Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2009, 07:29 PM
Active Cultist

Default The Abel Ferrara Thread

Hi

Another discussion thread has inspired me to make the following suggestions.

Basically, Abel Ferrara as a director is very underrated in my opinion, although it can be said that he is one of those 'love him or hate him' kind of people in terms of the films he makes, a cult director then really.

But he is one of my favourite director's and I think his work should be more readily available, especially in the UK. Or the editions that are currently available in the UK could be improved upon, with better restorations and more extras.

Although I do realise that his films aren't really exclusive to any particular genre, he's made all sorts of films, from the well-known video nasty 'The Driller Killer', exploitation classic 'Ms.45: Angel of Vengeance' to the gangster classics 'King of New York' and 'The Funeral' and then his other maverick productions such as 'Bad Lieutenant' and the quite surreal vampire film, 'The Addiction'.

His catalogue is pretty vast so there is lots to choose from, you could go with more well-known titles or less-known titles that aren't readily available here in the UK.

So, yeah, just a suggestion that I thought I would put out there for you guys.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
LineSix
Old 28th October 2009, 07:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think a certain DVD Guru may release MS.45 on DVD next year.....I've a sneaky feeling....

DRILLER KILLER needs a decent UK release complete with original nasty artwork.

Arrow's KONY is the best UK release so far.....

BAD LIEUTENANT needs the SE treatment.....

BODY SNATCHERS is another......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:37 PM
Active Cultist

Who or what is DVD Guru?

I know there are a few UK editions of The Driller Killer but they really aren't on the same level as the US 2-disc version with some of Ferrara's short fims included.

I know that Arrow did release King of New York last year, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I have read many reviews saying that there are problems with the audio and that it should be avoided because it sounds like there is constant background noise throughout the film so it is hard to hear anything else in the film itself. Although they may have corrected this issue with more recent disc printings, so I don't know really.

The Bad Lieutenant has recently been re-released in the States with an audio commentary with Abel Ferrara and the director of photography and it also has a few featurettes on there aswell. The UK version is a full screen version that was released six years ago, so yeah, I think it needs a re-release over here with a widescreen remaster and extras.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Someone prolific in the DVD industry was talking about his company releasing a cult gem next year.....'An unreleased grindhouse classic'....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Someone prolific in the DVD industry was talking about his company releasing a cult gem next year.....'An unreleased grindhouse classic'....
That could be anything though really.
Old 28th October 2009, 08:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I KNOW he wanted to release this though.I'm not being an arse mate,but if I say who it is and then he doesn't,then I'll look like an arse....

Old 28th October 2009, 08:04 PM
Active Cultist

Is it a UK company that want to release it? Like, is it going to be an actual UK release or fully uncut US release? As I know they had it released over there years back in a cut form.

If it's a US version I think I have an idea of who your talking about.
Old 28th October 2009, 08:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i didnt know he did anything else apart from driller killer
Old 28th October 2009, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSix View Post
Is it a UK company that want to release it? Like, is it going to be an actual UK release or fully uncut US release? As I know they had it released over there years back in a cut form.

If it's a US version I think I have an idea of who your talking about.
No it's a UK company mate,and not one involved with Cult Labs......

Anyway,back to the subject of Ferrara's films,if it happens,then we'll rejoice....

Think NINE LIVES OF A WET PUSSY would pass uncut?

Old 28th October 2009, 08:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchslicer View Post
i didnt know he did anything else apart from driller killer
Take the BLACK AND DECKER PORTO-PAK to this mans head please.....

Like this? Share it using the links below!