Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2010, 04:59 PM
Cult Rookie

That sucks, hopefully he get`s well soon.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
John Carpenter suffered a Seizure on saturday at a convention after signing autographs. He was taken away in an ambulance and is said to be doing fine as it was only a mild one and is said to not be in any critical condition.

Sad news indeed this but it sounds like he's ok. here's the story....

JOHN CARPENTER SEIZURE
Whoa! That blows, one of my fave genre directors ever. Grew up on his films. Get well soon John, best wishes.

You make it easy.
Old 12th October 2010, 01:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Carpenter has looked a bit ropey in recent interviews. I hope he's ok. I still reckon he's got another genius movie up his sleeve.

With no small coincendence, I had a BR double bill of Carpenter movies on Saturday night; Escape From New York and The Fog.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:27 AM
Cult Rookie

"The Thing" absolutely fantastic movie, the transfer to blu-ray is flawless and looks superb and to me "Halloween" is still the best horror movie ever made, modern day horror films don't even come close to "Halloween", they just don't know how to scare you properly now.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Carpenter has looked a bit ropey in recent interviews.
Carpenter has started to look more and more like Lo-Pan from Big Trouble In Little China. Still love the guy though....
Old 25th November 2010, 08:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
Carpenter has started to look more and more like Lo-Pan from Big Trouble In Little China. Still love the guy though....
Good description! I just wish he'd make more movies, despite the creative lull. I feel that had his output been a bit more prolific then we might have seen a gem en par with his golden perios during the late seventies/early eighties. A man can dream

The work he did for Masters of Horror; Cigarette Burns and Pro-Life were decent enough so I think he's still got a classic in him somewhere. But, then I enjoyed Ghosts of Mars and don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some make out, so read into that what you want. or
Old 12th December 2010, 12:48 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Halloween 3

I've just finished watching Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. I know Carpenter didn't direct but this film oozes atmosphere reminiscent of Assault on Precinct 13,The Fog, The Thing, etc. Plus Halloween 3 has quite possibly Carpenters best moody synth score! It's seriously quite unsettling in places. I know the Michael Myers fans will shoot me down for saying it but Halloween 3 has great atmosphere and mood - not a bad movie at all and seriously recommended to Carpenter fans.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blair View Post
I've just finished watching Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. I know Carpenter didn't direct but this film oozes atmosphere reminiscent of Assault on Precinct 13,The Fog, The Thing, etc. Plus Halloween 3 has quite possibly Carpenters best moody synth score! It's seriously quite unsettling in places. I know the Michael Myers fans will shoot me down for saying it but Halloween 3 has great atmosphere and mood - not a bad movie at all and seriously recommended to Carpenter fans.
I agree with all that you've said. I'll add that I wonder if Carpenter had more hand in the direction, or at least in the creative choices made on H3. A little like saying Tobe Hooper directed Poltergeist. Well, it looked a lot like Spielberg's hand to me.

The H3 score is one of my favourites and adds more to the atmosphere generated by Dean Cundney's excellent night cinematography. Michael Myers, post Halloween 3 is for meatheads (sorry to any actual fans ) and I will always wonder what would have been made had the Halloweens continued along a movie of the year instead of churning out one Myers movie after another.
Nowadays, we have the Saw and Paranormal Inactivity films.
Old 14th December 2010, 01:36 PM
Active Cultist

The guy is great. I think the only movie of his I don't love is Village of the Damned.
He has gotta have one of the strongest runs of films ever. From Assault on Precinct 13 to (I want to say In The Mouth of Madness but it's been so long since I've seen Invisible Man that it wouldn't be fair to assume greatness) They Live, 12 movies and all winners.

Here's my DVD/BD collection.

Not in the picture is Cigarette Burns on BD and DVD.
Also, back in the UK are another copy of The Thing, The Fog, Big Trouble, Cigarette Burns. Escape From LA and Village of the Damned, too.
And I was sure I had In The Mouth of Madness but I can't see that anywhere.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 14th December 2010, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I got the Vampires Blu this month!! Can't wait to watch it!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!