Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   Christopher Lee Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/13022-christopher-lee-chat.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 27th May 2015 03:33 PM

Christopher Lee Chat

Hello!

Today marks the 93rd birthday of the legendary cult star, Christopher Lee! 93 years and going strong, especially with his recent heavy metal album released last year.

Here is a thread to discuss all things Lee.

Which three movies of his are your all time faves? Let us know why below...

Demoncrat 27th May 2015 03:46 PM

Theatre Of Death (1967)....for that jacket alone ahem.
TWM (1973)....well, I would be churlish not to....
Horror Express (1972). Why not?? It's nae like I'm going to pick Scars Of Dracula is it??:lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th May 2015 04:25 PM

A true living legend who has been entertaining me pretty much all of my life.

I'd be here all day if I were to try and list them all, but here are a scattering of my favourite Lee films/performances (delete as appropriate...):

The City of the Dead (1960)
The Devil Rides Out (1968)
Dr Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
Dracula (1958)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
Horror Express (1972)
Scream of Fear (1961)
The Wicker Man (1973)

etc.

Inspector Abberline 27th May 2015 04:57 PM

Dracfather

Just pure class.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8847/...d3f5f7f4_c.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2015 06:44 PM

It's not just his classic lead roles either.

His presence adds gravitas to every film he appears in. For example -

Sleepy Hollow
Hugo
Dark Shadows
The Resident
The Golden Compass
Greyfriars Bobby

Even Peter Jackson and George Lucas knew he would add class to their CGI comic fests.

I urge everyone to seek out Gormenghast and watch the great man play Flay in the tv version of the classic Gothic novel.

Vampix 27th May 2015 07:31 PM

Wow, 93 and still going strong. Good for him! Here's a smattering of my Chris Lee faves:
The Wicker Man
Horror Express
The Man with the Golden Gun
Dracula
The Creeping Flesh
The Devil Rides Out
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Satanic Rites of Dracula

Happy Birthday Chris, and may there be, at least, a few more. :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th May 2015 09:14 AM

I was surprised to learn – via Wikipedia – that he 'speaks fluent English, Italian, French, Spanish and German, and is moderately proficient in Swedish, Russian and Greek.'

I've known for a while that he considers his best performance to be as the title character in Jinnah but, as the DVD seems to be unavailable at a reasonable price, haven't managed to watch it yet.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 451539)
I was surprised to learn – via Wikipedia – that he 'speaks fluent English, Italian, French, Spanish and German, and is moderately proficient in Swedish, Russian and Greek.'

I've known for a while that he considers his best performance to be as the title character in Jinnah but, as the DVD seems to be unavailable at a reasonable price, haven't managed to watch it yet.

Have you read his autobiography Lord of Misrule Nos?

Well worth checking out. He comes across exactly the same with the written word as he does in reality.

P-Mac 28th May 2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 451492)

I urge everyone to seek out Gormenghast and watch the great man play Flay in the tv version of the classic Gothic novel.

Agreed!

He has recently signed up to star in a 9/11 drama alongside Uma Thurman. Legend, great to see him still active!

Top 3:
The Wicker Man
Horror of Dracula
The Man with the Golden Gun

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th May 2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 451549)
Have you read his autobiography Lord of Misrule Nos?

Well worth checking out. He comes across exactly the same with the written word as he does in reality.

I can see the spine right now as it's amongst the dozen or so (maybe over 20) non-academic books I want to read before going back to uni in October. I'm not sure whether to read it before or after John Cleese's So, Anyway… The Autobiography and Lessons on Becoming Myself by Ellen Burstyn, which I've read a couple of chapters already. I have no doubt all three will be terrific reads.