all masterpieces compared to Lady in the Water, a self-indulgent piece of tosh in which MNS casts himself (he was previously just in cameo roles) as the saviour of the world. Devil was alright but, because of the knowledge there would be a trick ending, I spent about half the film guessing who the titular character was, only to be proved right before the end credits rolled. (Another plus for Devil is it was mercifully short!

As for trying to resurrect his career with a found footage film well, sorry Mr Shyamalan, but that ship has sailed.
Old 29th April 2015, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One trick pony is putting it mildly. Cried with laughter during Signs, after that I've avoided his rampant egotism.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2015, 01:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
One trick pony is putting it mildly. Cried with laughter during Signs, after that I've avoided his rampant egotism.
Well said, D! I have a one word opinion of him, AWFUL! I've hours of my life that I need to get back off him.
Demoncrat likes this.

Last edited by mr 420; 29th April 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I think he made a few very god films that had plot twists built into them, i will never forget how the hair stood up on my neck during the scene in 'the sixth sense' when Bruce turns up the volume on th tape casette recording of the guy speaking with the ghosts in the room with him... I also enjoyed Signs and i thought with better casting 'The happening' could have been an okay film. i didn;t care for unbreakable, good idea but nothing i'm really to fussed about and that lady in the water film baffled me so i tuned out. finally i really enjoyed the Village.

Here is my issue... I have seen Derren Brown live on stage a few times now and at the start of his show, during the intervaland when you leave he will say 'Please DON'T tell your friends about the show because it will ruin the suprise' Now we don;t go in droves to say Derren is a one trick pony because he does the same show and it has the same twist because we enjoy his work and what good can come from stopping the magician from earning a living? so i don;t think M Night is a one trick pony, i think he became the victim of his own success... it became popular to let your mates know the twists in the films and any future release of his films only started the debate on what the twist would be... and now he is a joke of sorts but still trying to make films... it's sad to see because IF we respected him in his infancy of film making like we respect an entertainer like Derren Brown then maybe he would have had enough confidence to keep writing good films like the sixth sense? who knows? So i can;t hate him or say he is a hack but also i don;t think he is a master of cinema with a golden pen for writing amazing films... he is just okay like most film makers we all like...
Old 29th April 2015, 10:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd say you're missing the point here Reaps.

The Village was a lazy cop out. A film like your beloved Wicker Man pulled the carpet out by burning poor old Howie.

Imagine if the fire brigade had arrived told every one how dangerous it is to play with matches and everyone buggered off home sulking - That's how M Night would have ended it.
No I'm not missing the point.
I'm expressing my opinion.
The Village had people believing that it was set in an olden time/mythical time.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th April 2015, 10:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Take away the stupid plot twist from SIGNS and you still have a fairly atmospheric and creepy alien invasion flick.
Vipp likes this.

Old 29th April 2015, 10:51 PM
Cult Master

Maybe should see a few more of his films before I vote, I have only seen The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!