Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Like Tree246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2018, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Another excellent review, sir.

The Fog is one of my top ten films ever alongside the likes of Casablanca, The Empire Strikes Back and Jaws.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another excellent review, sir.

The Fog is one of my top ten films ever alongside the likes of Casablanca, The Empire Strikes Back and Jaws.
I watched Jaws again a few weeks back or so. Shortly afterwards I did a top 35 films list (I couldn't do anything less, it was too hard and it was no particular order). That one is definitely in that list, along with The Fog and Empire (haven't seen Casablanca yet). The Thing would also be included.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ironically I've just finished watching this for the hundredth time, I love this film and never get bored of it. I find it very well paced, good characters, the Fog is done brilliantly for its time, the ghost lepers are quite, haunting and kept in the shadows for the main part which adds to their eerieness. An amazing soundtrack and still to this day, I still love it when Blake kills Father Malone at the end and the music kicks in. Up there with the best for me and I don't have to compare to any other Carpenter film to benchmark it as they all mean something different to me and are special in their own way.

The remake is absolutely woeful which I turned off after 30 mins and should have led to jail sentences for the makers.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
The remake is absolutely woeful which I turned off after 30 mins and should have led to jail sentences for the makers.
I bought it by accident 5 years ago: I was in a rush, saw it with The Fog on the front of the case and without really thinking just assumed it was the Original. Suffice it to say, I got a surprise when I got home...

To this day I still haven't watched it. I will at some point but i'm in no rush.
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I always tend to watch it around Halloween. However this year i'm determined to watch it on the 21st of April.

Any rock fans might like this song by Goth metal band The Vision Bleak. It mixes the films score with rock guitar and the opening campfire tale. I love it!

The Vision Bleak - Elizabeth Dane

profondo rosso likes this.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cool! Rock and Fog music, it goes well. Never heard of them.

I wish we could have a UK definitive release with some interesting extras for The Fog. It's about time.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

HALLOWEEN

"Hey Lonnie! ... you better git yo ass away from there!"
Wise words.
Taking on board Hitch's epigram that it's what you don't see is more suggestive, this is a masterclass in tension. But it's the little things .... "Death has come to your little town Sheriff" ... PJ Soles ... the almost adult free Haddonfield ...

Inspired by hearing BOC on the radio tbh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th March 2018, 12:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I used to work with someone who was previously employed at a Nottingham theatre. He gave me a Donald Pleasence signed photo as a present. Is framed and hanging on one of my lounge walls. Was a nice gift. btw I also have a John Carpenter autograph on a Halloween image but that set me back 75 quid!
Old 21st April 2018, 03:53 PM
Cult Master

"Mr. Machen: 11:55, almost midnight. Enough time for one more story. One more story before 12:00, just to keep us warm. In five minutes, it will be the 21st of April. One hundred years ago on the 21st of April, out in the waters around Spivey Point, a small clipper ship drew toward land. Suddenly, out of the night, the fog rolled in. For a moment, they could see nothing, not a foot in front of them. Then, they saw a light. By God, it was a fire burning on the shore, strong enough to penetrate the swirling mist. They steered a course toward the light. But it was a campfire, like this one. The ship crashed against the rocks, the hull sheared in two, masts snapped like a twig. The wreckage sank, with all the men aboard. At the bottom of the sea, lay the Elizabeth Dane, with her crew, their lungs filled with salt water, their eyes open, staring to the darkness. And above, as suddenly as it come, the fog lifted, receded back across the ocean and never came again. But it is told by the fishermen, and their fathers and grandfathers, that when the fog returns to Antonio Bay, the men at the bottom of the sea, out in the water by Spivey Point will rise up and search for the campfire that led them to their dark, icy death.

[bells ring distantly]

Mr. Machen: 12:00, the 21st of April."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vampires

James Woods and a Baldwin head a team of Vatican sanctioned hunters. This was the first dvd I ever saw, was taken with how 'rich' the colour palette was etc. It still looks fine I will say
A film that is lifted by Woods' performance tbh. His nemesis is 'the original vampire' or Thomas Ian Griffith's version of it anyhow . Nicotero's fingerprints are all over it. Something that dates it slightly, it's a bit too po faced .... but I still love it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!